making shelf life boilies

Hello all

i seem to be spending alot of money on baits and would like to make my own, i no how to do it but i dont like using frozen baits. does any one no how to make shelf life ones ??

thanks mike

mike finlay the carpinator

It's best not to really, as there is a big danger of using too much preservative. I always buy shelf life ones (Trigga) in preference to frozen ones, because I've had too many problems with commercially made frozen ones being far too soft or inconsistent. If I was making my own I would go for frozen every time, because I would know exactly how long I had boiled them for.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

ah so just make sure there dry and then you dont need to freeze them ??????

but what stops them going mouldy ???

mike finlay the carpinator

Basicly you need to completely dry them ie remove any moisture.Normally people use nets to keep them in.I however prefer to dry them out by laying them on toweling on my loft floor (really warm in the summer) once they have dried out (varies depending on your mix etc) I put them in buckets that have air tight lids.After a few days in the buckets it pays to just check as if there is any moisture left in the bait it will have started to sweat.Un checked the baits would go off.If sweating just dry out some more. Ive caught on air dried baits that are many years old.

Baits can also be preserved in sugar.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

but what stops them going mouldy ???

Molds (moulds) require moisture to grow. There will almost certainly be mold spores but absent any moisture, they will remain just that - tiny spores with a hard shell just waiting for some water.

They cannot grow when the bait is submerged however so long session fishing is fine.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President