surface fishing

This might sound a stupid question, but as I haven't really given surface fishing a go before would just like this cleared up for me!

Can you put the rod in the rests and use an alarm?

Was just interested because I am fishing a venue later this week which is around 30 acres and on some days fish respond nly to surface and other days only bottom baits and some days both.

So I was planning on fishing a bottom bait on one rod and surface bait on the other just to see which is working the best!

the bottom bait would be for the tench, bream and carp.

hopefully Ive made myself clear :)

A zig rig can be fished just below the surface and used with an bite alarm, but as for actually floating a bait i wouldn't recommend taking your eyes off it or you will end up targeting carp, bream, and tench on the bottom fished rod and carp,ducks,swans,geese,gulls and what ever else on your floating bait

I agree with steve, the best bit about surface fishing is creeping up on the fish and watching it take your bait.

If you were targeting fish at a distance maybe a heavy controler float set up to give a bolt effect might work.

You would still have to keep an eye on it though because as the wind blows it will probably put a fair bow in your line. I have never used an alarm but I suspect the bow would have to be taken up before the fish registers. Could well be in a snag by then.

I have only started surface fishing for carp this year and its one rod little tackle apporach moving round a water looking for fish and casting to them, its more like fly fishing than coarse fishing. You have to watch out that the birds dont get your bait. great fun on warm evenings at the end ofr the day put all your other gear in the car and go off for a bit of a wander.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

On no account rely on an alarm for surface fishing even though it would most certainly work . The fact is birds have an amazing habit of sniffing out baits on and even just below the surface and you stand a good chance of a pb goose. I can understand how a pb goose sounds tempting to some whose minds work in a funny way just as mine does but I had the ordeal once of unhooking a coot that had picked up my bait in 7 feet of water and it was no fun at all