If all the Carp went away what would replace them?

Dales

OK, I don't want to sound patronising or be all holier than thou. The only point I was trying (not very well it seems) to get across is that anglers now coming into this wonderful and varied sport often go straight into relatively easy carp fishing and may therefore miss out on other types of fishing, as they feel no need to try anything else. Fair enough, you can say that if they're happy then that's fine, but if you quickly catch lots of doubles, then a few 20s and within a year or two some 30s don't you think that they are missing out on something important?

Have a read of some of the more carp-orientated forums and see what young anglers are discussing - it's quite an eye opener.

I think this may be an issue where I know exactly how I feel and what I mean but can't quite write it out properly, and end up sounding like an arse!

Vagabond, I expect - as usual - you are right.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So in a world without Carp or at least lower numbers of them, I get the feeling that many fishery owners would seek to provide a species that grows big, fights hard, hopefully tuff to put up with the strains of being caught and poor oxygen and water quality. I am not saying it is right to do so, but I think it would happen and is happening with Carp at the moment.

But take away the Carp from heavily stocked and managed waters, would many anglers really be willing to pay big money to fish a nice and well balanced fishery with Skimmers, Roach, Rudd, Perch etc? I think many sadly not want to and so the fishery owners would turn to an alternative big fish species.

I would love to fish in a lake only filled with indigenous species, it would be a good excuse to dust the cobwebs off of my float rods! :lol::D

"Man is his own worst enemy"

-Marcus Tullius Cicero

I would love to fish in a lake only filled with indigenous species, it would be a good excuse to dust the cobwebs off of my float rods! :lol::D

You have cobwebs on your float rods?

Shame :headhurt:

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

From what I've seen of commercial carp fishing it is all about instant gratification, much like McDonalds, Eastenders, silly little vodka 'shots' etc. No need for thought, just pile in with your instant groundbait, white van full of rods, case of lager and spend the rest of the weekend watching the telly in their bivvys and throwing rubbish everywhere.

Harsh, yes. Probably not what is practiced by serious carp anglers but, when you see it on your doorstep in what was once a beautiful trout pool it makes you sick.

When parking up one day in the same car park to walk the mile to the river, two guys asked me where I was going. I said, "to the river" they raised their eyebrows, and commented on the fact that they'd thought about joining the club but they were buggered if they were going to walk a mile to fish somewhere where they might not catch anything.....phew! glad they stayed on the crap pool!

I went to fish a stretch of the Ouse with a mate a few years ago, nearby were some carp lakes, cars, radios, rubbish everywhere, blokes shouting across the water....uuuugh, my idea of hell. If people want that and it keeps them off the rivers then great.

The other end of the scale is a little estate lake that hardly anybody knows about that I can fish for a fiver a day with tench, crucians, roach, perch and wild commons. I've only fished it three times, never caught anything big (1 1/4lb roach), smashed by a carp, with kingfishers, otters and lovely surroundings. I'd rather fish that catching 6oz perch all day than a hideous comercial with double figure fish "guaranteed".

Grumpy old man?.......too right,but at least I can enjoy the peace and wildlife......and fish without any pressure at the same time!

Edited by Worms

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

The other end of the scale is a little estate lake that hardly anybody knows about that I can fish for a fiver a day with tench, crucians, roach, perch and wild commons. I've only fished it three times, never caught anything big (1 1/4lb roach), smashed by a carp, with kingfishers, otters and lovely surroundings. I'd rather fish that catching 6oz perch all day than a hideous comercial with double figure fish "guaranteed".

Grumpy old man?.......too right,but at least I can enjoy the peace and wildlife......and fish without any pressure at the same time!

Sounds good that estate lake, just my kind of place !

It`s not so much the carp as the mentality-when I was serious about this game I also enjoyed seeing the wildlife -just walking around spot a fish or a kingfisher-enjoy the whole area.

Setting up three rods with bite indicaters and sitting under a shelter seems about as dull as watching paint dry

Arriving rather late, but having read other entries. The rather simplistic answer I owuld give is simple. Other fish.

We would have more mixed fisherioes, and that is no bad thing.

Vagabond has made very good points on the subject. Anglers are ruining it for themselves. We demonstrate little care for the environement sometimes and that, ultimately, will be our downfall.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Setting up three rods with bite indicaters and sitting under a shelter seems about as dull as watching paint dry

Well it isn't.

Sometimes i like to do this (only two rods though) and i find this just as exciting as stalking for Chub or boat fishing for smoothounds if you don't like it don't do it, no one is forcing you. Mind you i think you might be missing out :D

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

, but if you quickly catch lots of doubles, then a few 20s and within a year or two some 30s don't you think that they are missing out on something important?

I'm not sure they're missing out on anything, do they think they are?

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I'm not sure they're missing out on anything, do they think they are?

Yes, a 40, and sponsership.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music