Give me one good reason why

poledark

Arbo, your "calculations" ARE meaningless.

And your further post re water quality etc is a statutary requirement..nothing to do with fishing. Flood protection/habitat management, all nothing to do with fishing.

Still not one good reason as to what it is about fishing that requires me to be licenced...or branded a CRIMINAL if I fail to buy one. I sit on the bank, minding my own business. I have paid the landowner for the right to be on HIS property, and to fish for HIS fish.

Calls for higher fines and bans make me wonder where we will all end up, when all we want to do is to be left alone to fish.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't read every post but i often wonder WHAT we pay a licence for. You go to Ireland, and all fishing is FREE. You don't need a rod licence and you don't have to pay for a day ticket (unless you manage to find a commercial venue). My point is, if the Irish can let us fish for free, why can't the British?

I think you'll find that 99% of countries in the world allow their citizens to fish on common land for free, and to navigate a waterway by un-motorised craft for free.

Leon has kindly provided us with a video explaining how the EA are bringing-on large numbers of various different fish species in artificial stock ponds, so that they can be restocked into our rivers / lakes.

I think this is worthwhile.

However we should not forget that if any of these fish were to be left in the stock pond for long enough, and given the right food source, then they might just reach record proportions. This would obviously enable all of us to catch a record fish from a stock pond! How much fun would that be?

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

Both rivers have a history of indiginous barbel, so this is righting a wrong rather than creating easy barbel fishing.

Precisely what restoking should be about Andaroo. I hope this exercise succeeds ...

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

Arbo, your "calculations" ARE meaningless.

Fair enough, I was only interested in seeing if I could do it! I don't see your argument that those things are nothing to do with fishing.

I understand that water quality is a statutory requirement - but statutory requirements need monitoring so that polluters can be prosecuted. Clean water has everything to do with fishing.

Flood protection - maintains rivers. Everything to do with fishing.

Habitat management - mainatains the ecological functionality of the rivers and lakes, more food and weed for fish. Everything to do with fishing.

If you object so much, just don't buy one! You will be in the majority probably. But when someone is whining on about the EA not doing their job, will you wonder where the money comes from and how much it costs?

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

I would like to make a point here as to why I am so anti fishing license.

About 10/11 years ago i was fishing Mote park in Maidstone for the big roach. Public park, close to centre of big town. Lots of easy roach fishing, mums and kids feeding the ducks. A few people cycling around (not allowed) Joggers etc.

You get the scene...innocent people doing innocent things (except the cyclists)

Three young lads turn up on their bikes and proceed to do a bit of fishing...great fun.........

and then.....

along come 2 EA bailiffs..................." liense please mate" all very polite.........

THEN....they get to the kids...................2 of them are under 12..................BUT...horrors of horrors.....one of them is 15!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my god!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 15 and no license!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!how disgusting. "Fine him, fine him" the people from AN shout (including the cyclists).

OK, I exaggerate a bit, but the core of the tale is true. Names were taken, and "you will be getting a letter" was said to the 15 year old.

I was almost apoplectic with rage (I still am when I think about it) Those two bloody jobsworths targetted that lake, knowing it was fished by kids, just so they could feel bloody important, and justify their useless bloody jobs.

What did they achieve? apart from getting the kid a criminal record,and a fine his parents had to fork out for? Did it make any difference to anyone else who was there? Did it stop the cyclists from breaking the rules (byelaws)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Three young lads turn up on their bikes and proceed to do a bit of fishing...great fun.........

and then.....

along come 2 EA bailiffs..................." liense please mate" all very polite.........

THEN....they get to the kids...................2 of them are under 12..................BUT...horrors of horrors.....one of them is 15!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my god!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 15 and no license!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!how disgusting. "Fine him, fine him" the people from AN shout (including the cyclists).

OK, I exaggerate a bit, but the core of the tale is true. Names were taken, and "you will be getting a letter" was said to the 15 year old.

A sorry tale indeed. However, I think it's a little harsh to call them jobsworths.

If there is a problem here it's that the rules should not apply to minors. That is no fault of the enforcers, who lets face it were in a precarious position. No rod licence and witnesses to the lack of licences - how can they turn a blind eye? You also don't necessarily know whether they were prosecuted. It's only an offence if prosecuted, and you only get a penalty if proven guilty. A letter to the teenager may have been sent and that may have been the end of it.

I am not as seems to be indicated here, necessarily in favour of licences. However, I believe that the EA should be funded, and I think it only fair that those who rely upon it the most pay for it. Otherwise it comes out of everyones purses whether they are main users or not. However, the fact is that the EA is a QUANGO, or NDBP (Non Departmental Public Bodies) and therefore not directly government controlled. It is created by Statute Law and has a Duty in that law to carry out executive, administrative,regulatory and/or commercial functions on behalf of the Government.

Unless the law is repealed by Act of Parliament the situation continues. Now, this body has to be funded to carry out it's legal functions or it will be in breach of it's Duties under that law.

Anyway, this thread has identified that there are those who don't mind paying rod licences (me), and those who are ardently against them. As a continuation of the thread, given the above legal standpoint I suggest the following question.

If you don't think the EA duties related to Angling should be partly funded by rod licences, particualrly as so few actually buy one, where do you think the money should come from?

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

If you don't think the EA duties related to Angling should be partly funded by rod licences, particualrly as so few actually buy one, where do you think the money should come from?

Well, like I said, I don't think it's going to happen, but I would suggest the same place that provides the money for municipal sports facilities, grass roots football, the arts, public museums and galleries, etc.

Well, like I said, I don't think it's going to happen, but I would suggest the same place that provides the money for municipal sports facilities, grass roots football, the arts, public museums and galleries, etc.

I agree, I don't think it would happen either. But it's hardly right that around a third of anglers purchase a rod licence either.

If the funding were to come from tax, it would require a Bill to parliament, and one of the key roles of the EA would have to be removed by Act of Parliament. I can see your point, if angling were supported as a sport, then it would come under the umbrellas you have identified.

Sports, museums, arts and galleries are currently provided by DCMS. They would not cover the environmental pollution management though, that would come under DEFRA.

However, pollution incidents would therefore be managed by a different Government Department from that supporting angling. Would that work?

I think this multi disciplinary function, was the key reason for creating the EA in the first place. A one stop shop for all related matters.