Give me one good reason why

poledark

I personally have no problem buying a license as i get my money back 10 times over with the pleasure i get from being able to fish, but i agree i haven't a clue what my money is being used for and have never seen anyone from the EA on the banks improving anything.

In fact in all the years i have been fishing i have only once ever seen them checking for licenses and even then it was a waste of time as word spread around the lake before he even got out his van, and the non license holders just packed up and left or put the tackle away and put it with a friend who did have a license and sat behind the license holding friend and said "i am not fishing mate i am just watching"

I understand why people want more license checks as its frustrating for people who do buy a license being of the minority, but cant really blame those who say they dont want to get one for the reason there money isnt being used for what its supposed to be

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mind paying for a licence as i think it demonstrates commitment. i think BTW they should bring back a dog licence as well and introduce licence to those wanting to take a boat up canals and rivers . as anglers (or dog owners or boaters) in think we have a responsibility therefore should have a licence. You have a licence for your car and to be able to drive so why not.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

In France a license is a bit more expensive at 60 Euro but it does entitle you to fish almost anywhere as most water is public.

It is strictly enforced by the fishing police (garde de peche) and if you are caught fishing without a license they will confiscate tackle and fine you, and there is a high probability of being caught.

Of course, you can buy a license at the local pub, cafe, paper shop, tobacconist, tackle shop or tourist information office so there isn't really an excuse not to have one.

Edited by Sportsman

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I don't mind paying for a licence as i think it demonstrates commitment. i think BTW they should bring back a dog licence as well and introduce licence to those wanting to take a boat up canals and rivers . as anglers (or dog owners or boaters) in think we have a responsibility therefore should have a licence. You have a licence for your car and to be able to drive so why not.

Yeah but you have a hair cut also so maybe we should get a licence for that to ! It's ridiculous how you need a bloody licence for every move you make, talk about big btrother :rolleyes: .

I think the main value of the EA's work is habitat improvement - restocking is not a long term solution, it should really be considered a jump start after taking steps to deal with spawning, survival and growth in the river, or to quickly replace stocks lost to pollution.

This is what the EA is doing locally to me - I know they are also trying to re-establish brown trout populations in some of the tributaries.

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homea...ews/106656.aspx

I think this is good work which should be done, and I don't actually think it should be done just because anglers are paying for it - but I accept that anglers paying for it is the only way it is likely to happen. Do I think it's fair that everybody else gets their sports and hobbies subsidised by the taxpayer and we have to pay up? No. But I'd rather pay up and get something than not pay up and get nothing.

Yeah but you have a hair cut also so maybe we should get a licence for that to ! It's ridiculous how you need a bloody licence for every move you make, talk about big btrother :rolleyes: .

when you get a hair cut you pay VAT so in effect you are paying the Govt. for having a hair cut. Tax pays for schools hospitals social care services etc. so i don't mind paying tax either.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

There are not many sovereign countries in Europe that do not have fishing licences in one form or another? so it is no good going on about our nanny state; it is not unique to England and Wales.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

I think this is a good idea and I would add a conservationists licence, a birdwatching licence and a river ramblers licence. as they all cause wear and damage to plant life and disturb the peace and quiet of anglers.

How about following it up with a total ban on putting sewerage in our rivers and have a minimum jail term of say 10 years hard labour for those caught polluting our water system and the confiscation of all their property for such anti social acts and terrorist acts.

Edited by watatoad

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

To be honest Andrew I wouldn't but being a bailif for one of the countries top angling clubs it wouldn't look to good me not having one.

Then why are you doing balliff duties when you clearly do not agree with the system :o

would'nt be because it's for the "top" angling clubs in the country would it :mellow:

concentrate for the moment: feel. don't think.

when you get a hair cut you pay VAT so in effect you are paying the Govt. for having a hair cut. Tax pays for schools hospitals social care services etc. so i don't mind paying tax either.

OK fair enough but surely we shouldn't have to pay tax on everything we do. Lets face it we even pay tax on our savings and that's after paying tax on the wages first ! Regarding licences, where do we draw the line..should we make it so you need a licence for a cat then or a budgie or a fish tank..come on it's getting a little ott don't you think ?

By the way my Mr's cuts my hair or I do it myself, that's why It's not the best of haircuts :lol: