Give me one good reason why

poledark

In my area there has been many years of work improving spawning sites and creating new gravel runs and deslilting huge stretches of the upper Thames, and one of its major tributaries. This was to improve habitat and enable successful spawning of barbel and brown trout. Following this lengthy preparatory work mini barbel have been stocked at several sites along the upper river, and hopefully they will do well in their new home. Both rivers have a history of indiginous barbel, so this is righting a wrong rather than creating easy barbel fishing.

The length of the Thames that benefits is very long indeed, and covers water from dozens of different angling clubs. The same is true, but on a much smaller scale, of the tributary.

If the EA hadn't done this, who would have been able to plan, assess, organise, carry out and pay for all this work? Where would the money have come from?

This is just one example, I'm sure there are plenty of others if you ask.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I want to be a member of the club as it's a very good club.....have you got some personal problem with that or are you just a jealous person making troll posts?

Jealous :D:D No, just it that the bailiff badge you carry for obvious reason's does not sit well with your own set of convictions on the issue of license requirements :mellow:

If you find some one you did not know without a license would you report them. And what would happen if you found a friend without a license.....conflict of interest i think it's called OR too much self interest. :o

concentrate for the moment: feel. don't think.

And, on top of that, as 'customers' the EA (should) have a responsibility to fix anything that we care to gripe about!

If only it were so. However as usual in angling what one person wants done is the opposite of what another wants :rolleyes:

At times I am surprised that anything at all ever gets done with all the contradictory views that anglers as a whole send out. Take an issue and we all have a slightly different take on it. How the EA or anyone else for that matter can work out what the "angling world" really wants is beyond me. That may well be why they get so many things wrong at times. But then again what I think is wrong is no doubt someone else's correct action.

We are a hard bunch to please :D

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I`m OK with a license,it`s Health and Safety and compensation lawyers who really **** me off.

I have been out of serious fishing for years but I did go out now and again over that time. There are stretches near me that look good but the signs are quite clear-NO FISHING.

I did ask a couple of local farmers if Icould fish and they said basically -sorry no,I am responsible if you fall in and drown.

Now that might be a load of ****s but it`s the way they were thinking

I`m OK with a license,it`s Health and Safety and compensation lawyers who really **** me off.

I have been out of serious fishing for years but I did go out now and again over that time. There are stretches near me that look good but the signs are quite clear-NO FISHING.

I did ask a couple of local farmers if Icould fish and they said basically -sorry no,I am responsible if you fall in and drown.

Now that might be a load of ****s but it`s the way they were thinking

Was fishing there previously allowed?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

To be honest Andrew I wouldn't but being a bailif for one of the countries top angling clubs it wouldn't look to good me not having one.

why not? your club gives you the power to examine club permits theres no reason to examine rod licences thats down to government.

if clubs insisted all members had licences its easy enough to refuse selling a permit until the purchaser bought a licence thus putting the onus on the club rather than a bailiff but if the club put in a rule that bailiffs (even bailiffs without a licence because if you bailiffing your not fishing at the time)) could request a licence check then by joining the club the member is under an obligation to show it.

the only difficulty in not having one being a bailiff is not having one and fishing (or if they stipulate it needs a licence to get a permit joining the club itself) it doesn't stop you bailiffing ,picking your nose ,reading the newspaper or anything else and that only occurs if you get "caught" fishing not fishing itself.

i'm a bailiff ,i dont have a licence (money a bit short ,mrs a little unmotivated) the difference is don't need one because i haven't fished this season yet whether i buy one is up to me not the club the government or a flock of pixies

the only reason i can give Den is angling occurred long before the EA and its predecessor and the rod licence existed its progressively got worse since they and now it does

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Sorry to hear that you've not been fishing for a while Dave, I hope things improve for you and your missus.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Sorry to hear that you've not been fishing for a while Dave, I hope things improve for you and your missus.

Den

Cheers Den ,not really a summer angler any more i prefer the season beginning and end .

mrs is a little hard to motivate ,her drugs (prescription) make her a bit sleepy and indecisive so as i cannot go without taking her (son now lives in the Orkney isles so a bit far to "babysit" at the weekends like he used to) miss the 2 or 3 hours a day we used to go last year.

Not so bad Den i get my buzz talking to anglers when i leave her safe on the bed playing with her stamps (safe for her if she has a fit) and go bailiffing for an hour at the pond a mile away

if she gets motivated we will go a fishing ,if not i'l have a rest and "fight" on here. :whistling:

will get some sea fishing in come the autumn when camping is cheaper so something definite to look forward to as she can visit her mum (motivation),

Really miss night fishing though not done that for a year since mrs realised "voles" were rats at my favourite pond :D but dare not go without her just in case she has a major fit ,being a bit of a loner (real billy no mates but with a lifetimes experience) has its drawbacks but my choice after all .could have done with a lift when the car was off the road for ten days i got blisters walking to town and back (wondering if she was ok all the time i was walking),probably wouldnt have bothered anyone anyway i like being independent even if it hurts :D

Cheers ,i thought you would have me on "ignore" by now or is the site that slow :D

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

why not? your club gives you the power to examine club permits theres no reason to examine rod licences thats down to government.

if clubs insisted all members had licences its easy enough to refuse selling a permit until the purchaser bought a licence thus putting the onus on the club rather than a bailiff but if the club put in a rule that bailiffs (even bailiffs without a licence because if you bailiffing your not fishing at the time)) could request a licence check then by joining the club the member is under an obligation to show it.

the only difficulty in not having one being a bailiff is not having one and fishing (or if they stipulate it needs a licence to get a permit joining the club itself) it doesn't stop you bailiffing ,picking your nose ,reading the newspaper or anything else and that only occurs if you get "caught" fishing not fishing itself.

i'm a bailiff ,i dont have a licence (money a bit short ,mrs a little unmotivated) the difference is don't need one because i haven't fished this season yet whether i buy one is up to me not the club the government or a flock of pixies

the only reason i can give Den is angling occurred long before the EA and its predecessor and the rod licence existed its progressively got worse since they and now it does

Good post,i'd like to go further and have the tackle shops being able to ask to see licence's when buying bait etc.

But more than anything i would like to see more bailiffs especially when the waethger turn's warmer and sunnier,thats when you get all and sundry fishing

concentrate for the moment: feel. don't think.

Chesters I can't quite grasp what your on about to be honest. I go fishing and a rule of my club is that I (and all it's members)have a rod licence if they do actually go fishing , so I have one due to the fact that I do go fishing and don't just sit on my arse waffling on about it. I check up on anglers for the club even when I'm fishing and don't just go out with the purpose checking tickets etc all the time.