Home Brew

Ken L

My dad does cider on ocasion and my apple trees will be going in over this winter once the hard landscaping is done outside.

If you can get your hands on a real cider apple, it will make your job a lot easier when it comes to blending the apples to get a good cider. Ours is mostly bramley with some cox (because those are the apple trees we inherited) but it's been difficult to get the acidity and tannin right. I experimented with crab apples and quinces to up the tannin and ended up adding a malolactic culture to knock the acidity back, but the results were not perfect. A good bittersweet cider apple would have made all the difference.

This place appears to sell them:

http://www.ciderappletrees.co.uk/

If you can get your hands on a real cider apple, it will make your job a lot easier when it comes to blending the apples to get a good cider. Ours is mostly bramley with some cox (because those are the apple trees we inherited) but it's been difficult to get the acidity and tannin right. I experimented with crab apples and quinces to up the tannin and ended up adding a malolactic culture to knock the acidity back, but the results were not perfect. A good bittersweet cider apple would have made all the difference.

Would it be childish of me to make a joke about you sticking your cox in your homebrew?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Would it be childish of me to make a joke about you sticking your cox in your homebrew?

As long as you leave 'Granny Smith' out of your joke, I think you'll be OK Elton.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Steve

In Kent the cider tradition uses eating apples with cooking apples addded to get the acidity right there is no notable cider apple grown in the area. Anybody ever been apple yowling or wassailing before?

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

The advice that dad got was no more than 20% cookers. He might go a little over that but I don't think by much and he was very happy with the results.

I don't really have the space for a dedicated cider orchard (or the capilaries) so that's probably the route that I'l go down - a cooker and a couple of desert apples and use the excess for cider. If i do 40l or so a year i'll be happy.

Put a triel gallon of ginger cider on last night. A bit slow to start but it's going. This will be a baseline from which I'll work out what I want to achive from a full size batch.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Steve

In Kent the cider tradition uses eating apples with cooking apples addded to get the acidity right there is no notable cider apple grown in the area. Anybody ever been apple yowling or wassailing before?

Been cider pressing, always been a bit nervous of cidered up folk shooting shot guns into trees though.

I live right in the middle of the cider apple orchards, terrible views in the spring.

We've got one monster Bramley tree and three small Coxes (stop sniggering at the back). Because the Bramley is so productive, and because there is only so much apple pie, apple sauce, apple crumble and stewed apple a man can eat, we end up with the surplus being at least 50% cooking apples, perhaps more. So the acidity can be a bit of an issue. That isn't the big problem, though - the big problem is the lack of "bite", which can lead to a bland tasting cider. Not a problem if you're trying to emulate Woodpecker, but more of an issue if you want a more authentic flavour. Might be possible to get round it by adding tannin artificially - you can buy powdered grape tannin, or oak chips.

These are the trees at the moment - looks like it will be a good year!

apples001.jpg

apples003.jpg

apples004.jpg

apples005.jpg

apples006.jpg

apples007.jpg

apples008.jpg

apples009.jpg

apples010.jpg

apples011.jpg