Wingham Fish-In Reports

Steve Burke

Steve

A big thank you to you, Peggy and all the bailiffs. An absolute great fishery you run and well worth the visit, can't wait to fish it again. Well my tally was 2 Eels, biggest about 2lb and 15 Pike biggest going 15lb, they were even taking sweetcorn. I had numerous bite offs too. I did not have a sniff of a Bream or Perch, although I think I lost a good Tench in the middle of the night on the first night. Nice to see a big Perch that Anthony caught. Anyway once again thanks to you especially for all your advice.

Paul

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seph was very unlucky. Due to a cancellation I move him to a swim near the entrance, and he gets "piked out"!

This swim can normally be fished only by the disabled, and my members have often (unsuccessfully!) asked to fish it as it's normally so productive. Dave L. did very well there on a previous AN Fish-In, joined the syndicate but hasn't been allowed to fish it since! It's produced bream to 13-14, perch to 3-13 and tench to 8-07 - and the fish are bigger now!

It's never happened before, but my guess is that the pike had hemmed the fry in there, hence the lack of other species.

Sorry, seph, I thought I was doing you a favour!

[ 14. June 2005, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: Steve Burke ]

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Colin, I won't be opening the list for next year's event for some time, but I bet you'll be keeping a look out!

However, you all now have the dates well in advance, so hopefully you can plan accordingly.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Well what can I say.After having missed the previous Wingham fish ins I was so glad just to make it this time!

The organisation and effort put in by both Steve and his team of bailiffs was superb and much appreciated by all.Peggy cooked a superb BBQ that both myself and bruv attended on Saturday (to busy sleeping Sunday afternoon!)Gerry (Argyle) had brought some terrific sausages as well,the taste still lingers!

The lake is buitifull and extremely well maintained without spoiling its natural beuty.For the first time in many years a water that truely inspired me.A lot of people in both the specimen angling and fisheries worlds have been critical or expressed doubts about Steves plans for his waters but I for one think he has definately got it right and respect him for sticking to his guns.

Fishing wise we were certainly scuppered by the conditions but it was just a pleasure to be there.As previously mentioned good to meet new faces and see old ones alike.

Catch wise I managed just one perch although not a PB it was a magnificent looking fish which fought harder than any other Ive caught before.Also at 3lb 9ozs hardly to be sniffed at!

Posted Image

Taken just after dawn on Sunday morning.Despite the heavy gear I was using (1 3/4lb rods,5lb hook length) it lead me a merry dance and actually had me back winding several times.Great colours on the fins especially.

Really looking forward to next year,especially with Newt comming.

Once again many thanks to Steve,Peggy and his team.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

nice fish budgie thats the exact weight of my PB perch caught 5-6 years ago sadly i never had a camera at the time as it was a short sess. HINT: always take a camera even if u goning for a short time as you never know wot u gonna catch

First of all thanks to Steve, Peggy, Dave L and the Bailiffs for putting on another great fish-in!

Wingham is the most beautiful place I have ever fished. Fishing is not easy but in my case very hard indeed.

Me and my fishing partner Budgie :rolleyes: we had some classic laughs on our tactical fishing at our 1st Wingham event. The first laugh is never ever buy a Prologic Connector for the buzzer bar as Budgie managed to a depth testing when trying to push the bankstick in the ground when all of suddenly just pop into the air and into the water(good job the Fox bitealarms were waterproof) :D

My tactical approach was going to target the tench and the bream. Using a worms and sweetcorn cocktail on the two of the rods and the third rod with a hair rig sweetcorn.

Me and Budgie starting fishing at 6pm and the very first minutes, I was getting some blips from my old optonics on the hair rig sweetcorn as Steve Burke was talking to Budgie about the fishing at Wingham. Throughout the night I was constantly getting blip from the sounder box and my vibrating pillow pad (which Budgie converted part of the sounderbox because of my deafness)

At 1.40am had a belting run on the hair rig sweetcorn and was into a good fish but the main line was snap :( I would reckon a good tench maybe around 7 -8lb at that point I was completely gutted. Also in the later early morning had a typical bream linebite.

No more further actions from me. But mind you the next classic laugh was on Sunday evening as we were trying to get comfortably from the constantly winds changing as I sat down my chair collapses causing me to fall down but there was no real damaged to the chair :D

Once again many thanks to Steve, Peggy, Dave L and the Bailiffs for putting on another great fish-in! Can't wait for next year Wingham fish in

[ 14. June 2005, 10:24 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Burgess ]

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

Steve, Peggy and the bailiffs,

Thank you for a superb weekend. The hospitality was absolutely first class. The company of AN Forum anglers a delight and I felt privileged just being there.

It was a weekend of "first's" for me. The first pike I have caught at night which was also the first pike I have caught on sweetcorn and not to be outdone I also caught my first eel on sweetcorn too!! Ornithologically speaking I also saw my first Cetti's Warbler (Thanks Will).

It's a special fishery with some special fish run by special people and I can't wait for next year when I think I might try for the perch with bread!!

Steve

Here are some photos from the Wingham Fish-in. Steve will add some text later.

Peggy

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The first pic is KAYC's 7lb tench, a new personal best, caught within a few minutes of arriving! Congratulations, Kevin!

The second is another PB, this perch of Anthony's going 3-02. To his credit he worked out the patrol route of the fish and put a bait right in its path.

Anthony, Peggy's going to send you a CD containing several pics of your perch. You can then get prints from Boots etc - I'm afraid our printer is far from photo quality and the result is very blocky pics. We just need your snail mail address and we'll pop the CDin the post.

The last pic is of a Bird Hawk Moth that I photographed on Colin R's rod holdall. It obligingly remained there for several minutes, although this was the only time it displayed its false eyes to confuse predators. It obviously soon realised we weren't a threat, and it fact we had trouble getting it to fly away!

The catapillar of the Bird Hawk moth had been recorded at Wingham before, but this is the first confirmed sighting of an adult.

Other wildlife highlights of the weekend were the Cetti's warblers that many guests heard, and a couple even saw. Norman McCanch, our wildlife consultant, pointed out a Marsh Harrier to some guests, although unfortunately he had to return home to attend to an emergency plumbing problem. Norman's asked me to pass on his apologies, and plans to come alng next year.

Does anyone else have any Wingham wildlife reports?

[ 18. June 2005, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: Peggy Burke ]

Classic Fishing Books www.classicfishingbooks.co.uk 100s of fishing books for sale/wanted + reviews

Wingham Fisheries www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm Gravel pit syndicates in Kent. 2008 Forum Fish-In Sat May 17 to Mon May 19. For what happened in 2007 see http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=75031

Paperweights Plus www.paperweightsplus.com Off the shelf and customised paperweights