My rod broke!

Christy

Long story short: went fishing this morning, hooked into a large barbel, was enjoying playing it when *CRACK* the rod snapped half-way through the middle section! :angry:

It was a Drennan Series 7 Puddlechucker Method Feeder rod purchased for £90 from Gerry's of Wimbledon in late April this year. I was using the reccomended 8lb mainline, through to an 8lb Drennan Doublestrength hooklength, which actually breaks at around 7lb. What do I do? I can't afford to simply waltz back in there and by another one - I earn £5.75 an hour! <_<

Please help me - I'm distraught - it was my favourite rod, and still almost new... :wallbash::headhurt:

"Man is his own worst enemy"

-Marcus Tullius Cicero

At less than 3 months old, it must be still under guarantee so I would ask the shop how to progress a fault of this nature,

Wow sad story, I hope that you get it sorted o.k. and quickly.

Is it just my memory or is there an increase in rod breakages these days, maybe carbon although beautifully light just is not up to the job? I certainly cant remember hearing of so many good name rods breaking back in the 60's, 70's or even the 80's...although in fairness that was all before the mass communication available today via the internet so we are hearing stories from all over the country where in the past they would have been just very local stories.

But one thing does seem to be going downhill and that is the quality of service and a willingness to accept responsibility for a companies products that fail.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

But one thing does seem to be going downhill and that is the quality of service and a willingness to accept responsibility for a companies products that fail.

Yeah, what happened to customer service? <_<

-Marcus Tullius Cicero

Take it back to the shop and if they say they won't replace it or refund you the money, quote them the sale of goods act.

This states that "UK law now offers greater protection for consumers against products which develop faults within the first 6 months. The assumption is now that if it breaks down within this time period it cannot have conformed to the contract specification when purchased and you have the right to an automatic repair or replacement."

If they still refuse, tell them that you will contact Trading Standards.

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

Take it back to the shop and if they say they won't replace it or refund you the money, quote them the sale of goods act.

This states that "UK law now offers greater protection for consumers against products which develop faults within the first 6 months. The assumption is now that if it breaks down within this time period it cannot have conformed to the contract specification when purchased and you have the right to an automatic repair or replacement."

what if perhaps it was the consumers fault, ive seen a rod snap because of minor damage to the blank from how it was packed in a car, a small scratch, nothing you would expect to cause a break but sure as hell it snapped cleanly right across the scratch.

also seen a friends rod snap shortly after purchasing it, it was a cheap pike rod but should not have snapped with a jack the way it did. he took it back and got a diawa emblem worth 4 times the value of the rod that broke.

but yeah definetly take it back the tackle shop you might be suprised, if its a small tackle shop id guess he will give a replacement, they have a reputation to uphold unlike large tackle shops with no soul

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Unfortunately for me, the staff in this shop are pretty simple and are generally ignorant of things like The Sales of Goods Act, so I'm really worried that they will try to f*** me over.

Also it definitely wasn't 'consumer fault' as I treated that thing like a baby!

Edited by Christy

-Marcus Tullius Cicero

the staff in this shop are pretty simple and are generally ignorant of things like The Sales of Goods Act

Then my answer is they shouldn't be trading !

Don't let anyone mess you around over this - contact your local Trading Officer if you can't get satisfaction from the shop.

Norma had a rod bust whilst playing a Tigerfish. On our return to England, Andy Lush of the Friendly Fisherman, Tunbridge Wells, replaced it immediately upon seeing the broken joint. No argument, no messing. It does pay to deal with a reputable tackle shop.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Then my answer is they shouldn't be trading !

Don't let anyone mess you around over this - contact your local Trading Officer if you can't get satisfaction from the shop.

Norma had a rod bust whilst playing a Tigerfish. On our return to England, Andy Lush of the Friendly Fisherman, Tunbridge Wells, replaced it immediately upon seeing the broken joint. No argument, no messing. It does pay to deal with a reputable tackle shop.

Yeah, I've had trouble with them returning things in the past. I think I will have to revert back to buying all of my tackle online again! <_<

-Marcus Tullius Cicero

Christy, don't let them push you around. If they don't know the law then as Vagabond said, they shouldn't be trading. Take it back, if they won't repair or replace it then get in touch with your local Trading Standards. As you said, it's a lot money to part with and I suggest you buy from another tackle dealer in future !

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"