My rod broke!

Christy

Gerrys of Wimbledon have been around for many years and will certainly know the sale of goods act. Have you actually taken it back to the shop?

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Gerrys of Wimbledon have been around for many years and will certainly know the sale of goods act. Have you actually taken it back to the shop?

Den

I haven't actually yet Den, as I'm afraid of what they'll say... :mellow:

"Man is his own worst enemy"

-Marcus Tullius Cicero

I guess if you had landed that barbel it would have broken you pb by some margin. Barbel are are incredibly powerful fighters, I am in awe of their power, they can snap 12lb test line like cotton, if you do not set the drag on the reel correctly then you are asking for trouble. Barbel rods by and large are designed to take the lunge of a barbel without mishaps, tbh that Drennan rod is probably not the best tool you could use, possibly it does not have an ''all through'' action from tip to but, that is a progessive action that will tame large barbel.

That said Drennan are a well respected company and should help, you were right in going back to the shop that sold you the rod , and they should have done more, at least they should speak to their Drennan 'rep' to resolve the problem. Tackle shop staff I have learnt are not the most up to speed in consumer law, so you need to be clear about what YOU want and not what they wish to do. Don't be abusive, be firm and if you don't get what you want take it further to Drennan.

If you want me to help I will, I have years of experience in such matters being one that does not get 'fobbed' off easily.

Best of luck, pm me if you wish.

Yeah, part of me's more annoyed that I lost the fish! :o If I have any trouble I would very much appreciate your help on the matter... ;)

-Marcus Tullius Cicero

Unfortunately for me, the staff in this shop are pretty simple and are generally ignorant of things like The Sales of Goods Act, so I'm really worried that they will try to f*** me over.

Also it definitely wasn't 'consumer fault' as I treated that thing like a baby!

I have found the staff and manager of Gerry of Wimbledon to be incredibly helpful. I have had an enormous amount of help from them when fishing gear has broken.

You haven't even taken it back and spoken to them and yet you are insulting them in an online forum.

Well I have absolutely no sympathy for your plight.

Talk to the manager there and I'm sure he'll be helpful and stop your whining. :angry:

Edited by tiddlertamer

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

I have found the staff and manager of Gerry of Wimbledon to be incredibly helpful. I have had an enormous amount of help from them when fishing gear has broken.

You haven't even taken it back and spoken to them and yet you are insulting them in an online forum.

Well I have absolutely no sympathy for your plight.

Talk to the manager there and I'm sure he'll be helpful and stop your whining. :angry:

I said that because I've had problems returning faulty items to them in the past...

-Marcus Tullius Cicero

I said that because I've had problems returning faulty items to them in the past...

Well that is the complete opposite of my experience with the friendly and professional bunch of people who work there.

Why not try treating them with some courtesy and see if they can help you.

I've had a couple of items go belly up on me and they have spoken to the manufacturers and arranged replacements. Hats off to them. A far better level of service than any other retailer I’ve dealt with.

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

Wow sad story, I hope that you get it sorted o.k. and quickly.

Is it just my memory or is there an increase in rod breakages these days, maybe carbon although beautifully light just is not up to the job? I certainly cant remember hearing of so many good name rods breaking back in the 60's, 70's or even the 80's...although in fairness that was all before the mass communication available today via the internet so we are hearing stories from all over the country where in the past they would have been just very local stories.

But one thing does seem to be going downhill and that is the quality of service and a willingness to accept responsibility for a companies products that fail.

Greetings Sincere Mr Watatoad, :)

Yes, I'm still here, alive & kicking, as per. You see, if you'd been as good mannered & polite as you've been in terms of your reply to the 'busted rod' post, I'd have 'just read it' [Your 'good' reply] thanked you muchly & moved on. No matter, these things happen, no offence taken not for a second. ;)

Now, here's a one for you all, & for Mr Watatoad of Subury in particular. I,ve just been given a pair of bite alarms, brand new they are, but I fancy they're from the bottom end of the market in terms of 'folding green spent'.

Not being terribly conversant with bite alarms I now ask:- :huh:

[1] Can bite alarms per-se can be used WITHOUT attaching a drop-off indicator, or is the old 'drop-off indicator' a must?

[2] Must one use a minimum diameter breaking strain line, 12lb say [For 'thickness'] in order to get a bite alarm to operate correctly, or can one use a 6lb b.s. line & the old bite alarm will still work?

[3] Assuming that IT IS essential that one uses a d/off indicator in conjunction with a bite alarm, is it this, the weight of the d/off indicator, that keeps the line in contact with the contacts in the bite alarm, or will the 'downward' weight/bulk of the carp rod ensure that the line DOES remain in contact with the bite alarm contacts?

When you have a moment, let me know what you think?

Regards y'all, :)

Mr H.

Greetings Sincere Mr Watatoad, :)

Yes, I'm still here, alive & kicking, as per. You see, if you'd been as good mannered & polite as you've been in terms of your reply to the 'busted rod' post, I'd have 'just read it' [Your 'good' reply] thanked you muchly & moved on. No matter, these things happen, no offence taken not for a second. ;)

Now, here's a one for you all, & for Mr Watatoad of Subury in particular. I,ve just been given a pair of bite alarms, brand new they are, but I fancy they're from the bottom end of the market in terms of 'folding green spent'.

Not being terribly conversant with bite alarms I now ask:- :huh:

[1] Can bite alarms per-se can be used WITHOUT attaching a drop-off indicator, or is the old 'drop-off indicator' a must?

[2] Must one use a minimum diameter breaking strain line, 12lb say [For 'thickness'] in order to get a bite alarm to operate correctly, or can one use a 6lb b.s. line & the old bite alarm will still work?

[3] Assuming that IT IS essential that one uses a d/off indicator in conjunction with a bite alarm, is it this, the weight of the d/off indicator, that keeps the line in contact with the contacts in the bite alarm, or will the 'downward' weight/bulk of the carp rod ensure that the line DOES remain in contact with the bite alarm contacts?

When you have a moment, let me know what you think?

Regards y'all, :)

Mr H.

1. You really need to use a bobbin or swingers to enable you to see back bites.

2. Your alarm should work with any diameter of line.

3. As in question one you will need the bobbins/swingers to register a back bite.

Hope this helps Sir.

I occasionly use an alarm when float fishing :) I know this may sound odd, but if I decide to fish on after dark then I use my old Optonics with the large diameter light weight wheels. They will work with 4lb line and react to a slight tensioning in the line as it slips over them.

At the other extreme, my" little old" Fox microns with their small diameter wheels need a bobbin to make them work reliably

And, of course, as Tigger has said, you need bobbins or similar to show dropbacks.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic