Grice & Young Centrepin Reels

Elton

Posted on behalf of Tom. Please add all replies to this thread:

i have 2 GRICE & YOUNG centre pin reels,one is a GRICE COQ D'OR, and the other is a GRICE GOLDEN EAGLE.i cannot find out any information on them such as date of manufacture, are they rare, are they valuable / sought after. both reels are in good condition, any information would be really appreciated, many thanks, tom

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Posted on behalf of Tom. Please add all replies to this thread:

Grice and Young, brief shakedown.

I use a couple for legering, for which I think they are ideal, there are better trotting reels.

Edit: not sure why you put this in fly fishing section Elton. :huh:

Edited by ayjay

Grice & Young pins have been fetching very decent prices on eBay of late - a boxed Coq d'Or in good nick sold for £64.50 recently.

- a boxed Coq d'Or in good nick sold for £64.50 recently.

That must make mine worth about.............ooh, lets see, maybe a fiver? :D

IMG_1952modified.jpg

I've not owned one of these but I'm very tempted by a particular example on e-bay. I love the combined drag/ratchet levers and springs all fitted to the backplate.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I've not owned one of these but I'm very tempted by a particular example on e-bay. I love the combined drag/ratchet levers and springs all fitted to the backplate.

I've got a G&C Avon Crown, it's good for ledgering.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

One of the ways you can partially date some of these reels is that in 1974 Christchurch became part of Dorset instead of Hants.

The reel castings all have "Christchurch Hants." on them (see below) but after 1974 they also have Dorset on the little roundel on the back, as in my pic above.

IMG_1954modified.jpg

Grice & Young pins have been fetching very decent prices on eBay of late - a boxed Coq d'Or in good nick sold for £64.50 recently.

And this model's already well north of that. I was hoping it was going to be a sleeper but I guess the box and perfect condition have aroused too much interest.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It's never a 'six', let's put it back