General Coarse Reel

RPM

Morning all (long time since I last posted and hope you are all well).

I am looking for a replacement for my tried and trusted Shimano Sahara 2500.

The uses which the new reel will be put to will be small scale feeder fishing on the Trent, general float fishing and some trotting. I also use it for bream fishing on some local pits. I have had no issues with it and overall it has been a fantastic all rounder as you can see.

The Sahara has been a really good reel but it has two faults; it is a little small and a little bit too free running.

I await you wise suggestions.

Richard

i'd recommend you get a 3000-4500 sized bait runner reel ( they're not just for carp/barbel) you may not use the bait runner function too often but its there if needed and can be used as a feeder or float reel ,and because of the extra gearing inside they're usually less free running .

now too which brand name too choice ? okuma do some nice reels at reasonable prices ,shimano have nice but expensive reels but do have a good back up service dept ,personally i don't spend more money than is needed i buy reels that i think are upto the task ,so i do tend too buy budget brands ,don't always get it right .i likes solid feeling reels and not too keen on lightweights .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Which model ATS?

Sorry its the shimano 6000 ST RA i was thinking of. Its only £40. I have the much more expensive 6000 xtea's (RRP 129.99) and also a 6000 ST RA and the st ra is almost identical in looks and shape and just as good at a fraction of the price. Its a great reel to have as it can be used for all sorts of applications. There is one <<HERE>> for you to take a look at. They are also lighter than the more expensive version and very solid. A well built piece of kit. The baitrunner is very good and very reliable and you can adjust both the drag and the baitrunner very easily from the rear of the reel when required.

P.S. The photo's make them look plastic but they are actually metal, coated with a sort of rubbery feel

Edited by AddictedToScopex

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

There is also the 4000FA if you want something a little smaller but they arent really my cup of tea. I dont like the single handle and although i've never held one they do look a lot cheaper than the ST RA and probably feel that way too. Maybe someone who has tried one of these could tell you more. There is one <<HERE>> for you to look at.

Edited by AddictedToScopex

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Hmmm, I have just had a look at my other Baitrunner AEROs and I hve a GTE 5000b and a GTE6000c both of which are a bit bigger than what I had in mind so I guess a 3-4000 size would be perfect.

Edited by RPM

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick question. Why would you need a baitrunner for small scale feeder fishing and general float fishing and trotting?

Edited by watatoad

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God