fines for no licences

Guest dave k

just been looking at the environment agency site tonight and have seen that 15 anglers have been prosecuted for fishing without licences biggrin.gif

now all we need is to get the magistrates to impose a higer fine as the penelty they got is pafetic frown.gif

The Environment Agency successfully prosecuted fifteen anglers at Dartford Magistrates’ Court on Friday (October 19th) for fishing illegally in May this year.

The details are as follows:-

Tony Plummer (36) of Upper Abbey Road, Belvedere was found guilty in his absence of fishing without a rod licence at the Darenth Complex, Dartford on May 26th. He was fined £80 and had costs of £80 awarded against him.

Brian Hollingworth (18) of Glenforth Street, London was found guilty in his absence of fishing without a rod licence at the Darenth Complex, Dartford on May 7th. He was fined £80 and had costs of £80 awarded against him.

Mark Eastwood of Jenningtree Road, Slade Green, Erith was found guilty in his absence of fishing without a rod licence at Brooklands Lake, Dartford on May 5th. He was fined £80 and had costs of £80 awarded against him.

Matthew Bainbridge (21) of Heath Close Road, Dartford was found guilty in his absence of fishing without a rod licence at the Darenth Complex, Dartford on May 26th. He was fined £80 and had costs of £80 awarded against him.

Jason Eaton (29) of St Johns Court, St Johns Road, Erith was found guilty in his absence of fishing without a rod licence at Brooklands Lake, Dartford on May 7th. He was fined £80 and had costs of £80 awarded against him.

George Tagg (58) of Old Bromley Road, Downham pleaded guilty by post to fishing without a rod licence at Brooklands Lake, Dartford on May 5th. He was fined £10.

Steven Picton (48) of Glenview, Abbeywood, London pleaded guilty by post to fishing without a rod licence at the Darenth Complex, Dartford on May 26th. He was fined £60 and had costs of £60 awarded against him.

Jack McGilvray (19) of Norvic House, Waterhead Close, Erith pleaded guilty by post to fishing without a rod licence at the Darenth Complex, Dartford on May 26th. He was fined £60 and had costs of £60 awarded against him.

Lee Humm (30) of Farm Avenue, Swanley pleaded guilty by post to fishing without a rod licence at Brooklands Lake, Dartford on May 7th. He was fined £40 and had costs of £40 awarded against him.

Carl Huntington (29) of Browning Road, Dartford pleaded guilty by post to fishing without a rod licence at Littlebrook Power Station on May 18th. He was fined £80 and had costs of £80 awarded against him. Additionally Mr Huntington was fined a further £60 with £60 costs for using five fishing rods, which is contrary to local by-laws.

Daniel Grant (21) of Stephenson Avenue, Tilbury pleaded guilty by post to fishing without a rod licence at the Darenth Complex, Dartford on May 5th. He was fined £60 and had costs of £60 awarded against him.

Mark Eaglestone (35) of North End Road, Erith pleaded guilty by post to fishing without a rod licence at Brooklands Lake, Dartford on May 7th. He was fined £60 and had costs of £60 awarded against him.

James Cowell (20) of Chastilian Road, Dartford pleaded guilty by post to fishing without a rod licence at the Darenth Complex, Dartford on May 26th. He was fined £60 and had costs of £60 awarded against him.

John Champ (21) of Lanridge Road, Abbey Wood pleaded guilty by post to fishing without a rod licence at the Darenth Complex, Darford on May 26th. He was fined £60 and had costs of 360 awarded against him.

Steven Boram (34) of Willow Road, Dartford pleaded guilty by post to fishing without a rod licence at Brooklands Lake, Dartford on May 7th. He was fined £60 and had costs of £60 awarded against him.

one of them only had a £10 fine mad.gif

------------------

dave kennedy USSC Angling

ANMC Founder Member

Guest Alan Taylor
Originally posted by dave k:

Hi Dave/all,

before we left Holland for Yateley I purchased our licences on line. I also looked at the offenders and fines etc. It realy is stupid how low the fines are.

I was under the impression that fishing without a licence in the UK was a criminal offence and not only gives the offender a criminal record but the risk a fine of up to 2000 pounds or six months inside.

Am I wrong?

No problems like that in Holland, you don't go to court, pay on the spot, 10 quid a rod, get moved on and if you have no cash on you, all your gear is confiscated there and then.

Good system and it is well policed by several law enforcement agency's.

We had our licence reminder in the post this week and if we pay before the first of December, get a 10% discount. The licence runs from Jan to Jan, 6 quid. Good Eh?

If you are realy angry at the low fines, start a campaign. I am sure you will get support.

All the best

Alan(nl)

------------------

ANMC Founder Member. Support Anglers Net & reap the benefits, join ANMC today.

Guest fishboy

Mr Huntington was fined a further £60 with £60 costs for using five fishing rods,

How can anyone fish five rods at the same time? When I started fishing I was told that when the fish were biting one rod was enough, when the fish are not biting one rod is one to many.

------------------

Fishboy

http://www.crawleyanglingsociety.co.uk

Hi Alan

£60-£80 seems to be the norm for fishing without a licence frown.gif

it would be interesting to find out who sets the limit for fines, as they seem to be about the same across the country for this offence.

it does make my blood boil when i hear of people fishing without a licence.

I am on a limited income and have to account for every penny i spend, yet i can find £20 per season.

I also work 6 days a week and probably spend less time at the waterside than many other anglers. yet i still dont begrudge £20.

one of the anglers was fishing with 5 rods mad.gif how much did his tackle cost, and what percentage of what he spends a year on fishing would the cost of a licence be frown.gif

------------------

dave kennedy USSC Angling

ANMC Founder Member

Guest chesters1

thats nothing i was knocked of my motorbike

i had a flourescent RED jacket on ,my lights were on and i have yellow flourescent stickers all over the place.it was broad daylight and i was hit by a car coming on to the roundabout i was on.the penalty....

£50 for driving without care

£10 for defective eyesight

£10 for no insurance

beat that

What gets me is how one of these guys only got fined a tenner (less than the license fee) with no costs!!!!

How did he manage that?

Noc.

Guest RobStubbs

I never quite understand the fines system, and you can be certain it costs the EA a lot more than they recoup. Still a shame that a) fines aren't much higher (10 fold) and that B) there aren't enough bailiffs.

I do like to have a look on the EA site especially when you find some 'name' anglers caught poaching a water, for the nth time - still derisory fines but makes interesting reading.

Rob.

Guest NickInTheNorth

In general terms fines are imposed at a level appropriate to the means of the person being fined. So if for example you are on benefits you will pay less than someone earning £30k per year.

And justice is supposed to be blind!

Nick

Guest Alan Stubbs

I think you will find that the EA don't actually get any of the fine themselves, although they can claim the costs of bringing the prosecution. I may be wrong here, but I believe the money paid as the fine goes to the Lord Chancellor - possibly to help pay for his wallpaper.

It is interesting to note that these prosecutions came form only 2 venues - both in Kent and I'm not sure I feel emabarrassed that the culprits were from my county or that the magistrates were so lenient.

Thanks for naming and shaming though Dave, although internet anglers are well in the minority overall, it is a good way of making a stand against those who seek to bring the sport into disrepute.

Alan

------------------

ANMC Founder Member

Guest Geoff Palmer

Surely there must be some way of making the owners of waters who "encourage people fishing without a licence" accountable. When selling day tickets why can't they check rod licences at the same time.

In the last year I have fished at several day ticket waters and never had my rod licence checked.

------------------

Geoff

Size doesn't matter its just catching.