fines for no licences

Guest dave k

Guest ALAN FAWCETT

Geoff

Good idea mate but my rod licence is in the bottom of my seat box which means i would hold others up looking for it.

Don't get me wrong i have no problem with the idea mate i personally think you should have to show your licence before being sold a club membership or being allowed to draw a peg at a match.

As those that frequent the paltalk room will know, i believe all the money raised from the fines of dodgers should be handed over to the EA to help with the costs of bailiffing of waters & the breeding of fish stocks.

The fines imposed are indeed pathetic to say the least perhaps if we as anglers wrote to let the goverment/justice deparment/treasury know how we feel & what our thoughts are they may listen (no harm in dreaming) & increase the fines, maybe then the "dodgers" will think twice?

What do you think they would rather pay £20/25 or £2000??

------------------

TROGG (Alan)

SACG/SAA 177 SACN 252

hehe i'm with the ANMC are you?

[This message has been edited by ALAN FAWCETT (edited 23 October 2001).]

Guest chesters1

i have been fishing for 40 years (not all at once) i have been asked once for a licence in all that time

(at the kent championships in the early 70`s)

seems the bailifs only like large gatherings

rather than patrolling a beat so to speak.

because of the decrease in funding the Ea can not employ as many bailiffs as they would like too frown.gif

It is also not as easy to employ honary bailiffs as there are insurance and other issues to be taken into account.

hence the reason they target waters where they are likely to find a large concentration of anglers. they will also act on information recieved rolleyes.gif so if you see anything suspicious like anglers removing fish ring 0800 80 70 60.dont get involed with a confrontation the environment agency are trained to deal with these sort of instances, and have a lot of power legally. leave it to the profesionals.

dont just walk away and do nothing though as it is the future of our angling that is being destroyed by selfish anglers

ring the environment agency hot line0800 80 70 60

------------------

dave kennedy USSC Angling

ANMC Founder Member

Guest Alan Stubbs

I do think people have a point in making fishery owners responsible for allowing people to fish or take up membership without a licence.

I am a life member of a sports club and cannot get into the bar without showing my membership card. We usually have over 150 people in the bar on a Saturday evening - How many fisheries cope with that number in a day?

My licence is kept in my wallet along with my driving licence -and I'm proud to show it. However, this year I've not been asked to do so.

I'm sure decent anglers woukd not object to waiting for a couple of minutes for licence checks to be made - long term, it has to be in ther best interests.

Alan

Guest Geoff Palmer

After a bad day at work I'm in for a whinge.

I get really p***** off (please excuse the expletive) when I read about EA bailiffs doing a check at matches and finding several match fishermen without licences.

What happens to these guys after a fine. Are they banned from fishing future matches. Do the clubs expel them? Or are they the mainstays of the team and not buying a licence was "an unfortunate oversight" and it only happened this year!!!

P.S. I always buy a licence.

------------------

Geoff

Size doesn't matter its just catching.

just found another list of licence doggers mad.gif

The Environment Agency successfully prosecuted twelve anglers at Lewes Magistrates’ Court yesterday (October 24th) for fishing illegally earlier this year.

The details are as follows:-

Steven Franks (30) of Granville Road, Sidcup, Kent was found guilty in his absence of fishing without a valid rod licence at Frant Lakes, Frant on May 28th. He was fined £60 and had costs of £80 awarded against him.

Anthony Dangerfield (38) of Bisham Close, Carshalton, Surrey was found guilty in his absence of fishing without a valid rod licence at Tanyard Fishery on June 16th. He was fined £50 and had costs of £80 awarded against him.

Lance Lingham (34) of Holmdale Road, Chislehurst, Kent was found guilty in his absence of fishing without a valid rod licence at Tnayard Fishery, Danehill on July 26th. He was fined £50 and had costs of £80 awarded against him.

Craig Howser (29) of Anthony Road, Welling, Kent was found guilty in his absence of fishing without a valid rod licence at Frant Lakes, Frant on June 17th. He was fined £50 and had costs of £80 awarded against him.

Stephen Hincksman (23) of Albany Road, Chatham, Kent was found guilty in his absence of fishing without a valid rod licence at Frant Lakes, Frant on May 6th. He was fined £60 and had costs of £80 awarded against him.

Gary Rees (23) of Haig Villas, Main Road, Chattenden, Rochester, Kent was found guilty in his absence of fishing without a valid rod licence at Frant Lakes, Frant on May 28th. He was fined £80 and had costs of £80 awarded against him.

Christopher White (32) of South Road, Hailsham, East Sussex was found guilty in his absence of fishing without a valid rod licence at Frant Lakes, Frant on May 28th. He was fined £60 and had costs of £80 awarded against him.

Robert Smith (20) of Wolfington Road, West Norwood, Lambeth, London was found guilty in his absence of fishing without a valid rod licence at Frant Lakes, Frant on 17th June. He was fined £60 and had costs of £80 awarded against him.

Adam Russel (20) of Bournewood Road, Orpington, Kent pleaded guilty by post to fishing without a valid rod licence at Frant Lakes, Frant on May 26th. He was fined £40 and had costs of £80 awarded against him.

Eddie Roberts (23) of Mounthurst Road, Hayes, Kent pleaded guilty by post to fishing without a valid rod licence at Frant Lakes, Frant on May 28th. He was fined £40 and had £80 costs awarded against him.

Nathan Reilly (22) of Foxbury Close, Orpington, Kent pleaded guilty by post to fishing without a valid rod licence at Frant Lakes, Frant on May 26th. He was fined £40 and had costs of £80 awarded against him.

Alan Hartley (31) of Fawkham Green, Fawkham pleaded guilty by post to fishing without a valid rod licence at Frant Lakes, Frant on May 26th. He was fined £40 and had costs of £80 awarded against him.

Rod licences are easy to obtain from post-offices, over the telephone on 0870 1662662 or from the Agency’s website.

A full non-migratory rod licence costs £20 for a year and a junior licence costs £5.

Last year the Agency prosecuted 418 individuals from the Southern Region - 375 were found guilty of fishing illegally. For each of these people fines and costs totalled an average of around £115 – five times the cost of a non-migratory rod licence.

------------------

ANMC Founder Member

• 3 weeks later...

just found a few more names mad.gif

Four Gwent men were fined a total of £450 at Newport Magistrates Court yesterday (Monday) for fishing without a valid licence. Each was also ordered to pay £55 towards the costs of Environment Agency Wales, who brought the prosecutions.

Andrew Barry Edwards of Park Avenue, Pontnewydd, Cwmbran, was seen fishing at the Ravensnest Trout Fishery, Chepstow. He was fined £100 with £55 costs. Anthony John Roberts of Baird Close, and David Mark Roberts of Graigwood Close, both in Malpas, Newport were seen fishing on the Afon Lwyd near Cwmbran. They were each fined £100 with £55 costs and had their rods and reels forfeited. Phillip Oates of Granville Street, Monmouth, who had a previous offence of illegally netting the River Wye, was seen fishing the Wye at Monmouth. He was fined £150 with £55 costs and also forfeited his rod and reel.

Speaking after the hearing, an Agency spokesperson commented: "The income derived from rod licences is used for the development and maintenance of fisheries, restocking, policing and enforcing the legislation of the Salmon and Freshwater Fisheries Act 1975. If the current high standards of fishing are to be maintained it is essential that the licence requirements are observe

------------------

ANMC Founder Member

Guest Peter Waller

Seems that if you don't want to be caught then go fish the rivers, where bailiffs are as rare as honest spin doctors.

I do a great deal of roving with a lure rod, love it to bits. I could see a bailiff checking the licences of nearby anglers. He didn't ask to see mine, not until I cast a line.

He then told me that if I sat by the river, holding a rod, he would still not ask to see my licence until he actually saw my line in the river. So, on seeing a bailiff, pull your tackle ashore until he passes. Why else would you sit there with all the gear?

So thats one way round the law. Another way is to borrow a licence from a mate at work. Have you ever been asked to prove that the licence in your hand is actually yours?

I have every sympathy with the bailiffs, there are not enough of 'em, the law supporting them is an ass, the fines derisory. In over 40 years of angling I have shown my licence just once, and then he didn't even ask for it, my tackle wasn't in the water!