fines for no licences

Guest dave k

What i liked about it was the fact they had their rods and reels condiscated biggrin.gif

bet they were worth more than the fine they paid smile.gif

just think, all they had to do was buy a £20 licence rolleyes.gif poetic justice smile.gif

------------------

dave kennedy USSC Angling

ANMC Founder Member

• 4 weeks later...

Time to name and shame more anglers for fishing without licences mad.gif

i wonder how much they spend on a nights entertainment, but they cant justify spending £20 for a years angling.

they are prats together with anyone else who hasn't got a licence

Seven anglers were fined a total of £470 at Hereford Magistrates' Court on Monday for fishing without a licence, contrary to the Salmon & Freshwater Fisheries Act, 1975. In addition, each man was ordered to pay £55 towards the costs of the Environment Agency which brought the prosecutions. Five of the men had their rods and reels forfeited to the Agency.

Christopher Frederick Birch of Milgreen Avenue, Sneyd Green, Stoke-on-Trent; Kevin Clarke of Emlyn Avenue, Whitecross, Hereford; Ivor James of Cherry Brook Close, Hope-under-Dinmore, Leominster; Stuart Maddox of Brook Mead, Ross-on-Wye; Stephen Jason Smith of Violet Walk, Rogerstone and Trevor Douglas Stanley, of Emlyn Avenue, Whitecross, Hereford were all fined £70. Paul Burns of Ridgeway Crescent, Whitchurch, Ross-on-Wye was fined £50. The court forfeited the tackle of Burns, Clarke, James, Maddox and Stanley.

Speaking after the hearing, an Agency spokesperson said: “A licence is required to fish for salmon, trout, freshwater fish and eels in all inland waters in England & Wales and it costs just £20 for a full annual licence. There are eight-day and daily licences also available at all post offices. The Agency will continue to target and prosecute those individuals who choose to ignore the requirements for a valid licence when fishing.”

------------------

ANMC Founder Member

Guest Chris Plumb

Nice one Dave - I take it these names are posted regularly on the EA site?

Chris

------------------

"Study to be quiet."

Guest kingfisher

Why should you have to pay for a licence to fish and put food on the table. The rivers should be free to fish any where in the contry. The rivers run through peoples land and it should be up to them who pays to fish there. The fish are also wild even if poeple have "stocked " the water because they have been released the into the wild.We eat fish from the sea and that is free, so why not rivers, canals and still waters.

------------------

J. King.

Guest Geoff Palmer

G

Originally posted by kingfisher:

Why should you have to pay for a licence to fish and put food on the table. The rivers should be free to fish any where in the contry. The rivers run through peoples land and it should be up to them who pays to fish there. The fish are also wild even if poeple have "stocked " the water because they have been released the into the wild.We eat fish from the sea and that is free, so why not rivers, canals and still waters.

I see by your profile that you want to look after what we have. Well that is what your rod licence pays to do. The Environment Agency spends a lot of money keeping rivers clean for you to fish in, and in breeding fish to replace those killed by pollution.

It is an anglers duty to but his rod licence, and I think all those who get caught without one should have their tackle confiscated.

So I apologise if I upset a new poster but you are stating absolute c***.

------------------

Geoff

Size doesn't matter its just catching.

Guest blankedagain

That is an opinion , and i suppose in a democracy you are entiteled to express that.

however that does not justify the fact that those who fish without a licence are being subsidised by those of us who always buy one, also could you explain to us how all the conservation work, pollution control, work and other activities that are carried out by the EA could be funded

------------------

catching fish is a bonus!

Guest Chris Playle

It always makes me chuckle when forum members post listings of people who have been done for no rod licence. Take the latest list above. Look at the dates.

SATURDAY May 5th

MONDAY May 7th (Bank Holiday)

FRIDAY May 18th

SATURDAY May 26th

They are lucky at the Derenth Complex. At least four times in the same month that a water was visted by an EA bailiff !!! That would be a world record up here where I fish.

I have been fishing the same pond complex nearly every weekend since I started going fishing again this year. I have had my EA licence checked just the once on August Bank Holiday. My Dad goes fishing in the same complex and he's had his licence checked twice (the jammy devil) May Day Bank Holiday and August Bank Holiday.

Compare these days to the dates above. Not only are Bank Holidays included in the visits but weekdays too.

The EA are always saying they want to crack down on people fishing without a licence. I, as an angler, would like to see those who would rather let us honest folk fork out the money, caught more regularly. Unfortunately the EA bailiffs up here near Hull only think people round here go fishing on Bank Holidays. That is the only time you will see a bailiff. I know "criminal intellegence" are two words combined that don't make sense but it don't take a degree in Statistics to figure out that you're pretty safe on any day appart from a Bank Holiday weekend up here.

As for the fines. Well, what a joke eh? Never mind a £80 quid "inconvenience fine" at top. How about a compulsory £2000 quid fine, tackle confescated and a ban on fishing or holding a lacence for a year. If caught fishing while banned it's the clink me old beauty.

The EA want to crack down on licence dodgers, it's about time the EA got out more often and checked places AND the magistrates started using the power they have to deter people from doing it again.

Us honest folk are being forced to fork out for people who couldn't give a damn.

As for five rods out at a time. I have enough trouble looking after two let alone five. biggrin.gif

Right I'll put me soap box back under the stairs 'til the next months list comes out smile.gif

Tight lines all.

Chris

The environment agency news section is an very good sorce of information and i go on there at least once a week.

it is updated daily with the latest news articles.the whole site contains a good wealth of information that will help people understand the work the EA do in england and wales.

chris playle is complaining that he hasn't had his licence checked much this year.......

A lot of anglers havn't had there licence's checked in 20+ years of fishing. so what.

that dosn't mean you dont have to buy one.

The Environment agency's resorces are being cut more and more by the govenment, and they are relying more on the revenue recieved from licence fee;s.

They have a catch 22 situation in regards to licence checks. funds have been cut every year by the govenment and all regions have had to cut down on the amount of bailifs they employ. Honary bailifs are being cut as well, mainly due to insurance reasons.

i think they use what limited resorces they have very well. if you were in charge were would you target? a small river that might only have one or two anglers along a 2 mile stretch or a stillwater complex that might have 50+ anglers at it.

I havn't had my driving licence checked in over 10 years.....but i'm not complaining about that rolleyes.gif

rant over...sorry about that biggrin.gif as secretary of a small club i know the good work the EA do and get very defencive when i see them critisiced frown.gif

------------------

ANMC Founder Member

[This message has been edited by dave k (edited 09 December 2001).]

Guest blankedagain

I'm with you Chris

<How about a compulsory £2000 quid fine, tackle confescated and a ban on fishing or holding a lacence for a year. If caught fishing while banned it's the clink me old beauty.>

and then cut off their goolies. eek.gif

Mike.

------------------

catching fish is a bonus!

Guest kingfisher

I still think that you should not need a licence to hunt and catch your own food.I enjoy the odd carp for a meal and the occasional bream is a treat so why be penalised for providing your family with food?

------------------

J. King.

[This message has been edited by kingfisher (edited 09 December 2001).]

[This message has been edited by kingfisher (edited 09 December 2001).]