live baiting for perch?

lozza

Dales Ive found the live/dead/worm thing can really vary from water to water.

On one commercial I used to target for big Perch lives ruled despite the very coloured water.Worms were so so but deads were a complete waste of time!.However on another local commercial Steve Burke swears by deads and he does plenty ok! The waters are very similar so I dont know why this is.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I even use wire when spinning/lure fishing for perch. I like the idea of 'not' using it but until I can figure out how to target perch exclusively I shall stick with it.

Same here Emma.Its a difficult one. Many perch fishers I know dont bother and say that any bite offs from pike they get they just accept,As its a relatively small single it wont do much harm.Lots of pikers will get the hump with this of course but the come back is are we expected to use wire in any situation a pike may pick up a bait? I can tell you Ive had more pike on worms and boillies meant for carp/tench/bream than Ive caught on live baits meant for Perch so should I use wire when fishing them!

It still bothers me though so I simply dont use live baits if I think Im going to get an unacceptable amount of pike action. So whats "acceptable" well that's really down to each angler to decide....................

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Been trying to catch big perch using small live bait bleak and dace getting plenty of takes but only connecting with about one in ten takes using a small chuber float with a size 8 hook is their a more effective rig that I can be using? I am hitting the takes very quickly so to not deep hook the fish?

I have used livebaits, lures and worms for Perch and would say its all down to the venue. While fishing on the Suffolk Stour one evening recently with a friend we hit a Perch stretch.

Clive was using double maggot on a size 16 Kamasan B911 barbless hook with a 3lb maxima mono main line and I was on single maggot on a size 18 Kamasan animal barbless also with a 3lb maxima main line. In a 2 hour session we must have caught around 70 fish between us the smallest was 13oz with the majority being over the 2lb mark. Fortunately after considerable effort I managed to get into the Roach which I was after. I was trying out a J W Young's Specimen Float 13' and Clive was trying out my Drennan Match Pro Waggler 14'.

I have been back to the swim since and had the same Perch problem even after switching to bread paste although I did catch a lot more Roach of a reasonable size. So I tried using cheese paste for the Chub under the overhanging bushes and trees and still caught a lot of Perch with it and just 3 reasonable Chub. Neither of us experienced any deep hooking problems with the Perch even on our small hook size. I also hooked and managed to successfully land 3 fairly large branches which meant putting a new hook on as I believe there is nothing like a branch to kill the sharpness of the hook except for a really stony river bed.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Dales Ive found the live/dead/worm thing can really vary from water to water.

On one commercial I used to target for big Perch lives ruled despite the very coloured water.Worms were so so but deads were a complete waste of time!.However on another local commercial Steve Burke swears by deads and he does plenty ok! The waters are very similar so I dont know why this is.

I have also had a bit of success with deads for Perch and have even had some while Piking with wire traces but it has not been as good for me as lobs, but like you say things vary from one water to another. I just seemed to get nailed by small Perch when I have used lives and when ever I have gone to big baits I get attention from the Pike :rolleyes:

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

While fishing on the Suffolk Stour one evening recently with a friend we hit a Perch stretch.

In a 2 hour session we must have caught around 70 fish between us the smallest was 13oz with the majority being over the 2lb mark.

I have been back to the swim since and had the same Perch problem even after switching to bread paste although I did catch a lot more Roach of a reasonable size.

I wish I had this problem every time I went fishing, those quality 2 lb plus Perch can be a right pain :lol::D

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Lots of pikers will get the hump with this of course but the come back is are we expected to use wire in any situation a pike may pick up a bait? I can tell you Ive had more pike on worms and boillies meant for carp/tench/bream than Ive caught on live baits meant for Perch so should I use wire when fishing them!

I think I was bitten off three times by pike at Wingham this year - on fake maggots!

I would be much more concerned about leaving a couple of trebles in a fish than one single, though.

I use a wire trace when spinning for perch, too, although I've not had sight of a pike over the last few trips to the Thames - used to get loads of jacks there. No chub either, for that matter.

Such a shame that you are being pestered by 2lb perch and theirs me thinking bleak and sticklebacks are annoying. Perch on cheese paste they must be really hungry. Must have a really health stretch of river are there many pike around?

If you need some wonderfully limp, knotable and thin (but strong) wire trace then try this online store called AGM Products.

I bought the Surfstrand Micro Supreme 7x7 and its really good stuff.

The owner of the website is really helpful as well as I was not sure whether to use a knot or crimps. Instead of trying to sell me crimps and a crimping tool he recommended the half blood knot which works a treat.

He even refunded part of my postage because it didnt cost as much as it said on the website!

I wish I had this problem every time I went fishing, those quality 2 lb plus Perch can be a right pain :lol::D

Simple p.m. me and come fishing with Clive and me you and Clive can keep the Perch away from the Roach...but if catching small Perch like that is unusual thing for you, then we can teach you...no charge...no bulls**t.

However if your angling isn't up to it be man enough to admit it and not knock others whose ability obviously outstrips yours.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

but if catching small Perch like that is unusual thing for you, then we can teach you...no charge...no bulls**t.

It's just I am not used to people describing 2 pound plus Perch as small fish :huh: For many anglers a 2 pounder is a quality fish.

However if your angling isn't up to it be man enough to admit it and not knock others whose ability obviously outstrips yours.

I think my Perch fishing skills are good enough, I had my first 4 pounder this year and have had 6 three pounders over the years and maybe hundred odd 2 pounders. This may well not be up to your standard but good enough for me.

And by the way I was not knocking you or any one else, to catch 70 Perch in two hours with the smallest being 13 oz and the majority being over 2 pound is an amazing feat and something any Perch fan would dream about. Hence my :lol::D because you think catching such fish is a problem. I can only guess at the tonnage of fish you must haul out on a good day.

Mr toad you seem a very hard man to please, I will pass on your kind offer to teach me to fish. I think I would rather bumble around in my amateurish way then ever get so good that I would dismiss a big haul of quality Perch as a problem. If I ever get to the stage I feel that way, I would sell my fishing gear and take up another past time.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Species Caught 2013

Species Caught 2012
Species Caught 2011
Species Caught 2010
Species Caught 2009
Species Caught 2008
Species Caught 2007