Rods & Reel Dilemma ?

g4fne

Hi folks. I've been lost to the world of carp angling for last 20years & hoping to step back into the world of coarse/match fishing. Things have obviously changed & i'm starting to confuse myself with the different type of advice available & i'm also struggling getting perspective on suitable sized & power of rods & reels etc

My requirements are as follows

River Stour in Kent (medium sized river) for small silvers etc.

I have been considering the Shakespeare Mach2 XT Wand 10ft, but people are telling me i should really go for a 12ft rod. I am looking to use for light feeder & bomb work. Any thoughts on this

9acre Lake with Bream to 10lb & Tench to 9lb

This is a little more complicated so please bear with me ..........

I have a set of 1-3/4lb tc 11ft carp rods from the early 1990's. These are in superb condition, i have a certain amount of sentimental attachment to them, but the handle is to long so I am considering having 5" chopped off the butt section & corked (professional rod builder).

My question is will a 1-3/4lb tc rod at 10ft 7" long be a compromise for stillwater bream & tench ??. I'm hoping to use feeder or PVA stocking to about 40-50 yards distance

Then we come to reels.

I have a set of 8000gte Shimano Baitrunners. Are these just too big for for stillwater bream & tench ??

I would appreciate anyone taking the time to read & offer some advice

The longer feeder/quiver tip rods we have today are much better for river fishing. I used to fish Grove Ferry and Pucks Gutter quite regularly and used a MAP 12' Medium feeder.

For the still water bream and tenching the 1 3/4 lb rod will be ideal.Why chop 5" off the butt though? if your having the handles rebuilt just get the guy to alter the position of the reel seat to suit you! If your close to Ashford You can always come and see me and I can show you the various alternatives and measure you up.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!