Good setup for chub?

turboturkey

I would like to know a effective method of catching chub on small rivers.

Is float fishing a good method?

What is good depth to catch them?

Is bait on a hair rig good for chub or on the hook?

What are the best baits to use and best hook size? (are boilies worth trying)

:)

I would like to know a effective method of catching chub on small rivers.

Is float fishing a good method?

What is good depth to catch them?

Is bait on a hair rig good for chub or on the hook?

What are the best baits to use and best hook size? (are boilies worth trying)

:)

Hi. Although i have had chub on a hair rig (using boilies) it is more rare as they tend to nip at baits with their lips rather than swallow them like barbel. A good start is a simple feeder rig with a single piece of corn. (corn was recommended to me to avoid eels by someone on here and ive not looked back since when fishing for chub). I use a 3oz cage feeder filled with hemp, a little corn and plugged with carp groundbait as it has lots of particles and is quite sweet. I use a size 14 hook with a single piece of corn. I used this method around a week back and had 8 brown trout and 8 chub. It was none stop action on the tip of the rod. Bites were very frequent.

Alternatively you can trot for them with an avon or stick float using a variety of baits such as bread, maggots and casters. I have caught chub at all sorts of depths from dead bottom to mid water so they can be found in most depths. Hope that helps.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

I was about to explain how I would go about it - but then I remembered that Anderoo wrote an article for AN which describes exactly the same approach:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/coarse-fishing...ub-fishing.html

I was about to explain how I would go about it - but then I remembered that Anderoo wrote an article for AN which describes exactly the same approach:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/coarse-fishing...ub-fishing.html

Whereas I get most of my chub trotting!

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/coarse-fishing...for-barbel.html

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Whereas I get most of my chub trotting!

Trotting is fantastic sport and can be most effective of all on its day, and I would highly recommend it, but I'd say that there is a steeper learning curve. I've dropped into the bottom of a match angler's swim with legered flake while he's been weighing in a couple of pounds of hard won bits and pulled a big chub out first chuck. And had the same done to me as a young match angler!

pick 5 likely swims, bait each one with a good handful of hemp and a good handful of small (pea sized) chopped luncheon meat/spam. Return to the first swim and set up our rod but away from the bank.

4lb hooklength should be fine unless there are lots of barbel/carp. size 8 hook buried into a piece of meat slighly smaller than a golf ball (alternate the size if bites aren't regular). use a flat lead to match the flow, I use 3/4 oz leads most of the time in an average flow small river with depth 2-3 foot.

give each swim 20 minutes and if you haven't caught throw in some more hemp and meat before you move on.

this method hasn't failed for me summer or winter, although the river I've been fishing (Dane, Cheshire) does have a good head of chub.