how to spool a centerpin?

lozza

What is the correct way to spool a centerpin? Is the line supposed to come of the top of the drum or the bottom? Does this effect is the way it can be used i.e Wallace casting? Is it just personal preference?

What is the correct way to spool a centerpin? Is the line supposed to come of the top of the drum or the bottom? Does this effect is the way it can be used i.e Wallace casting? Is it just personal preference?

Personal preference I think. Some argue that the line coming off the top provides a more direct route through the rings but that can only be of little benefit once the line has passed through the first ring. As regards Wallis casting it should still be possible thinking about it.

I load with line coming off the bottom only because I’m used to turning a handle away from me to retrieve. Whichever way you decide best to stick to it otherwise a major trip to Tangledom (© TT) is on the cards.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

spooling a centrepin is easy ,make sure the line goes onto the centrepin in the same direction it leaves the lines wheel

spoolingpins.jpg

for me though its bottoms is best ,i tried whally casting with the line comming off the top ,it was awfull and awkwood .no bottom is best

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Hook a really big fish. Have less than 50m of line on the reel - you'll get spooled every time.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

You can Wallis cast with the line coming off the top of the spool a good friend of mine does it all the time and I can manage it also without any great difficulty However it is a damn sight easier if you have the line coming off the bottom of the spool

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

As I was initially introduced to using a pin for trotting light stick floats in my match fishing days I always have the line coming of the top.

Smoother control,less chance of tangles and IMO easier to "batt" away from you rather than towards you.Never caused me any problems casting either.

So I suppose the real answer is that there is no "correct" way just a case of trying and making a personal choice.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Among my excessive stock I own one of those cheap shadowlanda reels but with a 6 inch drum there is only one sensible way to have the line and that is coming off the top oyherwise the line is at quite an angle to the butt ring. However for a normal 3 0r 4 inch reel I would prefer line coming from the bottom.

Edited by weirwulf