Commemorative plaque for Two Tone

poledark

I know that the stocking of these fish is pretty commonplace, and has been for many years, Andrew, but that doesn't alter my view that it's wrong. Yes it was a colossal fish, you could even call it a freak, but sadly not a freak of nature. The acceptance of such fish makes a mockery of an already flawed Record Fish List. We seem more and more intent on making ourselves the bad guys, and then we wonder why angling is the subject of so much bad press. I'll wait for the comments after the One Show tonight, and see if we are the butt of amusement or anger, or a mixture of both.

As for The Mere, I think you missed my point. I wondered if some would be more concerned about the death of a few obese carp, than they would about the death of the waters complete ecosystem. Some of the comments I've read seem to concentrate their concerns on the former.

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't have any issues with it being set up (is that techie talk for being stuffed?), in fact my first thoughts when reading this thread were to do just that and display Two Tone in the club house or wherever he could be viewed.

There's nothing wrong with the social gathering of captors and friends but the plaque and what appears to be a gathering of mourners I think will be ridiculed. Two Tone isn't under the plaque, at best there'll be bits of him which is worse than nothing.

If it had been possible I think it would have been best to keep this amongst those who acknowledge the significance of the event and leave it at that. I'm not sure of the wisdom of the TV appearance.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I would have never wanted to fish for the record carp but I think I will go and see it when it's been set up, just out of curiosity. 67lb...I can't even imagine it. The biggest carp I've ever seen is half that size, and was huge.

Is that the one I caught? :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Is that the one I caught? :D

Nope ;) Yours is the second biggest carp I've ever seen :)

As many of you know, I'm not exactly a fan of stuffing every bit of water with carp (or any other species), but fish like Two Tone and the Black Mirror (and that 'uncaught 60lb+ common' in the Mere) have grown huge in natural, low stock lakes, feeding on natural food. They are not obese, boilie-stuffed monsters. Surely the fact that such fish can grow naturally to such amazing sizes is what makes fishing so exciting?

Each lake in question is very rich, has a very low stock of carp and is very hard to fish. Not the sort of places I would condemn, and in no way comparable to 'commercials'. (Does anyone here know the approximate acreage and no. carp in both/either lakes, out of interest?)

What will happen to the record list is a fair question though, depending on the history of the next carp to break the record. It could well go the same way as the catfish record.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

This thing about the carp in the Brook being Triploids,where does it come from as I have never heard it before and would have thought the age of the fish would have meant this wasnt likely? John youve mentioned it a few times can you expand on it? Den do you know anything about this?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

As far as I know, Conningbrook is about 35acres, with around 30 'known' fish, Andrew. No idea about the overall stocking level.

With 'The Mere' being an SSSI, and not open to fishing anyway, I think the stocking info will be harder to find.

John.

Ooops, cross posted with Budgie.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

This thing about the carp in the Brook being Triploids,where does it come from as I have never heard it before and would have thought the age of the fish would have meant this wasnt likely? John youve mentioned it a few times can you expand on it? Den do you know anything about this?

Hi Budgie, I read it on one of the carp forums, (not sure which off hand, but will try and find it again), it wasn't disputed by anyone, so I stand to be corrected if it's not true. I've read various opinions as to how old the fish was, ranging from 20-50yrs, but nothing concrete. Do you know it's proper age?

John.

EDIT

I've found one of the references to it being triploid Budgie, I'm sure I've seen another.

http://www.cemexangling.co.uk/forums/showt...8042&page=8

Post 71.

Edited by gozzer

It was dug in the early 80's and stocked by Faversham Angling Club with fish from their Mill Pool.In the early days the angling was restricted to say the least but once MKF started up they got involved pretty soon.Initially it was shared by both MKF and Faversham.When I fished it both were still on the lease.

Never really had much else in it other than the stocked carp and a few pike.Back in my day we were under the impression that we were fishing for around 17 fish.Its hard to know exactly as MKF are renowned for moving fish amongst their waters!

The strain of stocked fish weas very good and the Mill Pond has supplied a lot of the big carp in my areas parents! The origin of these origonally is a bit clouded to say the least with several weird stories doing the rounds! I think the real secret was the fact that they had a good genetic lineage and 35 acres of rich "virgin" water all to them selves.

My first involvement with the water was when a friend and member of my syndicate (Paul Forward) was fishing it and getting a lot of "easy" thirties! This would have been in the early 90's amazing when you think how young the water still was. I was actually offered the running of the place but didnt get involved because I had got heavily into catfish and wasnt 100% sure the tales I was hearing were true...........

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

How old, and how long it's been in the water, seems a bit of a mystery, Budgie. I've done a bit of research, (nothing very intense), but until you mentioned that you'd had it at 28lb, I couldn't find a reference to it being less than a low 30. I'm therefore not surprised when you say they have regularly move fish from water to water. Without any definite records, surely it could have been put in at any time, and at any weight.

John.