need a new match reel :(

mike1234

i dropped my match reel and nackered it whilst packing up.

and to be honest it probably needed replacing anyway because the drag would stick when playing bigger fish.

had a look down the tackle shop at new ones but wasnt impressed with what was on offer

i have had a look online at a few reels around the £50 mark and like the look of the daiwa harrier match reel.

as anyone used one or can make a better suggestion?

i only use my 14ft match rod for light float fishing but on the odd occasion manage to hook into double figure carp and have landed most of them on 4lb line but with no thanks to my old reel which was jerky and awkward when the fish made a run,

any advice would be much appreciated as i am no expert in picking tackle and it needs to last a while before i can afford another

not exactly sure what a match reel is :blink:

not exactly sure modern reels match or otherwise are designed to to live after their warranty runs out anyway.

what was your old reel?

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Without hesitation I would say buy a second hand ABU 501 or 506M off Fleabay. If you dont like closed face reels then take a look at the Shimano Match RE once again second hand all though the current version (what ever that is!) would be worth a look.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

not exactly sure what a match reel is :blink:

not exactly sure modern reels match or otherwise are designed to to live after their warranty runs out anyway.

what was your old reel?

dunno if a "match" reel is the proper term for a small light reel holding only enough line for float fishing just what i have known them

my old reel was a mitchell but not sure of the model would have to retract it from the bottom of the bin to find out

There are so many that if everyone replied with their favourite you would be inundated with suggestions. Best bets are to try a friends, or take your rod to a shop and try some out for balance etc :)

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

go shimano all the way the new GT range has smooth drag system with a fighting drag lever which enables you to turn the drag down very quickly. it comes with three spools and will cope with any style of light/medium feeder and float work. i uesd to play a lot of fish off back wind but the drag on the modern reels is very good.

I forgot to say it also depends a bit on whether you fish still or running water.For running water the closed face is far superior for trotting (instant line pick up unlike a bail arm on an open faced reel) However if its mainly for still water work then an open face certainly casts further.

As Lozza says modern drags actually do work!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

dunno if a "match" reel is the proper term for a small light reel holding only enough line for float fishing just what i have known them

my old reel was a mitchell but not sure of the model would have to retract it from the bottom of the bin to find out

i would plump for a mitchell but ecactly the same one ,if it was metal then its already lasted longer than several replacement graphite ones ,as budgie says that or an ABU i still use mine from the 70's the drag is a rubbish as it always was :D

modern ones are fine but i have found they dont stay perfect for long and end up in exactly the same state as an old one anyway :lol:

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I have one of these and can't fault it

http://www.veals4carp.com/1257/Shimano-Exa...ampaign=pid1257

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/