30 years ago .....

Gog

..... I gave all my tackle to my nephew and ended a very inauspicious angling career. For a while now, I've begun to regret this act of generosity, and finally I have started to replace the old gear with some shiny new kit. At the same time, I have surfed the net for updates on techniques and venues: I stopped when I found this forum, as this seems to be the place for me (if you'll have me). I've been out twice, so far, and already have a new personal best for carp - easily achieved, because I had never caught one in my previous incarnation. So I'm cock-a-hoop with my two commons of about 4lb each (not weighed)!

Enough of this, I just thought I should say hello and thanks to all who have posted top quality info on the forum; from which I have already benefitted.

Gog.

Welcome back to angling and welcome to Anglers' Net.

Gear and tactics in vogue today are different but the fish really aren't. I caught fish 60 years ago using a hook baited with worm fished below a float and with a bit of shot to make the rig work better. The pole was 7ft of cured bamboo, the line was a coarse braid, the shot was lead, the float was a cork from a whiskey bottle with a hole in the center and a match stick to stop the float from sliding, and I ate what I caught.

I imagine the same rig would catch fish today.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Sure worked for me. Caught my first on a bamboo cane rod and some green twine in 1988 (4yo). Finished off with a bobber float and solder wire wound round a knot a foot from the hook. Never eaten what I caught but wouldn't even be a mouthful in those first few years lol.

Welcome back, similar situation as me but shorter time frame :-D

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue