Flavouring Maggots

Elton

What do you use to flavour maggots? A specific 'maggot flavouring', or is it something that can be done in a DIY fashion? i.e. like luncheon meat, etc.

I've got some sweet boilie dips - would they work?

Ta,

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Morning Elton,

I use Turmeric. I riddle the maggots to remove all the old maize meal or whatever they're kept in, and then add half a packet of Tumeric.

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

I've just put a few into a tub with some strawberry boilie dip, as I'm after a sweet flavour. Fingers crossed!

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

The boilie dip will work fine Elton..No probelm with that, any flavouring liquid, powder or oil will do the trick and can only be better than the Maggots natural ammonia smell. Just riddle them first to allow max coverage (if you have a riddle) or remove as much of the maggots "bedding" as you can. Take your boilie dip with you for your hookbait...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

Cheers, Steve. I added some, along with some method mix groundbait. They seem to be doing quite well :)

Found it is best to flavour,with carp bait type flavours any way.as close to using them as possible as the amonia soon "sours" the flavour.Things like tumeric.cummin and curry powders dont seem so badly affected and are best added a day or to before use.Anyone else found this?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Take up chewing tobacco. Just before casting out, spit on them. Fish seem to love the tobacco flavor although they don't like it after it's burned as a smoker would do.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

The first time I used maggots was when I went fishing with my Uncle John in 1942. He was a farmer, and anything that died on the farm went into his "maggotry".

The end results were nothing like the cleaned, riddled, sanitised, scented, maize-dusted pampered darlings of today.

No - these were farmer's maggots - lean, mean and far from clean. Flavoured strongly in that first instance with the scent of long-dead chickens. I can smell it now (is that nostalgia, or the fact that I have not washed my hands since 1942 ? )

Those maggots caught fish too :cool: :cool:

[ 17. August 2004, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: Vagabond ]

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

im a great fan of archie braddocks supa spice when sprinkled on to maggots the day before the maggots seem to absorb the stuff as its stays inside the maggots and is even present inside the casters too when they turn.and the fish seem to love it too.