How To Catch Tench

Elton

Posted on behalf of Benjamin. Please add all replies to this thread:

Please can you tell me how to catch tench. On what bait and what method?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I'm no expert but here's a few thoughts.

Tench are bottom feeders, if float fishing make sure you're hard on the bottom.

Can be caught in still or running waters.

Best caught in summer months.

Baits various including, worm, maggot, bread, corn (some say red is best).

If practicable raking the swim can produce results.

Giveaway signs of feeding Tench are bursts of small bubbles.

I'm sure there are others on here who can fill in more details.

Tench are my favourite coarse fish (after Crucians!), pound for pound, they fight harder than anything else, usually digging deep, and reluctant to come to the surface.

Well worth the effort to target.

As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler. Izaac Walton

I'm no expert but here's a few thoughts.

Tench are bottom feeders, if float fishing make sure you're hard on the bottom.

Can be caught in still or running waters.

Best caught in summer months.

Baits various including, worm, maggot, bread, corn (some say red is best).

If practicable raking the swim can produce results.

Giveaway signs of feeding Tench are bursts of small bubbles.

I'm sure there are others on here who can fill in more details.

Tench are my favourite coarse fish (after Crucians!), pound for pound, they fight harder than anything else, usually digging deep, and reluctant to come to the surface.

Well worth the effort to target.

+1 All the above is fantastic advice

Other tips relating not so much to fishing, but the habits of the angler is:

Try to keep noise to a minimum, and also be aware of landing stages ect: as walking tends to create amplified booms throughout the water.

I would agree with the ''Red'' comment. Red groundbait, red maggots, red corn... For some reason they prefer red?

Also, if its a lake/pit try to be at the receiving end of the water ripples. For some reason if the ripples are coming towards your end of the lake you seem to catch more (Maybe because it carries surface flies ect: to one end of the lake?

Species Caught 2011: Mirror Carp, Barbel, Ide, Rudd, Roach, Bleak, Perch, Bream,

Species Caught 2010: Perch, Pike, Roach, Rudd, Bleak, Bream, Gudgeon, Ruffe, Ide, Tench, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Barbel, Chub, F1, Crusian Carp, Goldfish

Bit late in the year to be starting a tench campaign - but if it stays warm you're in with a chance. All my tench this year have been caught float fishing - with the majority coming within a rod length of the bank! I much prefer the lift method (do a search on Anglersnet - its been much debated in the past). Favoutite baits are bacon grill, black pudding (fry it first), pellet and the humble maggot. Have also had good numbers of tench in the past on cockle.

C.

Edited by Chris Plumb

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Whilst you will definitely succeed in cathing tench in daylight all my better specimens have come after dark right in a vegetation covered margin or close to lillies. Well balanced tackle presented in a way that would trick even a crucian seems to do well although in carp waters they will pick up boilies etc and not be shy at all. Best bait I have found so far is a good sized bit of paste made from special g groundbait or green koi swim stim pellets

Just one point to add B) Tench might be primarily bottom feeders but, they will and do take baits fished several inches higher up in the water. :thumbs:

I couldn't agree more. My other half caught one about 4 inches deep in the middle of a lake on single red maggot! took it on the drop :)

Species Caught 2011: Mirror Carp, Barbel, Ide, Rudd, Roach, Bleak, Perch, Bream,

Species Caught 2010: Perch, Pike, Roach, Rudd, Bleak, Bream, Gudgeon, Ruffe, Ide, Tench, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Barbel, Chub, F1, Crusian Carp, Goldfish

Just one point to add B) Tench might be primarily bottom feeders but, they will and do take baits fished several inches higher up in the water. :thumbs:

Yes of course that is so and I have accidentaly caught a good tench on floating crust but surely this thread is about how you would target them. I hope our friend Steve Burke will not mind me mentioning his name but he suggested recently it sometimes pays to zig rig for tench and bream in deep water if nothing is doing on the bottom and this of course will mean the bait can be at all knids of depths and still be picked up but generally my advice would still have to be to fish a well raked lake bed close to lillies or other vegetation and keep the presentation as fine as possible without risking tackle loss

black pudding (fry it first)

I've done that, but it won't keep long enough to fish with :lol:

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...