Shades for float fishing

lutra

I'm sure some of you float trotters on here will know it can be hard work to see a float as it trots down the river and the sun is shinning. Personally I wear a big brimmed hat and a pair of Polarized sunglasses, but i was wondering if there is a better way.

Given that most of my floats seem to have a red or orange top, would something like glasses with a green lens help? Or should i go for none polarized glasses? Are them green Shakespeare Sun Visors better?

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I would avoid polarised glasses myself. They're great for seeing through the surface film but in clear water conditions that very quality means that you can't tell whether the float tip is on the surface or under it - not good.

I'd also avoid green reflective lenses because they reflect away the blue/yellow light and allow through a higher proportion of light towards the red end of the spectrum. Great for spotting a float tip 'cause it stands out like a beacon but with a lot of coarse fishing done under trees which will themselves have filtered out most of the red light (that's why you see them as green) it means that your glasses allow so little of the ambient light through that you can't see your feet - been there, done that threw them away.

So in summary, for fish spotting, a good pair of polarised glasses are a must but for actual float fishing, I'd go with a comfortable pair of bog standard glasses that are suitable for the lighting conditions.

I don't really do a lot of float fishing being a lure nut but i will add that my current pair are polarised and have blue reflective lenses, Very easy on the eyes when it's bright out because they really reflect away a lot of the harsh blue light.

I also have a pair of Bole safety glasses for low light conditions - I've had one lot of eye surgery and would rather avoid any more.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I use a had with a wide brim and sunglass , but a black tip on the float is also very usefull

gr jerry

And as finishing touch

god created the dutch

For me I tend to use Brown tinted lenses for most occasions with some yellow tinted lenses for poor light conditions all polarised.

My current favourites have a small +2.50 lense built in to the bottom which allos me to do small fiddly jobs without having to change glasses a real bonus nowadays

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

If you buy some crystal insert wagglers with the interchangeable tips (such as the Drennan), you can colour some of the tips white or black etc and simply change them to suit the conditions.

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

I would avoid polarised glasses myself. They're great for seeing through the surface film but in clear water conditions that very quality means that you can't tell whether the float tip is on the surface or under it - not good.

Yes I've suffered with that myself at times, but It's not something that seems to happen when I'm trotting. Maybe it's because when I'm trotting I'm often stood in the river and very low down to the water Polarised glasses are also great when wading for seeing where you are walking.

Also most of the pegs i tend to fish are in open water and not under over hanging trees.

Often when I'm trotting I can see the float fine at close range and at longer range, but its the bit in the middle where the light/ reflection seems to change from dark to light that i struggle and sods law puts it where i seem to get most of my bites, about 15yrds down stream. :angry:

Think I'll get the black paint out and see if that helps at all. B)

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep