Fishing terms you do not like.

Dales

One of Jim Gibbinson's best-ever articles was some advice to wannabe carp-fishing writers.

Title "Basically, at the end of the day, this is what its all about"

Lots of advice on how to work carpers' jargon into your writings........and what I thought was a real gem :

"....if you are unable to supply pictures of carp with your article, a photo of a carp-fishing "name" mooning at the camera is acceptable to many carp magazine editors. Quite why carp fishers feel it neccessary to display their bare buttocks is something of a mystery, although similar behaviour in chimpanzees and baboons is well documented - perhaps in the case of carpfishers it is something to do with swim reservation." :lol:

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plenty, cos I'm a right misery :)

- 'chod'

- 'social'

- 'geez(er)'

- 'chops'

- 'get on the [name of current bandwagon, usually a boilie name or rig]'

- 'syndi'

- 'pukka' (FFS)

- 'camo' (as a verb, GOD it annoys me)

- 'guesting'

- 'noddies'

- 'target fish'

- 'wrong 'un'

- describing any item of tackle by it's brand name, e.g. 'Armo' (just call it a bivvy eh?) or 'tournies' (IT'S A REEL!)

- 'this is a [insert name of boilie manufacturer here] lake mate'

- any name of a fish

These are usually combined into a single hateful sentence that despite my calm demenour, makes me want to beat the offending simpleton to within an inch of his unimaginative life with a copy of the OED.

'Alright geez, had a result last night, had ****face at 39.10, biggest in the syndi mate. Was 'aving a social, just banged out a chod and a few chops, camoed up the rig like, course this is a mainline lake mate so I got on the cell for this season, pukka bait, it's doin' the business down here this year, thought I might get my target fish once the noddies had ****ed off home like. Was in the Armo and the delk screeched off, rest is history, went 39.10 on the reubens. Next target is Pisswings, course that means doin' a bit of guesting, know what I mean?'

CHRIST :rolleyes:

Lol made me chuckle at work that one. Good post lol. Have to agree with you on most of those. I hate most fishing terms when used by the local hooded yoofs! They somehow want to make it sound like they know all the things in the world about angling just because they spout nonsensicle ****s that they read in the latest puddle fishing magazine. Any way some terms that really get up my nose and are often used by the yoof are as follows:

1.Runs water - Arent they all you tool! Fish do have a tendency to run away when hooked!

2.Chod Rig - Its just a rig for fishing on top of weed. What the hell is a chod anyway!!!!!

3.Clonker (Matt Hayes made me hate this) - A what now? Oh big fish. I get you. Why not just say it was a big fish then?

4.Bits - A bit? So you catch just a fin? Oh you mean small fish. Ok.

5.Any nickname for a fish - 'He' is not called paul it is called cyprinus carpio carpio!

6.Cha - The suffix to any sentence uttered from the mouth of some slack jawed cock stood on the opposite bank as he launches another spod in the general direction of your swim ruining your day and making you wonder why you arent at the river instead. Used in context : 'Watch this sick cast cha!'. Anyone from lancashire (in particular around preston) is bound to have heard this before.

Thats about it for now but sure I could think of more that get on my nerves. :P

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

When I used to go out to clubs etc with my m8's lookin for women....as you do unless your (one of those other types) and one of us tapped a woman up we'd say that they'd "bagged off ":).

If someone said "where you off tonight" and you where turning out lookin for some female company the you where goin "baggin off".

I once bagged off and got stuck with it ....several times :lol:

When I used to go out to clubs etc with my m8's lookin for women....as you do unless your (one of those other types) and one of us tapped a woman up we'd say that they'd "bagged off ":).

If someone said "where you off tonight" and you where turning out lookin for some female company the you where goin "baggin off".

I once bagged off and got stuck with it ....several times :lol:

Maybe all baggin is not so bad after all :D

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

^^ Anderoo :lol:

Sounds a bit too convincing to me, have you gone native while deep undercover in search of tench?

Nah mate, I just stick a snide down the edge after old matey's gone home ;)

Snide - forgot that one. Hate it.

EDIT: surprised Pisswings wasn't censored, the swear filter must know it's a right old lump, proper old scaley one, not a wrong 'un.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Casual passers-by who ask if you've 'caught anything', followed by 'do you take them home or throw them back'

Fish being referred to as 'Nuisance fish' if they are not the target species.

Guesting - equates to illegal fishing, nothing to be proud of especially in public

Lead shot - we don't use it any more (do we ??)

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

Casual passers-by who ask if you've 'caught anything', followed by 'do you take them home or throw them back'

Fish being referred to as 'Nuisance fish' if they are not the target species.

Guesting - equates to illegal fishing, nothing to be proud of especially in public

Lead shot - we don't use it any more (do we ??)

yeh i hate that too when anything otehr than a huge carp is a nuisance fish, those type of anglers really have lost their way. And i agree with pearbo, alex bones drives me mad!

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

One of Jim Gibbinson's best-ever articles was some advice to wannabe carp-fishing writers.

Title "Basically, at the end of the day, this is what its all about"

Lots of advice on how to work carpers' jargon into your writings........and what I thought was a real gem :

"....if you are unable to supply pictures of carp with your article, a photo of a carp-fishing "name" mooning at the camera is acceptable to many carp magazine editors. Quite why carp fishers feel it neccessary to display their bare buttocks is something of a mystery, although similar behaviour in chimpanzees and baboons is well documented - perhaps in the case of carpfishers it is something to do with swim reservation." :lol:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::lol::lol::lol:

john clarke

Silver fish - so called because they can't identify them because they are not carp! :rolleyes:

Bagging - I can't understand how this is used with islands, mountains and peaks, how can you bag an island is beyond me???????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Male anglers who think women haven't a clue when it comes to fishing!!! :P

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!