Who thinks up these bait bans?

mike1234

I have fished a good few waters this year and have seen some bait bans that are understandable and some that just seem barmy.

i understand that certain baits can effect water quality especially on heavily pressured venues and some places ban tinned baits due to the litter bugs but yesterday i found one that had a ban list of baits longer than my girlfriends christmas list

including no bread, sweetcorn, hemp, pulses, meat, or pellets amongst many others

it would have perhaps been easier to list what could be used

I've caught fish on a bare hook before, if that helps :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I am having the same problem. A fishery near me will not allow me to use a lot of things, the main things I am annoyed at being unable to use are: Groundbait, Braid, Paste, Boilies - Also in addition to that ''No baiting up''

I can understand their ''No barbed hooks'' rule... For the benefit of the fish. But why not groundbait??? is it bad for fish?

Species Caught 2011: Mirror Carp, Barbel, Ide, Rudd, Roach, Bleak, Perch, Bream,

Species Caught 2010: Perch, Pike, Roach, Rudd, Bleak, Bream, Gudgeon, Ruffe, Ide, Tench, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Barbel, Chub, F1, Crusian Carp, Goldfish

Try to look at this from a strictly business point of view

When you see people throwing in absolutely endless quantities of these baits, which can take a long time to decay if not eaten, you can understand why Pond/Lake owners ban them. Moderation is key but some Anglers forget this.

1) If you have a Lake so full of free offerings that hookbaits are ignored Anglers go elsewhere and revenue is lost.

2) Anglers then do not fish the Pond/Lake because the fish do not bite and revenue is lost.

3) No Anglers fish the pond nor recommend to friends because the fish are full from the freebies and revenue is lost.

Most still water owners need the revenue from their venues to continue providing good facilities.

I once saw a Large pond drained 2 years after a Boilie ban and saw still endless amounts of Boilies still evident on the bottom.

The stench was particularly nasty too.

Try to look at this from a strictly business point of view

When you see people throwing in absolutely endless quantities of these baits, which can take a long time to decay if not eaten, you can understand why Pond/Lake owners ban them. Moderation is key but some Anglers forget this.

1) If you have a Lake so full of free offerings that hookbaits are ignored Anglers go elsewhere and revenue is lost.

2) Anglers then do not fish the Pond/Lake because the fish do not bite and revenue is lost.

3) No Anglers fish the pond nor recommend to friends because the fish are full from the freebies and revenue is lost.

Most still water owners need the revenue from their venues to continue providing good facilities.

I once saw a Large pond drained 2 years after a Boilie ban and saw still endless amounts of Boilies still evident on the bottom.

The stench was particularly nasty too.

I can see 100% why these bans may be put in place. Especially with the likes of Boilies ect: I have had some in a glass of water for 6 days now so I get a nice smelly glass of water for my groundbait. The boilies will also be mushed up and added to the groundbait. But the boilies still look as they were when I placed them in there!

They problem these fisheries have though is enforcing the bans. I fish at a place called ''Lower Ridge Fishery'' it is a fantastic place with excellent facilities and the owner is a cracking guy. Not only do they have bait restriction, they also have things like ''No barbed hooks'' which makes perfect sense for the benefit of the fish. Sadly though nearly every time I have gone there I have saw people neglecting the bait rules, and the evidence of barbed hooks being used is pretty clear to see also.

The guy on the next peg caught an 8lb carp which had blood coming from it. The reason? Someone had clearly hooked the fish and been snapped off, the carp had fishing line all over it, this had cut deep into the scales of the fish. Also we spotted a float trailing behind it, and in its mouth??? a size 8 barbed hook! I have also caught perch ect: with lips that have been shredded from constant barbed hooks going in and out.

But although I see the logic in these bans. If for example I am fishing, doing pretty well... And a guy appears on the next peg, places in 8-9 tennis ball sized lumps of groundbait in, then a handful of boilies and then casts his boilie hair rig out... I notice the fish quickly move off to his swim due to the higher quality/quantity of baits his has put out. I have paid my fee and the carp are hard to come by...

I imagine the drained water two years after the boilie ban consisted mainly of boilies put in recently though, not from before the ban.

The bans do benefit anglers and fish, but when the bans are ignored its if not worse to anglers who abide by the rules.

Species Caught 2011: Mirror Carp, Barbel, Ide, Rudd, Roach, Bleak, Perch, Bream,

Species Caught 2010: Perch, Pike, Roach, Rudd, Bleak, Bream, Gudgeon, Ruffe, Ide, Tench, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Barbel, Chub, F1, Crusian Carp, Goldfish

I can see 100% why these bans may be put in place. Especially with the likes of Boilies ect: I have had some in a glass of water for 6 days now so I get a nice smelly glass of water for my groundbait. The boilies will also be mushed up and added to the groundbait. But the boilies still look as they were when I placed them in there!

They problem these fisheries have though is enforcing the bans. I fish at a place called ''Lower Ridge Fishery'' it is a fantastic place with excellent facilities and the owner is a cracking guy. Not only do they have bait restriction, they also have things like ''No barbed hooks'' which makes perfect sense for the benefit of the fish. Sadly though nearly every time I have gone there I have saw people neglecting the bait rules, and the evidence of barbed hooks being used is pretty clear to see also.

The guy on the next peg caught an 8lb carp which had blood coming from it. The reason? Someone had clearly hooked the fish and been snapped off, the carp had fishing line all over it, this had cut deep into the scales of the fish. Also we spotted a float trailing behind it, and in its mouth??? a size 8 barbed hook! I have also caught perch ect: with lips that have been shredded from constant barbed hooks going in and out.

But although I see the logic in these bans. If for example I am fishing, doing pretty well... And a guy appears on the next peg, places in 8-9 tennis ball sized lumps of groundbait in, then a handful of boilies and then casts his boilie hair rig out... I notice the fish quickly move off to his swim due to the higher quality/quantity of baits his has put out. I have paid my fee and the carp are hard to come by...

I imagine the drained water two years after the boilie ban consisted mainly of boilies put in recently though, not from before the ban.

The bans do benefit anglers and fish, but when the bans are ignored its if not worse to anglers who abide by the rules.

I completely understand all this points and agree with them. Could you clarify though, was the reason the carp had line wrapped round it and a float trailing behind because of the barbed hook? or because someone did not have a weaker strength hook line on?

Novice question but I don't want to make a similar mistake. (i do use barbless hooks where I fish and they are checked by the owner daily)

It can be infuriating to watch people blatantly flouting the rules in order for them to catch a couple more fish. I can see why a lot of fishery owners have very little patience for these people (although I have only ever seen one person ejected for breaking the rules as everyone else hides the fact that they are). It does not usually matter how many rules get put in place people will always break them. When I used to be a regular to a few lakes I would see the owner walking round and everyone round the lake reaching down and hiding various items in their bags. It is daft. Why not just listen to the rules and play fair. If they say no boilies then use flavoured pellets and the like. They break down far quicker and are usually just as easy to use. It boils down to the people having no regard whatsoever for either the venue or the fish's health. As long as they catch what they want they dont particularly care or they wouldnt do it.

There is always an acceptable alternative to a banned bait!

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

I completely understand all this points and agree with them. Could you clarify though, was the reason the carp had line wrapped round it and a float trailing behind because of the barbed hook? or because someone did not have a weaker strength hook line on?

Novice question but I don't want to make a similar mistake. (i do use barbless hooks where I fish and they are checked by the owner daily)

Could be either or both really. The hook will likely stay in until it has rotted away, holding the line and the float in place but then the float should usually be attached above where the hooklength is attached anyway. Could be a **** poor rig or someone has used the same strength line straight through. Either way the barbed hook would stay in for a long time before it decays.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Its most likely a combination of the two.

The line did seem quite a good strength for the size of fish. Its possible the fish had wrapped itself around a snag, or their may have been a small kink in the line weakening it.

A barbless hook however would have a greater chance of working itself out of the fish.

There is probably going to be an occasion in most peoples time fishing where they will lose a fish as a result of a line failure, or an underwater snag. There is of course always the possibility of a fish much bigger than expected coming out of the water causing your rod/or reel/line to fail. All we can really do is ensure our rigs are up to the best possible standard to avoid this happening as best we can.

Things to look out for is:

1. Check your line and look for any kinks or wavy/frayed patches.

2. Try to estimate the potential size of fish in the water. Just because you are fishing on light tackle in the margins at 2ft deep doesn't mean a monster carp won't come and nail it!

3. Try to set up your rig so that if it should fail it would be as close to the hook as possible (For example 10lb mainline, 8lb hooklength) that way it should break under your float which is marginally better) or below your ledger weight which is 50 miles better!

4. Ensure the clutch is set on the reel, this helps prevent breaking off, and also stops you talking about the one that got away in work the following day.

There are probably hundreds of different things you could do, but those are not most common problems that cause fish to be lost or damaged. The carp that was lost had the same line going from reel to hook. If he used a slightly weaker hooklength the carp would have likely been in a much better way.

I have fished a good few waters this year and have seen some bait bans that are understandable and some that just seem barmy.

i understand that certain baits can effect water quality especially on heavily pressured venues and some places ban tinned baits due to the litter bugs but yesterday i found one that had a ban list of baits longer than my girlfriends christmas list

including no bread, sweetcorn, hemp, pulses, meat, or pellets amongst many others

it would have perhaps been easier to list what could be used

One of the first places I fished as a kid only allowed bread, worms and maggots! No loose feed!

Leave only footprints