Bad deals

Peter Waller

Received a 'sale' catalogue the other day when i bought one of the weeklies. Looked good, huge amounts of money off, as you would expect.

Friend of mine has a tackle shop. Many of the biggest 'deals' concern Okuma. Friend's trade catalogue shows that Okuma is reasonably profitable, at their recommended prices.

Many of the so called 'deals' are shown as having had their prices slashed, sometimes by a third or more, from a high, down to a bargain of a lifetime price, coincidently the same as the retail price as recommended by Okuma in its trade catalogue! Some deal then!

The Adventa is one such real deal that sometimes isn't!

[ 30. January 2005, 09:36 AM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

we come across a chap at the local car boot selling them by the bootfull,he gets them for literally pennies in spain and makes a good living selling them here,rip of britain once again

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

It's not just fishing tackle. Just look at all the ads on telly for sales on furniture and kitchens etc.

Anyone who pays the full price is simply wasting their money!

Some years ago we went into a well-known store to get a quote for some kitchen units. The salesgirl said "Sorry sir, the sale's over". To which I replied "What sale? I'll pay the sale price or nothing". Two minutes later after a word with the manager she came back and whispered, yes whispered, "That's no problem, sir!"

I believe that, by law, any comparison has to be with the last price at which the product was available, or the product must have been available at that higher price for at least 28 days in the previous 6 months. If not a prominently displayed disclaimer must be put up.

I don't reckon the law is tough enough here. In fact 28 days out of 6 months is pathetic! It ought to be at least half the time at the full price.

Then there's the ruse of putting the price up at one branch only (probably in Timbuctoo!) and claiming the price has been reduced!

Another one is goods exclusive to the retailer with an artificially high "recommended retail price", and then reduced!

Going back to the tackle shop, if they're claiming a reduction when one doesn't exist then I reckon they're almost certainly be breaking the law.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Its based on their previous selling price Steve.

And what is RRP? Recommended retail price maybe, but who recommends it? SRR, suggested retail price, but who suggests it? MRP, manufacturers recommended retail price, so suggest a high price so retailers can show a discount!

I always laugh at ads where they offer 50% off.... and omit to advise what the 50% off refers to. Double glazing ads are renowned for that.

Either these people must think we are stupid... or we really are stupid.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

even sillier is 50% off on ebay ,do they deduct 50% off the final price :confused:

or i came across one where the chap said he'd chuck an old reel in free ,it doesent change the final bid :confused:

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

50% means that it was overpriced to start with.

I work for a double glazing company & the best ad I ever ran went thus:

********** Special Deal,

For ONE WEEK only, well, we might extend it, a very special, not to be repeated offer!!

We are going to double our prices, yes, double them!

Then we can give you 50% off!!!!!!!!!!

Or two for the price of one!!!!!!!!!!!

You pay for the front & we'll do the back for FREE!!!!!!!!

Or we can phone our manager up, several times, and you can be a showhome at 50% off, whoopeeeeee!!!!!!!!

It was the most successful retail ad that we ran, it really was. But it upset out trade customers big time so we had to stop it.

[ 30. January 2005, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

Dear ALL

I have to agree with you all.....these people think we are stupid.

Peter......Great ad campaign that. :)

What about things like 50% off all articles or stories......

"Once upon a time there was me, Fred, Bob and the rest of the gang. Early one morning we gathered in the gloom of an autumn dawn and commenced to put into practice our planned trip to a destination unknown, other than to carrot crunchers and tater pickers........"

When Stephen King wrote a six part series edition of 'The Green Mile' at least the readership got all six parts to the story....imagine him announcing that there was a 50% off that story and ended it at the 3rd part......outrageous.

Yours With Respect.....

Steve.

[ 30. January 2005, 03:27 PM: Message edited by: 'eelfisher' ]