River fishing and water levels

tiddlertamer

Why is it that a big flood on the Kennet would be 30cm of extra water, but on the Ribble it would be 5m of it?

Because we're all southern softies down here?.......or maybe Ken's explanaton is more accurate.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Why is it that a big flood on the Kennet would be 30cm of extra water, but on the Ribble it would be 5m of it?

Were used to spate rivers Brian, I suppose a lot of people who fish chalk rivers have never seen a river turn into a raging torrent in an hour or two. Even the streams round here seem to be spate, the one behind our house goes from a small trickling affair of several inches to 4 or 5ft of torrent in several hours of heavy rain.

Thing is a lot of spate rivers drop nearly as fast as they rise on occassion.

The Suffolk Stour was well down locally to SUDBURY last week.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Presumably because the Kennet is a chalk stream and levels are usually very stable on spring fed waters.

Just a guess, I've never seen the river.

Anyone know how the southern chalk streams apart from the Kennet are at the moment? Particularly the Hampshire Avon.

I had three days down there at the beginning of September and it was a bit of a grueler... :rolleyes:

I fancy getting back on there again soon but it would be pleasant to find ideal conditions for once...

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

Anyone know how the southern chalk streams apart from the Kennet are at the moment? Particularly the Hampshire Avon.

I had three days down there at the beginning of September and it was a bit of a grueler... :rolleyes:

I fancy getting back on there again soon but it would be pleasant to find ideal conditions for once...

The last significant rain was last month. Now the weed is dying back fast the levels are dropping and the Stour and Avon both have low flows. I was catching nice roach today on the upper Stour but it's not in good shape.

The Suffolk Stour was well down locally to SUDBURY last week.

Hi Watatoad

there is something odd about the stour at the moment.

If you look at the E.A. river levels website they show western mill near glemsford as below normal level and lamarsh below normal level but bures bridge as high. Then beyond at langham as low.

They must be messing about with flow and levels for something at bures and I suspect it has more to do with work for canoes than anglers.

regards

john

Think you are right there, canoes come first on the Stour...thinking of buying myself one... so I can really get fishing the river...hehehe

Are you still enjoying Norfolk?

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God