surprising news article

watatoad

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...-Jobcentre.html

I never expected to read anything like this

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

"The guy said: 'on first impressions do you think anyone would hire you?' He said: 'look at it this way if you were to stand behind a wall - or put a paper bag over your face do you think you would have a better chance?'

You have to admit the guy did have a point even if he lacked tact. It might be her choice of life style but she has to take onboard everything that comes with it. As someone who runs a small family garden centre I would not employ her because her looks would be very off putting to customers.

Sorry but that's the way the world is.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

You have to admit the guy did have a point even if he lacked tact. It might be her choice of life style but she has to take onboard everything that comes with it. As someone who runs a small family garden centre I would not employ her because her looks would be very off putting to customers.

Sorry but that's the way the world is.

Sadly I must agree and it must be considered a wake up call for those who want, desire, are making a statement or for whatever reason have tattoo's and or piercing.

People who are in business or those who have the power to employ, at least all the ones I know and I do know a lot of them, all agree with the man in question. One can go so far as to say this is even more the case if the person tattooed and or pierced has to meet the public during the normal course of their work.

I own a interior and landscape design consultancy, a relocation company and a personal and corporate image consultancy who work for private and corporate clients and I could not even consider employing a person with visible tattoo's or piercing other than a persons ears. Even ear piercing for men is a no go thing in the higher end of the market.

Just ask yourself one question how many CEO and directors do you ever see even on television who have visible tattoo's and or piercing. In business one cannot risk offending even one customer or client because word spreads and you may well loose a lot of business because of one earring on a man, or piercings or visible tattoo's and you simply cannot put your business at unnecessary risk.

So think of your future because in our international business world it will stop you progressing up the slippery ladder to success. It is considered by many to be a statement by people who choose to be at the bottom end of the working class.

I do not say I consider it that way but I have meet a great many who do.

Edited by watatoad

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

"He talked to me as though I was just going through a phase in my life, but this is my lifestyle choice, and this is who I am."

You made your bed then luvvy, now lie in it. You've made your statement of non-conformation and you're suprised that when you do wish to conform and get a job, you're rejected? :wallbash:

I would be outraged if she was Maori or a true blooded and practicing Celt or another ethnic culture in which tattoos are part of that culture, but I'm not sure that Blackburn is a hotspot for either of those cultures. I do however stand to be corrected. ;)

I don't have a problem with either tattoos or piercings myself, but as Rod has pointed out, it is the initial impression that it gives to some people and customers, no matter how misguided or stereotyped it may be. First impressions count. :yeah:

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

We are constantly told that we shouldn't judge by appearances, but we do. It's a fact of life. Some people will judge the lady in this article differently, and turn their nose up at a smartly dressed person in a suit. Unfortunately for her, in a work environment, those people will be in a tiny minority.

The Job Centre guy may possibly have been better off being a bit more tactful, but had it been me, I'd rather he told me straight. I'm always getting told I'm too blunt, but I just can't stand wasting time with diplomacy most of the time these days.

She could always choose my line of work. Not unusual for me to sit here in my pants, conversing with the world. Not many jobs you can do that in :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

We are constantly told that we shouldn't judge by appearances, but we do. It's a fact of life. Some people will judge the lady in this article differently, and turn their nose up at a smartly dressed person in a suit. Unfortunately for her, in a work environment, those people will be in a tiny minority.

The Job Centre guy may possibly have been better off being a bit more tactful, but had it been me, I'd rather he told me straight. I'm always getting told I'm too blunt, but I just can't stand wasting time with diplomacy most of the time these days.

She could always choose my line of work. Not unusual for me to sit here in my pants, conversing with the world. Not many jobs you can do that in :D

Ahhhh the luxury of being self employed and not in the public eye :lol: Must agree it can be magic :D

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Ahhhh the luxury of being self employed and not in the public eye :lol: Must agree it can be magic :D

Not self employed but I have very little contact with the public in my job. I think this is for the best. I don't mix well. Too blunt and opinionated. I do try diplomacy and tact, but I fail miserably or just confuse things.

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

Not unusual for me to sit here in my pants, conversing with the world. Not many jobs you can do that in :D

I'm sorry, but AN will never be the same again... {shudder}

:lol:

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

I don't mix well. Too blunt and opinionated. I do try diplomacy and tact, but I fail miserably or just confuse things.

Dad?

:D

I'm sorry, but AN will never be the same again... {shudder}

:lol:

Okay, I'll take 'em off, but only 'cos it's you :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE