Shooting

Manhattan63

..peeks head out of the course fishing section

Hey guys. I'm currently in the VERY early stages of looking into building a fishery on some land nearby, but after looking at one member's website (where he had shooting as an interest), I wondered how many of you guys shoot as well?

There's a pheasant syndicate on the farm where I have some units, plus all this talk of building lakes has got the "must have a duck shoot" banter going rather quickly.

Just curious really, if you shoot, what you shoot, where you shoot, how you shoot etc

..peeks head out of the course fishing section

Hey guys. I'm currently in the VERY early stages of looking into building a fishery on some land nearby, but after looking at one member's website (where he had shooting as an interest), I wondered how many of you guys shoot as well?

There's a pheasant syndicate on the farm where I have some units, plus all this talk of building lakes has got the "must have a duck shoot" banter going rather quickly.

Just curious really, if you shoot, what you shoot, where you shoot, how you shoot etc

Until becoming physically unable to get about easily enough to shoot (and significantly to keep a dog fit), I shot driven pheasants, walked up/rough shot, pheasants. Wildfowled, both foreshore and inland. Pigoens over decoys and roost shoots. Grey squirrel, crows, magpie. jay. Rabbits, although preferred lurchers and ferrets for taking them, but sometimes a gun was appropriate

With rifles, fox and deer. (and rabbits).

I refrained from shooting hares and woodcock.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

RE: The woodcock Emma, was it the WHOLE truth? Or could you actually have shot one? Only ONCE did I ever get the chance and then it was over!! More quickly than it took to type that sentence!

Once had to chase a hare a friend shot (He was VASTLY overweight! And mud up to the armpits) I was VERY young and headstrong and earned myself a collapsed lung for the privilege and effort. So I too stopped shooting hares too. Well that and I do admire the little buggers! And LOTS here in France as they seem (?) To leave them well alone too though not quite sure why as they shoot anything else after 2 pints of Calvados to increase there aim!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

RE: The woodcock Emma, was it the WHOLE truth? Or could you actually have shot one? Only ONCE did I ever get the chance and then it was over!! More quickly than it took to type that sentence!

Well, it is the internet, and I could just blag it, but yes I have shot lots of woodcock, and done the coveted 'left and right ' twice. I had a gun on a local, very 'self help' shoot, we put down our own pheasants and keepered the land.The bulk of the bags was however woodcock, the area was perfect for them, good tree cover with lots of very boggy areas. At first they frutrated me, then once I got the hang of unravelling the jinxing flight down they fell.

I stopped shooting them once they had become less of a challenge, and I felt guilty because there was a likelyhood that the relitively small amount of meat on my plate may have flown all the way across the north sea. apparently we have resident and migratory populations.

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Well you have MY admiration anyway Emma! Not ONLY for doing the near impossible! But having done it and proved it limiting yourself. That takes some doing anyway and then to STOP doing it just because you can? EXCELLENT! Personally? as I said I only have ever seen once and although at the time I probably would have shot it I didn't/couldn't! And now? I doubt I would anyway as they are such a wonderful little bird!

But I very rarely do ANY sort of anything nowadays even though I probably have more chance of hunting/fishing here than I have ever had in my short life! I mean only last week I saw a Clio written off by a Wild Boar! And the amount of Roe we have around here I could just about see one every day if I wished! And the fishing? Well that is another post!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

We always took a few woodcock, although I don't recall a left and right from any of my family. I've not been shooting for years now, but always enjoyed rough shooting and vermin shooting (rabbits, pigeons). I also clay pigeon shoot, but I've never been into high volume driven game shooting.

Edited by Lid