Split shot in bulk?

david t

Hello

I was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere that sold swan shot or other split shot in bulk, or in bigger packs than just 6 or 7 shot. Just seems abit expensive really, when you think of it, the price of a box of 7 or so SSGs at about £1.60, especially when you go through quite a few of them. Would be easier if you could just buy a bulk bag of 100 or so to last the season.

Anyone know of anywhere?

Cheers

Dave

How on earth do you get through 100 SSG's in a season ?

Don't you remove them from the line for re-use after a session ?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I get through a fair few of them too, link legering in the snaggy litle rivers. So I'm also interested in any replies!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I bought a load of Swan shot from 'our favourite internet auction site' last year. I too go through a fair few shot link legering so it appeared to make sense.

When the shot arrived it was clearly of a inferior quality to Dinsmores or similar, mishapen and hard, but as I only intended to use it for making link legers it served it's purpose.

Still got about 50-60 left after a seasons use and, if my memory serves me correctly, it only cost about £5 + P&P

JP

be very wary when buying shot of fleabay as theres a lot of lead shot sold without warnings that its illegal in the uk ,and i know of at least two people caught using the stuff ,they explaind it was new of fleabay buut was told ,ignorance is not a exuse

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Guest bbamboo

One thing I have used in the past is modelling clay or plastercine if you can still find it.

Not as heavy as shot but works ok if you get shuck it just pull off the link.

Really good to adjust the weight as you can add or pull a bit of when needed.

gary

One thing I have used in the past is modelling clay or plastercine if you can still find it.

Not as heavy as shot but works ok if you get shuck it just pull off the link.

Really good to adjust the weight as you can add or pull a bit of when needed.

gary

Yep I used to use plastercine a lot worming for salmon. Its great for rolling a bait down them snaggy rivers and as you say it's good for adjusting the weight as you go, but i don't find it great for holding station in the flow as it lacks the weight for it's size.

Good old lead is still legal in pieces over an ounce. So if you are making up link ledgers over an ounce, you could still use lead (roofing lead or window lead).

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

be very wary when buying shot of fleabay as theres a lot of lead shot sold without warnings that its illegal in the uk ,and i know of at least two people caught using the stuff ,they explaind it was new of fleabay buut was told ,ignorance is not a exuse

I really think it would be difficult to convict someone using lead shot. A lot of people wouldn't have a clue how you would tell it from substitute lead.

Guest bbamboo
I really think it would be difficult to convict someone using lead shot. A lot of people wouldn't have a clue how you would tell it from substitute lead.

I agree however if you have fished for a long time the size tell yer is massive compared to the old lead shot sizes.

Got a bit of a shock when I came back to coarse fishing after 20yrs :D

The BB looks like AAA

Gary

Edited by bbamboo