AnglersNet fish-in, Lower Itchen Fishery

Rusty

Thanks Chris. :thumbs:

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I'm all packed and ready. I even cleaned the maggot dust of the AN pin and gave it a squirt of GT85. I'm hoping bright yellow power pro won't scare the fish too much; if it does I have my Sheffield which is loaded with bright white fireline :)

The weather looks good and the river should be in good condition - are we sure this is the right day? :rolleyes:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

had our day down there today and the river is quite good but more coloured than you might think it would be after all the dry weather. Even so there were a lot of happy anglers. The strange thing is that around the small salmon hut it was corn that seemed to do the trick with the usual smaller grayling and the trout whilst maggots produced lots of salmon parr. It was a different story at the top end where 3 red maggots produced some very good fish. The very last swim produced a pb for me and another grayling of 1lb 13oz. The pb unfortunately will never have a known weight as it slipped to freedom before weighing but it was 3 or 4 inches longer than the smaller fish and a great deal thicker so probably a mid 2. All in all a good day with plenty of fish showing. Good luck to all going and i think you will have a good visit

I'm back. Sipping wine after a bit of a grueller! Weather for the LIF fish-in was fabulous, particualrly after two wet years, but probably a little bright in the morning. Grayling were difficult today although they started to come on in the afternoon as it clouded over.

I managed 14 grayling with a new pb of 2lb 9oz (previous best 1lb 12oz), umpteen trout best 2lb (ish), at least 10 salmon parr, two chub and a gudgeon. I lost two chub after almighty struggles for over 5 minutes - one was around 5lb, I didn't see the other. They kept there heads down and would not give in. My 15ft Greys Prodigy is fine for grayling but rubbish for these beasts. Just not enough backbone - mond you I pulled the hook out out so maybe not....

Heres the big grayling - it's a bit battle scarred - not caused by me I might add!

DSCF4001.jpg

Edited by arbocop

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

I'm back. Sipping wine after a bit of a grueller! Weather for the LIF fish-in was fabulous, particualrly after two wet years, but probably a little bright in the morning. Grayling were difficult today although they started to come on in the afternoon as it clouded over.

I managed 14 grayling with a new pb of 2lb 9oz (previous best 1lb 12oz), umpteen trout best 2lb (ish), at least 10 salmon parr, two chub and a gudgeon. I lost two chub after almighty struggles for over 5 minutes - one was around 5lb, I didn't see the other. They kept there heads down and would not give in. My 15ft Greys Prodigy is fine for grayling but rubbish for these beasts. Just not enough backbone - mond you I pulled the hook out out so maybe not....

Heres the big grayling - it's a bit battle scarred - not caused by me I might add!

DSCF4001.jpg

Well done you, cracking fish, wish I could have been there.

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

I'm just back too, but unlike Mike I'm sipping rather a nice single malt :)

The weather was fantastic and the river looked in decent condition, and I had a really nice day. It was great chatting to the ANers (always a good bunch) and I was very glad to hear of lots of good fish being caught. Chris and I spent our time on the lower section, first trotting maggots down from the mill pool and then quivertipping bread by the road bridge. The trotting was great fun, and we had a few chub and a couple of trout which gave us the run-around in the fast water. It sounds like quite a lot of chub were caught, some big ones too (I heard of at least one over 5lb).

We then did a bit more trotting on the bends above the road bridge and had another chub (quite a good one at about 4lbish which was very stubborn and put up a hell of a scrap) and a small grayling of about half a pound. Then the cloud cover came and we decided it was roach-o-clock.

Armed with the big guns, we put in some bread mash and fished flake over the top, in a deep, slow, steady bit of water that had a very roachy feel to it. Immediately there were some fast, inquisitive jabs on the tip, a couple of which were hittable and tuned into pristine roach of half a pound or so. I was so pleased, this was the first time EVER that I've actually caught a roach at any of the Itchen or Test fish-ins, and not for want of trying! The next one caught me by surprise though, another sharp jab that I managed to hit, and a clearly bigger fish jabbed away in the flow. Nervously (in case it was a big roach) I brought it in across the current, and then up through the deep water, and, oh dear, it was indeed a big roach. Doing my best to stay calm I walked it back to where the net was and, very relieved, scooped it up.

It's been so long since I've seen a decent roach that I really had no idea what it might weigh. I said to Chris, this is probably over a pound but smaller than I think! We popped it in a plastic bag and hung it on the scales, which settled at 1lb 11oz - my biggest roach ever caught by design, and one of my most pleasing captures ever. It just looked stunning!

DSCF1921.jpg

I thought we were in for a bonanza, but after that they got very spooky, and all the little jabs were unhittable. Very frustrating when you know there are quality roach in front of you! I was hoping Chris would have his turn, but sadly it wasn't to be this time.

So another great fish-in. Thanks again Rusty for organising it, it's one I won't forget in a while.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I'm just back too, but unlike Mike I'm sipping rather a nice single malt :)

The weather was fantastic and the river looked in decent condition, and I had a really nice day. It was great chatting to the ANers (always a good bunch) and I was very glad to hear of lots of good fish being caught. Chris and I spent our time on the lower section, first trotting maggots down from the mill pool and then quivertipping bread by the road bridge. The trotting was great fun, and we had a few chub and a couple of trout which gave us the run-around in the fast water. It sounds like quite a lot of chub were caught, some big ones too (I heard of at least one over 5lb).

We then did a bit more trotting on the bends above the road bridge and had another chub (quite a good one at about 4lbish which was very stubborn and put up a hell of a scrap) and a small grayling of about half a pound. Then the cloud cover came and we decided it was roach-o-clock.

Armed with the big guns, we put in some bread mash and fished flake over the top, in a deep, slow, steady bit of water that had a very roachy feel to it. Immediately there were some fast, inquisitive jabs on the tip, a couple of which were hittable and tuned into pristine roach of half a pound or so. I was so pleased, this was the first time EVER that I've actually caught a roach at any of the Itchen or Test fish-ins, and not for want of trying! The next one caught me by surprise though, another sharp jab that I managed to hit, and a clearly bigger fish jabbed away in the flow. Nervously (in case it was a big roach) I brought it in across the current, and then up through the deep water, and, oh dear, it was indeed a big roach. Doing my best to stay calm I walked it back to where the net was and, very relieved, scooped it up.

It's been so long since I've seen a decent roach that I really had no idea what it might weigh. I said to Chris, this is probably over a pound but smaller than I think! We popped it in a plastic bag and hung it on the scales, which settled at 1lb 11oz - by biggest roach ever caught by design, and one of my most pleasing captures ever. It just looked stunning!

DSCF1921.jpg

I thought we were in for a bonanza, but after that they got very spooky, and all the little jabs were unhittable. Very frustrating when you know there are quality roach in front of you! I was hoping Chris would have his turn, but sadly it wasn't to be this time.

So another great fish-in. Thanks again Rusty for organising it, it's one I won't forget in a while.

Cracking Roach Anderoo when we left you appeared hypnotised by your rod tip i now know why....

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Cracking Roach Anderoo when we left you appeared hypnotised by your rod tip i now know why....

Good fish indeed! I note your comment about the chub being real battlers. I will vouch for that - they fight much harder than Kennet chub. One of the ones I lost after around five mintues wouldn't even let me see the float - it just stayed deep and banged it's head.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Thats a roach i would be more than happy with. The grayling Arbocop showed with battle scars is I swear identical to the one I caught on friday! I would prefer mine was over 2lb though like that one. Best check my pic when I can upload it :P Yep its different! Think these are cormorant attack scars

post-18337-1300007210_thumb.jpg

post-18337-1300007272_thumb.jpg

Edited by weirwulf