AnglersNet fish-in, Lower Itchen Fishery

Rusty

Finally figured out how to get the photos from yesterday on to here , i was only allowed to put 5 on as otherwise it took me over 500k of upload size but these are the best fish , grayling 1lb 11oz and various chub to 5lb 5oz , im not sure which was the biggest but i think it was the last one.

Once again thankyou to rusty and also the man who gave me a lesson at casting on his browning revolver centre pin , he made it look ridiculously easy but when it was my turn i found it was not :rolleyes:

sorry i cant remember your name but it was nice to meet you and thanks again

post-17933-1300053060_thumb.jpg

post-17933-1300052845_thumb.jpg

post-17933-1300052630_thumb.jpg

post-17933-1300052389_thumb.jpg

post-17933-1300052295_thumb.jpg

Lookin at your catch tony you don't need to bother learning how to cast a centrepin just keep doin what your doin :thumbs::D

Edited by Tigger

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

he made it look ridiculously easy but when it was my turn i found it was not :rolleyes:

sorry i cant remember your name but it was nice to meet you and thanks again

That would've been Steve (Chavender). Do stick at it, it's one of those things that will suddenly 'click' and you'll wonder what all the fuss was about. Casting with a centrepin can seem a bit of a chore but the Wallis cast makes it an absolute pleasure.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Did you catch a glimpse of the busy water voles vagabond?

I did, a welcome sight - and sound come to mention it. I had forgotten how much noise they make while munching reeds.

I also spotted a raptor I wasn't familar with - I assume that was the marsh harrier vagabond mentioned. Typically, it was being mobbed by crows.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Some cracking fish there and congratulations on the roach Andrew, looks like a good time was had by all.

Sorry I couldn't make it in the end, been tied up with a new job and as it happened I had to work all day on Saturday so was gutted I missed it. Will definitely be up for next year though.

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

Lookin at your catch tony you don't need to bother learning how to cast a centrepin just keep doin what your doin :thumbs::D

I found that my 506 reel was brilliant most of the time but for some reason every now and then it would not let the line out freely and i had to help it out by pulling it by hand and couldnt trot the float at the speed i wanted .

I found it worse after id caught a fish so i just thought it was the line being bedded in but i still had the same problem at random times , i think that with these reels you need a shallower spool which ive now found in the garage allbeit a plastic one .

the deep spool i was using i only filled with about 50 yards of 4lb mono as i seem to remember my dad always doing this because he said about the line bedding in to deep after catching a fish , he also used to half fill his spools with cheap line and pour resin over it to fill the spool out so you only needed 50 or so yards of line to bring the line upto the top of the spool so it could flow out for casting or trotting.

so this could have been the reason i couldnt trott properly at times because the line was to low in the spool to flow out smoothly every time , i hope so anyway .

Does this sound about right or is there something else that ive missed ?

Cheers :)

Sorry for the late reply on this thread - I have been v busy for the past few days, sadly not fishing related.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure Arbocop's Grayling must be the largest Grayling caught at the LIF this season and possibly even in recent years! It seems now a 2lb fish from there is quite a rarity which puts Arbocop's fish in context.

The keeper told me of at least two 3lbers that he had seen landed - one on the bottom stretch below the weir. However, I'll claim it as the best this season if you want!

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

I found that my 506 reel was brilliant most of the time but for some reason every now and then it would not let the line out freely and i had to help it out by pulling it by hand and couldnt trot the float at the speed i wanted .

I found it worse after id caught a fish so i just thought it was the line being bedded in but i still had the same problem at random times , i think that with these reels you need a shallower spool which ive now found in the garage allbeit a plastic one .

the deep spool i was using i only filled with about 50 yards of 4lb mono as i seem to remember my dad always doing this because he said about the line bedding in to deep after catching a fish , he also used to half fill his spools with cheap line and pour resin over it to fill the spool out so you only needed 50 or so yards of line to bring the line upto the top of the spool so it could flow out for casting or trotting.

so this could have been the reason i couldnt trott properly at times because the line was to low in the spool to flow out smoothly every time , i hope so anyway .

Yeah tony that sounds about right. I don't think i'd use resin though. I'd just back the spool with tape or make a cork backing. The shallow plastic spools may well be ok without backing. To be totally honest though you would be better off with a centrepin I think you'll find the pin much better once you master using it and you will, it's like anything else, practice makes perfect :)

Yeah tony that sounds about right. I don't think i'd use resin though. I'd just back the spool with tape or make a cork backing. The shallow plastic spools may well be ok without backing. To be totally honest though you would be better off with a centrepin I think you'll find the pin much better once you master using it and you will, it's like anything else, practice makes perfect :)

I might well get one for next years itchen and also might be fun using for the crucian and tench in the summer evenings at my local lake :)

the plastic shallow spools are best for light lines ,put no more than 70m on them ,some people only put 50m on ,but if ever get a nasty tangle or need too strip any line off for any reason then you'll be caught short ,best too stick a little extra on for safty .

there is a few reasons for poor line release when trotting ,one is poorly filled deep spools (as you sumised) line twist ,but the bigest is poor alignment of spool within the winding cup creating some astute angles the line has to flow through from leaving the spool too escaping the cowling apature

abuCFlinerelease.jpg

if

the spool is near or at the top of its travel ,the spool is up inside the winding cup .and has too bend over the lip of the spool then exit the spool at a obtuse angle ,then bend around the lip of the winding cup causing friction and

excessive rubbing causing jerky flow of line out of the reel.

a under filled spool won't help here ,and if the flow isn't sufficiant this will multiply the effect .

there is how ever a fix ,well a fix that only

really works on the abu 500 series that are back wind only ,you see the abu 500

series has a oscillation ratio of 1:1 (one rotation of the handle = one cycle

[up ,then down] of the spool cradle {the bit the spool locks into} returning too

the same spot every time)

the fix is too synchronize the handle position

too spool position of bottom dead centre ,leaving the handle pointing downwards

when the spool is at its lowest point of travel .

remove the

cowling

whilst holding the handle steady twist the winding cup (clockwise)

away from you to release it

twist the spool anti-clockwise to unlock it ,and

remove

turn the handle until the spool carrage is at its lowest point ,then

grip and hold it there with your other hand.

(at this point your handle will

most likley be at a odd angle )

start the dissasemble the handle's fittings

(506 its a knobb ,501 a nut and etc) only to the point the handle is loose

reposition it pointing directly down (natural position to begin winding from)

.re assemble the fittings

refit spool ,winding cup and cowling

CFdiagram.jpg

now

whenever the handle is pointing down (leave in this position after casting) the

spool will be fully exposed from the winding cup with less severe angles for the

line too travel through .giving a improved free flow of line when

trotting.

this fix doesn't work (or not so well) with other models that

came later as the oscillation ratio wasn't 1:1 any more ,so synchronizing isn't

really possible as the handle never quite reurns too the same place at the end

of each turn ,but you should still get good results on the other models

(1044,507 goldmax ,704 ,706 ? must check this one )

i set up all my 500

series without backwind and syncronized like this .for faultless trotting

i hope this helps

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve