AnglersNet fish-in, Lower Itchen Fishery

Rusty

I don't know if a short hooklength would help as I haven't tried it, but whenever I've been legering at the Test (for roach - never did get one!) and caught grayling, deep hooking was a regular issue.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know if a short hooklength would help as I haven't tried it, but whenever I've been legering at the Test (for roach - never did get one!) and caught grayling, deep hooking was a regular issue.

Ah i see well the river is going to be in suprb nick[he says wishfull thinking] this time so we will all be on trotting tactics untill dusk when everyone grabs there quiver rod and bread in search of a chance large Roach .

Out of interest i presume that you had the Grayling with maggot on the test?? Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Rusty i told you that photo of budgies tactical parking would come in handy ;):lol: ,Using that foul smelling red paste i showed you at the moment after Chub but they aint playing ball as yet Steve.

At 8:17pm? How long are you going to give it?

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

At 8:17pm? How long are you going to give it?

Another 15 minutes i reckon but not as bravee as it sounds mate,sat on the front of the narrow boat at the mo and every 20 mins or so pop in for a warm by the fire and its gotta be a zillion degrees C in there ............toasty warm .

still no pigging chub though steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Another 15 minutes i reckon but not as bravee as it sounds mate,sat on the front of the narrow boat at the mo and every 20 mins or so pop in for a warm by the fire and its gotta be a zillion degrees C in there ............toasty warm .

still no pigging chub though steve.

Ah I see, I’d forgotten about the boat. I had visions of you battling through undergrowth in the dark, blackberry in hand, to that almost inaccessible dead cert chub swim for a freezing evening session.

Instead you’re lazing around at the pointy end, merlot in hand popping back into the warmth for a top up whenever it gets a bit chilly.

For a brief moment I was quite impressed.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I to have had problems with deep hooked grayling when feeder fishing.Like I said Andrew has had some good catchs at LIF on the feeder but dont remember him mentioning any problems (?) if he sees this and I am right maybe he can shed some light on it.Same as Anderoo Ive only had them on the feeder at Timsbury whilst after roach.

Oh BTW I went up the track first just in case it was boggy and anyone got stuck.................well thats my story and Im sticking to it! :rolleyes:

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Ah I see, I’d forgotten about the boat. I had visions of you battling through undergrowth in the dark, blackberry in hand, to that almost inaccessible dead cert chub swim for a freezing evening session.

Instead you’re lazing around at the pointy end, merlot in hand popping back into the warmth for a top up whenever it gets a bit chilly.

For a brief moment I was quite impressed.

Yep busted i am afraid didnt have a wine till i finished fishing though ,have to say to stick it for more than a couple of hours when it`s chilly at night takes some dedication and yes i blanked .

Yep busted i am afraid didnt have a wine till i finished fishing though ,have to say to stick it for more than a couple of hours when it`s chilly at night takes some dedication and yes i blanked .

I don't know if this is helpful Steve, but it's become very clear to us that - on our bit of the Thames at least - we just don't catch the chub after dark. The odd one here and there perhaps, but they are definitely in the minority. Even dusk isn't especially good. We were quite surprised, because on another river close by, the first few hours of dark can be fantastic. But these Thames chub seem to prefer daylight, so as soon as the sun goes down, we go home.

I haven't tried it, but I suspect that if you fish on well into the night (say, up to midnight) you might find there is a feeding spell in the middle of the night, but I don't want one that badly!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I don't know if this is helpful Steve, but it's become very clear to us that - on our bit of the Thames at least - we just don't catch the chub after dark. The odd one here and there perhaps, but they are definitely in the minority. Even dusk isn't especially good. We were quite surprised, because on another river close by, the first few hours of dark can be fantastic. But these Thames chub seem to prefer daylight, so as soon as the sun goes down, we go home.

I haven't tried it, but I suspect that if you fish on well into the night (say, up to midnight) you might find there is a feeding spell in the middle of the night, but I don't want one that badly!

TBH i fished till well gone 11 and nowt ,It was on the Kennett though and i normally get at least one fishing there after dark .

There is a line of overhanging trees on a local bit of the Thames that is a known Chub spot but its a long Chuck bank fishing as she is very wide at that point so next time i take the portabote out instead of struggling for preds in the cold seriously thinking of a shed load of paste drop it into a few chubby spots in the tree line and then fish them in rotation from the boat using paste touch ledgery styleee and spend the time waiting for a bite picking up all the snagged feeders from the long chuck off the bank guys getting it wrong................

Quite excited about it now and i didn`t think i would say that about Chub Steve.

TBH i fished till well gone 11 and nowt ,It was on the Kennett though and i normally get at least one fishing there after dark .

There is a line of overhanging trees on a local bit of the Thames that is a known Chub spot but its a long Chuck bank fishing as she is very wide at that point so next time i take the portabote out instead of struggling for preds in the cold seriously thinking of a shed load of paste drop it into a few chubby spots in the tree line and then fish them in rotation from the boat using paste touch ledgery styleee and spend the time waiting for a bite picking up all the snagged feeders from the long chuck off the bank guys getting it wrong................

Quite excited about it now and i didn`t think i would say that about Chub Steve.

Oh sorry Steve, I thought you were on the Thames! Send me a PM if you want any of my meagre Thames chub info...