AnglersNet fish-in, Lower Itchen Fishery

Rusty

Oh sorry Steve, I thought you were on the Thames! Send me a PM if you want any of my meagre Thames chub info...

no worries you have a PM Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting to hear about your Thames Chub not feeding after dark Anderoo. On the stretch of the Thames I've fished a bit (further down from you - near Reading) the Chub are all too happy to feed after dark. In fact it's very hard to catch them during the day but as soon as the sun goes down the activity heightens and you catch plenty - I should mention that this has been my experience when barbel fishing with pellets, I haven't targeted them specifically yet. Perhaps this is because the stretch of the Thames you fish has less boat traffic and hence the fish are less wary of feeding during the day? N

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan

Fundamentally fishing is a philosophy. A philosophy of earth, and growth, and quiet places. In it there is a rule of life, a recognition of permanences. It makes you notice the little things of nature, wherever you may be. ~Bernard Venables

Interesting to hear about your Thames Chub not feeding after dark Anderoo. On the stretch of the Thames I've fished a bit (further down from you - near Reading) the Chub are all too happy to feed after dark. In fact it's very hard to catch them during the day but as soon as the sun goes down the activity heightens and you catch plenty - I should mention that this has been my experience when barbel fishing with pellets, I haven't targeted them specifically yet. Perhaps this is because the stretch of the Thames you fish has less boat traffic and hence the fish are less wary of feeding during the day? N

That's interesting, thanks Nicholas. We really expected to do well after dark (like at other local rivers) but so far it just hasn't happened. Perhaps this will change with the cold weather and clear water we now have? I should know about that after this weekend.

As to why, I really don't know. The river is fairly narrow here with plenty of boat traffic, so I don't think that's it. If I had to guess, I would say that the river is different enough here than where you are and so the fish simply behave differently; or there's something about your barbel baits/baiting that works after dark that our chub bait/baiting doesn't.

Of about 15 chub Chris and I have had between us now so far, all have come in daylight, despite us fishing on after dark on every session. Strange eh?

I have a feeling dawn may be a good time, I still need to try that and see what happens.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

The cheque will be on it's way on monday.

Excellent back on topic at last (I’ll delete my contribution to the diversion). To summarise;

Expect Budgie’s vehicle to be parked at the entrance on arrival, do not park in front of it unless you have a bigger vehicle and/or bigger brothers. Swim feeders are ok if your name is Andrew Burgess (see ‘brothers’ comment), otherwise you’ll be branded a bounder of the lowest order and most importantly you will not be offered a sausage roll if you’re passing when I’m cooking. The feeder police will track you down as we did the poor soul on the far right of this picture. He thought he could fool us but our crack team of operatives immediately noticed the unusual trotting stance;

IMG_3887.jpg

Fixed spool reels are permissible....at a pinch.

Edited by Rusty

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Excellent back on topic at last (I’ll delete my contribution to the diversion). To summarise;

Expect Budgie’s vehicle to be parked at the entrance on arrival, do not park in front of it unless you have a bigger vehicle and/or bigger brothers. Swim feeders are ok if your name is Andrew Burgess (see ‘brothers’ comment), otherwise you’ll be branded a bounder of the lowest order and most importantly you will not be offered a sausage roll if you’re passing when I’m cooking. The feeder police will track you down as we did the poor soul on the far right of this picture. He thought he could fool us but our crack team of operatives immediately noticed the unusual trotting stance;

IMG_3887.jpg

Fixed spool reels are permissible....at a pinch.

Ouch that hurt !!v but i did catch a Grayling mate :1a: even if it was on the feeder :rolleyes: ,Didn'T get struck by lightning even after setting up a deadbait rod in the chocolate conditions ,crap conditions great day good company....... excellent hot dogs..... B)

Ps been to the pub for a free p%^$ up paid for by the owner so my recall of the day may be due to rose tinted glasses steve.

PPs don`t park in front of the tinted window range Rover,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

I to have had problems with deep hooked grayling when feeder fishing.Like I said Andrew has had some good catchs at LIF on the feeder but dont remember him mentioning any problems (?) if he sees this and I am right maybe he can shed some light on it.Same as Anderoo Ive only had them on the feeder at Timsbury whilst after roach.

Oh BTW I went up the track first just in case it was boggy and anyone got stuck.................well thats my story and Im sticking to it! :rolleyes:

Sorry chaps - I been quite poorly so far with a heavy flu at the moment I can't be bothered to look at the emails. When I get a better chance sometime in the next few days than a few minutes I will reply to the feeder tactics with some things I been looking at!

Oh by the way I am not saying anything about the black range rover! ;):P:lol: It not mine!

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

Sorry to interrupt the all round jolliness of new thread creation with this bump but I was a expecting a couple of cheques today, nothing arrived. Would the perpetrators of false hope please do the necessary….one way or the other.

The current position is still;

Me (confirmed)

Nicholas S (confirmed)

Jedibond (not confirmed)

Steve Walker (confirmed)

JV44 (confirmed)

Dales/Smiffles (both confirmed)

Andrew/Budgie Burgess (both confirmed)

Chavender (confirmed)

Simon Fell (confirmed)

Tincatinca (confirmed)

Anderoo (confirmed)