AnglersNet fish-in, Lower Itchen Fishery

Rusty

I was thinking my PIN for float fishing in the summer for Tench in the margins. Hopefully the experience should improve my casting a little and I bet a decent sized Tench would be great fun on a PIN.

Edited by Dales

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the plastic shallow spools are best for light lines ,put no more than 70m on them ,some people only put 50m on ,but if ever get a nasty tangle or need too strip any line off for any reason then you'll be caught short ,best too stick a little extra on for safty .

there is a few reasons for poor line release when trotting ,one is poorly filled deep spools (as you sumised) line twist ,but the bigest is poor alignment of spool within the winding cup creating some astute angles the line has to flow through from leaving the spool too escaping the cowling apature

abuCFlinerelease.jpg

if

the spool is near or at the top of its travel ,the spool is up inside the winding cup .and has too bend over the lip of the spool then exit the spool at a obtuse angle ,then bend around the lip of the winding cup causing friction and

excessive rubbing causing jerky flow of line out of the reel.

a under filled spool won't help here ,and if the flow isn't sufficiant this will multiply the effect .

there is how ever a fix ,well a fix that only

really works on the abu 500 series that are back wind only ,you see the abu 500

series has a oscillation ratio of 1:1 (one rotation of the handle = one cycle

[up ,then down] of the spool cradle {the bit the spool locks into} returning too

the same spot every time)

the fix is too synchronize the handle position

too spool position of bottom dead centre ,leaving the handle pointing downwards

when the spool is at its lowest point of travel .

remove the

cowling

whilst holding the handle steady twist the winding cup (clockwise)

away from you to release it

twist the spool anti-clockwise to unlock it ,and

remove

turn the handle until the spool carrage is at its lowest point ,then

grip and hold it there with your other hand.

(at this point your handle will

most likley be at a odd angle )

start the dissasemble the handle's fittings

(506 its a knobb ,501 a nut and etc) only to the point the handle is loose

reposition it pointing directly down (natural position to begin winding from)

.re assemble the fittings

refit spool ,winding cup and cowling

CFdiagram.jpg

now

whenever the handle is pointing down (leave in this position after casting) the

spool will be fully exposed from the winding cup with less severe angles for the

line too travel through .giving a improved free flow of line when

trotting.

this fix doesn't work (or not so well) with other models that

came later as the oscillation ratio wasn't 1:1 any more ,so synchronizing isn't

really possible as the handle never quite reurns too the same place at the end

of each turn ,but you should still get good results on the other models

(1044,507 goldmax ,704 ,706 ? must check this one )

i set up all my 500

series without backwind and syncronized like this .for faultless trotting

i hope this helps

Thanks again chavender i think you tried to explain this to me at the itchen but i didnt follow what you were saying , i was to eager to just catch fish :rolleyes: .

This really makes sense now and i will be setting them up properly and using the shallow spool as well.

Also again thankyou for the lesson on your browning revolver , it was a real eyeopener and not as easy as you made it look , im gonna get a pin for next years itchen probably spend around 50 or 60 pounds