Carp in distress?

Fours

i have caught fish with no lips, missing eyes, damaged or missing fins of several species all on 2 waters one of which i would never set foot on again after telling the bailiff about someone in a swim across from me telling other anglers where they could and couldn't fish due to him having 3 rods out and when he did hook a fish it was winched out on 20lb line, then left to flap about on the concrete peg while he tried to unhook it and the attitude was "he has paid his money"

waters that attract these sorts of anglers are usually best avoided i would go for quality over quantity some of the better managed waters might require a bit more patience as they arent over stocked but the catches are more rewarding.

plus i would rather go down to my local club lake and stand the chance of a 2lb roach than sit around a mud hole catching endless carp

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have caught fish with no lips, missing eyes, damaged or missing fins of several species all on 2 waters one of which i would never set foot on again after telling the bailiff about someone in a swim across from me telling other anglers where they could and couldn't fish due to him having 3 rods out and when he did hook a fish it was winched out on 20lb line, then left to flap about on the concrete peg while he tried to unhook it and the attitude was "he has paid his money"

waters that attract these sorts of anglers are usually best avoided i would go for quality over quantity some of the better managed waters might require a bit more patience as they arent over stocked but the catches are more rewarding.

plus i would rather go down to my local club lake and stand the chance of a 2lb roach than sit around a mud hole catching endless carp

Mike,

I couldn't agree more.

I wanted to cut my teeth in terms of instant success on a 'guaranteed' water, and in retrospect I regret doing so.

I have fished for most species in my time, and have always enjoyed anything but commercial lakes.

I also encountered a similar attitude to the one you mentioned by 'fellow anglers' on this water.

On another topic I started (crucian Carp), I mentioned that the water I fished was very hard going, but the rewards were well worth the effort and patience I was prepared to put in.

I suppose it just compounded my view of this kind of venue, and I won't make the same mistake again!

Unfortunately, many will without realising it is a mistake anyway!

Thanks for your views.I am chastised!

In life we all have an unspeakable secret, an irreversible regret, an unreachable dream and an unforgettable love.

Wasn't dents was it???

To be fair a lot of the waters in the know do tend to insist on micro barbed hooks as these do not move around in the mouth as much so do not cause as much of a hole. Saying that i think personnally i would either have a day ticket which is barbless only or a syndicate (extremely exclusive) that is micro barbed only. I wouldn't want inexperienced anglers using barded hooks with substandard gear it isn't fair on the fish.

Some of the rigs that i have pulled out of commercials are criminal, hooks like anchors with fixed 3oz leads trailing 4 foot of bloody leadcore, carp in commercials are not hard fish to catch i really dont see the need for all that mess on your line.

Unfortunately commercials tend to treat the fish more like a commodity than living things. The little club water i fish near kings lynn has a micro barbed preferance and although some of the fish have got damage on them they are no where near as bad as other lakes i have fished

Wasn't dents was it???

To be fair a lot of the waters in the know do tend to insist on micro barbed hooks as these do not move around in the mouth as much so do not cause as much of a hole. Saying that i think personnally i would either have a day ticket which is barbless only or a syndicate (extremely exclusive) that is micro barbed only. I wouldn't want inexperienced anglers using barded hooks with substandard gear it isn't fair on the fish.

Some of the rigs that i have pulled out of commercials are criminal, hooks like anchors with fixed 3oz leads trailing 4 foot of bloody leadcore, carp in commercials are not hard fish to catch i really dont see the need for all that mess on your line.

Unfortunately commercials tend to treat the fish more like a commodity than living things. The little club water i fish near kings lynn has a micro barbed preferance and although some of the fish have got damage on them they are no where near as bad as other lakes i have fished

No, not Dents.

It is barbless only.

Not a million miles me then, your club water.

Edited by Fours

In life we all have an unspeakable secret, an irreversible regret, an unreachable dream and an unforgettable love.

No, carp are cold blooded and have a completely different nervous system to you and me.

It took your bait, would you be munching a bacon sandwich if your mouth was messed up?

Barbless hooks whilst being very easy to remove and appearing to be better for the fish can cause more damage than barbed hooks in some situations.

I'm an avid barbless hook user so if using them is counter productive in some situations, what situations should I use them in and when should I not use them?

I'm an avid barbless hook user so if using them is counter productive in some situations, what situations should I use them in and when should I not use them?

I would only use them on water where the rules say I must.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

You will find this on waters that ban barbed hooks, and on waters that ban barbless hooks. In fact, you will also find that places where the fish are in a sorry state often have lists of banned things as long as your arm, which don't seem to make the fish any better off - although probably the owners.

Mouth damage like this is caused by inexperienced anglers repeatedly catching fish too big for them to deal with.

A secondary factor is the use of overly strong tackle.

On waters where the fish are not caught every day of their lives, and where people know what they're doing, this just doesn't happen, whether the anglers there use barbed hooks or barbless hooks.

This is the great irony of modern fishing. In an era so obsessed with 'carp care', the majority of the fish themselves are living absolutely pitiful lives. It's what happens when there's money to be made and when people's first fish is a double figure carp.

PS just because a fish continues to eat doesn't mean it's not in pain/distress. It has to eat or it will die. With not enough natural food to support the fish population, it has to eat bait. So it continues to be caught, etc. etc. etc.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

PS just because a fish continues to eat doesn't mean it's not in pain/distress. It has to eat or it will die. With not enough natural food to support the fish population, it has to eat bait. So it continues to be caught, etc. etc. etc.

There is, to date, no credible research or proof that fish can feel pain.

Fish can survive for long periods of time (weeks if necessary) without eating anything, unlike warm blooded creatures such as birds which must consume enough appropriate food every day, or die.

Yes I know Ayjay. The opposite is also true though.

A few months ago our cat had to have 2 teeth taken out because the roots had become infected. She only eats dry food, which needs a lot of crunching. The vet said that she'd have been in a considerable amount of pain with it all, but her behaviour didn't change - she still ate well, slept well, played normally. But she had to continue to eat, pain or no pain.

Sorry to get on my high horse, but the disgraceful treatment of fish in overstocked fishing lakes is the one thing that really does get to me.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music