Carp in distress?

Fours

I actually ban barbed hooks on one of my lakes. For the reason this is what I normally post on the subject of barbed v barbless:

To avoid confusion I think you will find that Steve meant to say its actually BARBLESS hooks that he has banned.

More importantly though I find it a bit disturbing that several relatively novice anglers (by their own admission) have such strong anti barbed hook views. These have obviously either been formed by reading/hearing other supposedly better informed peoples views as actual experience will have shown different or by simply misinterpreting their limited experiences.It concerns me as barbless hooks can also cause problems and Im sure everyone would want to avoid this..

There are very few items of tackle/methods that actually damage/harm fish. More accurately it is the way they are used by anglers that causes the problem.As its such a large subject I will limit my reply to just hooks in fact namely the barbed v barbless issue.

I use both barbed and barbless in a wide variety of styles/patterns and sizes.All are selected for the specific job NONE used correctly (and correctly selected) cause undue damage or harm.

I will leave it at that but if anyone wants to raise any specific points or situations I will gladly elaborate.Just dont want to bore people with a massive post.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To avoid confusion I think you will find that Steve meant to say its actually BARBLESS hooks that he has banned.

More importantly though I find it a bit disturbing that several relatively novice anglers (by their own admission) have such strong anti barbed hook views. These have obviously either been formed by reading/hearing other supposedly better informed peoples views as actual experience will have shown different or by simply misinterpreting their limited experiences.It concerns me as barbless hooks can also cause problems and Im sure everyone would want to avoid this..

There are very few items of tackle/methods that actually damage/harm fish. More accurately it is the way they are used by anglers that causes the problem.As its such a large subject I will limit my reply to just hooks in fact namely the barbed v barbless issue.

I use both barbed and barbless in a wide variety of styles/patterns and sizes.All are selected for the specific job NONE used correctly (and correctly selected) cause undue damage or harm.

I will leave it at that but if anyone wants to raise any specific points or situations I will gladly elaborate.Just dont want to bore people with a massive post.

Whoops! Yes, I do ban barbless hooks.

Thanks, Budgie. I'll correct the original post.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

to be honest before becoming a member on here i always thought that barbless hooks where better for the welfare of fish due to 90% of the waters i fish insisting the be used, i cant remember the last time i bought barbed hooks for coarse fishing due to this,

i think most people believe barbless are better for the fish because of the rules of most fisheries so thats the only hooks they keep in there tackle,

the passing on of knowledge is one of the best things about this forum, it has really helped me out in the past and i am grateful to all who have shared what they know, hopefully some of people starting out will read this and think twice about using too heavy gear and how playing a fish properly using the right tackle puts a lot less strain on the fishes mouth and the angler plus is more fun than just hoisting them out, and the pros and cons of each hook type

mike

Since Steve B posted about barbless hooks being bad news for perch I have only ever used barbed. I was quite relieved actually, barbless hooks and lively lobs were always a pain! This is a great example of the best solution being counter-intuitive, something only experience can tell you, and we are lucky on AN that there is a huge amount of experience.

I think Budgie's post sums it up perfectly.

Personally, most of my fishing is with barbed hooks (micro-barbed where possible). Used and removed properly, these do not cause damage. The only time I routinely use barbless is when quivertipping big baits for winter chub, as I have had too many experiences of chub hooked well back in the mouth/near the throat even with a very sensitive set-up. No problem at all with barbless hooks, forceps/disgorger in and slip the hook out, much more of a faff with barbed.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

to be honest before becoming a member on here i always thought that barbless hooks where better for the welfare of fish due to 90% of the waters i fish insisting the be used, i cant remember the last time i bought barbed hooks for coarse fishing due to this,

i think most people believe barbless are better for the fish because of the rules of most fisheries so thats the only hooks they keep in there tackle,

the passing on of knowledge is one of the best things about this forum, it has really helped me out in the past and i am grateful to all who have shared what they know, hopefully some of people starting out will read this and think twice about using too heavy gear and how playing a fish properly using the right tackle puts a lot less strain on the fishes mouth and the angler plus is more fun than just hoisting them out, and the pros and cons of each hook type

mike

I have to second this, and at face value i would have believed that barbless hooks would cause less damage however after reading all this now i know better

mike

Often it may look as though Im (or others correcting some one or putting over a view contrary to common belief) being argumentative or a "know it all" when replying to such threads as this but I assure you it is meant in the best possible way.

Most things I have learned in 45 years of angling have been the hard way! and sadly that's often meant hard for the fish. Through things like Anglers Net people can learn a lot easier and avoid the damage/harm to fish.

It is of course hard to know what information is good and whats not! I always listen to what people tell me in areas I have no/little experience with and then see how this advice actually works out on the bank.If there is something that still doesn't ring true or work out then I question it in case Ive got it wrong.No good either ignoring others advice or blindly following it!

I might have learned a lot over the years but there still isn't many days that I dont learn something new from the varied experiences of members on here!

Some years ago, there was a school of thought which suggested that barbless hooks in large sizes cause more mouth damage than barbed on large carp.

This is a bit contentious. I think - based upon what I've seen, that most mouth damage is caused by people not knowing how best to play and handle the fish they've caught. It's an inevitable consequence of people aiming to catch large carp withouth having learned the basics properly.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Regarding carp and commercials (and a lot of big carp waters) and having watched many "younger" anglers unhooking their fish, I would say that without any doubt, most mouth damage is caused when unhooking the fish. I have lost count of the times I have had to explain the mechanics of pushing the hook away from the barb so it slips out without catching up and doing damage.

Same applies to all other fish as well. When was the last time any of you read about "How to unhook a fish"? most just seem to reach for the forceps or pliers.

Commercial/match waters have learnt the lesson and that is why almost all of them ban barbed hooks.

Having said that, I do use barbed hooks most of the time.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I would say that without any doubt, most mouth damage is caused when unhooking the fish. I have lost count of the times I have had to explain the mechanics of pushing the hook away from the barb so it slips out without catching up and doing damage.

Same applies to all other fish as well. When was the last time any of you read about "How to unhook a fish"? most just seem to reach for the forceps or pliers.

Most definately Den. It seems automatic for people to reach for the forceps and use force rather than "wiggle"/ease the hook out. Not just carp waters or young anglers either Im afraid.Ive seen unnaceptable mouth damage (most certainly due to poor unhooking) on waters you would not expect to see it.....

Why is this though? Dont think I can really blame this one on my "instant carper" thing as I see it from supposedly experienced non carp anglers. Is it because we are more aware of such things these days or more of us are catching larger fish on larger hooks?

I don't know Budgie, it is just that I was taught how to do it when catching almost my first fish. I also really do think that for quite a few years now, men in particular, seem to lack any basic mechanical skills and understanding. Whizz kids on a computer, but give them a hammer and they wouldn't know which end to hit with (even if they understood what a hammer was :) )

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic