Computer Problem--WMP11

I cannot locate this file anywhere in my system. Please also note error correction.

C:\DOCUME~1\User\LOCALS~1\Temp\e4e7_appcompat.txt

I have tried to use the search icon on the start menu to find the file without success.

No results for this file.

Do you think my system is corrupted?

HAve you tried to uninstall and reinstall wmp?

Go to add/remove programmes

Select windows components and remove wmp

then go to windows update or microsoft update and reinstall etc

HAve you tried to uninstall and reinstall wmp?

Go to add/remove programmes

Select windows components and remove wmp

then go to windows update or microsoft update and reinstall etc

Thanks for continuing with your help. :) :) :)

Deleting and re-installing was some of the earliest advice I was given and I have done this 5 times at different tmes of the day. Even when rolled back as far as WMP9 the issue is exactly the same as WMP11.

I still cannot get past the fact that WMP11 will play one track after a reboot evertime and then fail on all subsequent music files.

If I use add and remove programmes to try to remove WMP11 again are there further files that I would need to look for and delete? I had only used Add and Remove only, not bothering to search for others. Perhaps there is a file not only affecting performance but causing issues with re-installation.

Maybe I should just reformat and start again from scratch??

Thanks for continuing with your help. :) :) :)

Deleting and re-installing was some of the earliest advice I was given and I have done this 5 times at different tmes of the day. Even when rolled back as far as WMP9 the issue is exactly the same as WMP11.

I still cannot get past the fact that WMP11 will play one track after a reboot evertime and then fail on all subsequent music files.

If I use add and remove programmes to try to remove WMP11 again are there further files that I would need to look for and delete? I had only used Add and Remove only, not bothering to search for others. Perhaps there is a file not only affecting performance but causing issues with re-installation.

Maybe I should just reformat and start again from scratch??

I would look for the wmp file in windows and delete it. But this is beginning to sound like a reg key problem or a conflict, when it fails does it give you an error code at all and if it does can you copy and paste it

Bit of light reading for you which may help you isolate the problem

Windows Media Player 11 Questions

Windows Media Player 11 (build 11.0.5721.5145 for Windows XP SP2, 11.0.6002.18005 for Vista SP2) is available now. A handful of fixes for it are available here, and a new plug-in for Firefox here. I highly recommend Vista users at least install Vista Service Pack 1, which has numerous multimedia improvements.

My notes so far:

* Best Tip: If you have "mmswitch.ax" or "neroburnplugin.dll" on your system, you should remove those - those don't work with WMP. If you have "ffdshow.ax", "nvappfilter.dll" (nVidia Network Access Manager), "mpegsplitter.ax", "divxdec.ax", "xvidcore.dll", "igdumd32.dll", "sockspy.dll" (BitDefender Anti-Virus) on your system, you should make sure you have the latest versions of those, as earlier versions may causes crashes. These files alone account for almost half the problems encountered with WMP-Vista. Avoid codec packs. These install old versions of these files and cause your machine to crash. Not good. If you have "mmswitch.ax", remove or delete it, it's just bad.

* SatelliteTVforPC 2006 randomly installs their own version of wmp.dll. This will cause you to crash - or WMP simply won't start at all. Since they've corrupted WMP, uninstalling them won't even fix it.

To fix this for Windows Vista: follow the steps in this article.

To fix this for Windows XP: reinstall the player.

SatelliteTVforPC 2007 does not do this anymore, but that doesn't really help you if you had installed SatelliteTVforPC 2006, sorry. =\

* Vista-only: If you have an Intel 945/946/965 express chipset, get their updated drivers - that should fix up some potential crashes and video glitchings. If you have igdumd32.dll on your system, please look for those drivers, which came out April 2007.

* Vista-only: If your sound card is crackling or having audio glitching (especially towards the end of tracks!), right-click on the Speaker icon in the system tray, select Playback Devices, right-click Speakers in that new dialog, go to Properties, then go to Enhancements - choose "Disable All Enhancements" and you should be fixed up. If this does fix you up, check with your sound card vendor - they should not be having this problem. I believe Dell/Sigmatel do have a driver update here that should fix you up. If you're using an X-Fi and this is happening, disable "Sound Blaster Enhancements" under Control Panel and Properties for the X-Fi.

* Vista-only: Some systems have "DisableProtectedAudioDG" set to 0x1 under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Audio , which will break some audio playback. Reset that to 0x0 and Urge files should work again. (This can lead to error 0xc00d11b1 if set wrong.)

* If you're using a non-US locale format for your Date, the Recently Added feature won't work right (it likely won't show any content). Either go to the Regional and Language Options control panel, click Customize, click Date and use a MM/DD/YYYY form OR make your own "Recently Added" playlist.

* If you are using WMP11 on Media Center 2005, you should install the October Rollup (KB925766) here.

* To get a tally of the number of songs and their time from within the library, select them. That tally will show up in the chrome briefly. Or hover the mouse over the "Now Doing" region, which is the region above the playlist. If you're building a playlist in the rightmost library pane, you may need to push Stop in order to get the time to show up.

* To start the player in Now Playing, update your WMP shortcut to be "wmplayer.exe /Task:NowPlaying"

* The white corner dots that can appear aren't removable - either switch to Classic Menus or resize the player (which only fixes it until player restart).

* v11 setup issues are covered here.

* There likely will not be a Windows Media Player 11 Enterprise Deployment Pack. You're welcome. You can get this if you ask your Microsoft contact nicely.

* You can uninstall the WMP11 through the Add/Remove Programs control panel. If you have run old versions of CCleaner (they have fixed this in current builds), those will destroy WMP's ability to uninstall. If you have run CCleaner or otherwise find that uninstall fails, you should still be able to use the System Restore point that WMP created in order to roll back to your previous player version. If you have run CCleaner and System Restore does not work, contact Product Support - steps to do so are available under WMP's Help menu.

* The MMS protocol was deprecated many years ago (v9), and with WMP11 MMS URLs will only work if the server has MMS over HTTP support turned on (preferably for both "Enable HTTP distribution for Windows Media Station service" and "Enable HTTP streaming for Windows Media Unicast service". (KB article.) MMS is only used as a rollover protocol in WMP11.

* Roxio Drag to Disc and Sonic DLA lock the optical drives to appear as hard drives. This blocks WMP from burning to disc. Turn them off if you want to burn with WMP.

* Archaic MS visualizations are not supported.

* If your remote content viewer doesn't see WMP's shared library, remove and readd the sync relationship.

* The Network Sharing Service needs the Universal Plug and Play Device Host, HTTP SSL, and SSDP Discovery services to be functional/running in order to work.

* If you have an iPod and want to use it with WMP, stuff like DopISP and MusicBridge is your friend.

* Vista-only: If you want to use the 64bit version of WMP as the default player on Vista 64-bit, run "unregmp2.exe /SwapTo:64" from an ELEVATED (admin) cmd.exe prompt and then set registry value HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\wmplayer.exe, "Path" to be "%Programfiles%\Windows Media Player". To undo that, reset the "Path" value and then run "unregmp2.exe /SwapTo:32" from an elevated cmd.exe prompt. This will not work in Windows 7.

* If you're using a super-minimum XPe image, it's not going to work with WMP since WMP requires the crypto service. You would need to rebuild your target image to include the crypto service/infrastructure.

* If you're using a Linksys BEFSR41 router, you'll need to enable Multicast in the router's security setttings. Otherwise that will block the Windows Media Connect / Network Sharing Service from working.

* If you want v11 to queue on double-clicks in the library, set HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences, value name "LibraryDoubleClickQueueV11" to the REG_DWORD value 0x1

• 2 weeks later...

I have resolved the problem.

It is a problem and resolution that makes me feel like a complete twit.

I have a Microsoft Keyboard that can start and stop programmes from its keys. I had enabled pause on the play key for WMP11 and so locked out Mouse control function.

Yeah I am an idiot... :lol::lol::lol:

However, for anyone with unexplained issues and a pro-active keyboard check your key settings first..

To all who have offered help "THANKYOU!!!!!" from a Noob.

I have resolved the problem.

It is a problem and resolution that makes me feel like a complete twit.

I have a Microsoft Keyboard that can start and stop programmes from its keys. I had enabled pause on the play key for WMP11 and so locked out Mouse control function.

Yeah I am an idiot... :lol::lol::lol:

However, for anyone with unexplained issues and a pro-active keyboard check your key settings first..

To all who have offered help "THANKYOU!!!!!" from a Noob.

Hats off to you for having the courage to admit it my friend. Most folks that suffer from 'finger-problems' never admit it.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote