Keeping Warm!

luckydenvermint

Wear a woolly hat (a massive amount of body heat is lost through the head) and as Janet says multiple thin layers (as its the air trapped between them that keeps you warm).

A lot of my winter fishing is for pike and I prefer a mobile approach often leap frogging multiple rods over quite long distances on drains and rivers, Moon boots do keep your feet warm but they ain't no fun to walk far in! I take a small section of foam matting that I put my feet on when sat down its amazing how much warmer your feet are then.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Fortunately when i left the mob all of my camo gear came with me so i have a couple of full sets of CS95/98. As everyone keeps mentioning layers is the way forward a full set of dpm gear should be longjohns, trousers, olive t-shirt, norgy, camo shirt, field jacket and if you are really cold you can get a parka jacket too but to be honest unless you are in norway doing arctic survival then you'll get heat exaustion under all that. The good thing as well is to get all that gear you should have change from £100 ish if you know someone in the armed forces they can actually buy it from the stores and iirc its cheaper than the online shops ;)

Also for the more tactically minded carper (i've been reading anderoos thread too) MoD camo is also available in arctic and desert patterns to ensure you blend into any enviroment

thermal leggings, wooly army issue socks, wellies, padded jacket, wooly hat. Cant wear gloves as its too hard to tie hooks and things. That is in the dead of winter, when its at its coldest and im ledgering so dont get any heat from walking around. I also wear several shirts haha. What do you wear?

I go for thermal leggings and thermal t shirt as base layers, then a t-shirt on top with my trusty north face fleece and then a waterproof jacket. Combat trousers on the bottom, 2 pairs of socks, wooly hat and some crappy gloves that I put on and off each time re-bait, make changes etc. My core is always warm - just the hands and feet I'm having trouble with.

Going to get some moonboots though as well as fingerless gloves and I may even join the 'tool' brigade and get one of the Leeda all in one suits from Argos!

Sat in an icy wind today and whilst I did keep my core pretty warm with thermals etc my hands and feet were freezing after a few hours in the shade.

So just wondering mainly how other AN forum members plan to keep themselves warm this winter?

Feet I presume some kind of padded wellies? my standard ones with a couple of pairs of socks failed miserably today!

And is there a practical option for keeping the hands warm whilst still maintaining dexterity?

Finally does anyone else use the full one piece body suits or do people think when they see others wearing these they look a bit of a tool? :rolleyes:

I'd wear a Batman outfit if it was going to keep me toasty!

I tend to periodically sit in the car to thaw out if I can park next to the swim.Always reeling in beforehand may I add!

I'd like to take the missus, but not a fishing fan, unfortunately, so I'd just end up with a cold shoulder anyway.

In life we all have an unspeakable secret, an irreversible regret, an unreachable dream and an unforgettable love.

• 4 weeks later...

Until recently for all my winter fishing I wore the same as I wore in the summer with the addition of a rainproof jacket and a woolly hat my wife knitted. Following some major moans I asked the guys on here and ended up getting a Sundrige slik Mk2 suit and a Wychwood Maximiser Combo...I was so hot I in the wychwood I thought I would melt and dry for the first time in heavy rain many thanks guys and girls for the tips...but is there anything a bit lighter that will also keep me reasonably warm and dry without that melting feeling?

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Until recently for all my winter fishing I wore the same as I wore in the summer with the addition of a rainproof jacket and a woolly hat my wife knitted. Following some major moans I asked the guys on here and ended up getting a Sundrige slik Mk2 suit and a Wychwood Maximiser Combo...I was so hot I in the wychwood I thought I would melt and dry for the first time in heavy rain many thanks guys and girls for the tips...but is there anything a bit lighter that will also keep me reasonably warm and dry without that melting feeling?

Belstaff M/C waxed jacket. Regret selling mine now, nothing is as comfy and practical as that was. Smelly too but its part of the charm.

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

Layers for me...tights, under thermal longjohns. vests etc., followed by long sleeve t-shirts, short sleeved t-shirts and several layers on top until I'm so wrapped up that I can hardly move...sometimes I think I have so many layers that I'm in contention for a "pass the parcel" competition...!

Far better to be too warm and to have to remove a layer than to be sat shivering....it's easier to cool down than it is to warm up...

Hot drinks are also crucial. Either a flask filled with coffee/tea or full of hot water for making instant hot OXO drinks or Pot Noodles...yes, they may be vile, but they have their place!

A decent hat can also make all the difference...I have several and I look like a right pillock in all of them, but I'm warm and I'm fishing, so I don't really care...

I usually give up when I lose the feeling in my fingers and toes...it's supposed to be fun after all!

Janet

Dont wear cotton as it absorbs moisture then gets cold. That includes jeans. Wool is good. Even better are man made fibres they wick away any sweat so keep you warm.

My outfit is thermal vest and long johns. Hiking trousers, which have a fleece lining. Fleece shirt topped with a fleece jacket. Then saloupettes and jacket. I find that I rarely need the jacket but replace it with an insulated waistcoat. Skeetex socks and thermal boots.

I dont bother with gloves preferring 2 hand warmers.