Lidl's latest fishing tackle range

chavender

Looked at the "Pike" kit.

Four 100g pirks, 1 150g pirk, a bunch of muppets and a few bits and oieces.

Unless Pike have taken up residence over the mid chanel wreaks, nothing in the kit is actually appropriate.

I'd actually checked it out in case the pirks had turned out to be 30 - 50g each in which case I'd have picked some up for fishing the tropics but there was no way to tell from the advert.

Also had a look at some of the other kist - all trash and one appears to contain illegal lead weights !

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, just got back from Lidl in Worcester.

I went nuts and bought 4 rods and reels. I bought two telescopic rods with cork handles and reels for forthcoming holiday in France, they came with small boxes of rubbish terminal tackle. An 8 1/4 foot 5/6 carbon fly rod with a cork handle, fly reel and fly line with small assortment of flies. A 13 foot carbon carp rod with cork handle and "baitrunner" reel I estimate the test curve at 2 1/2 lbs, comes with two naff push-in "quiver tips" and bit of terminal tackle. Total cost: 80 quid. The fly and carp outfits were the last they had. They had sold out of bite alarms. I have just inspected all my purchases and the quality is not too bad at all. Why I bought the carp gear I have no idea, I never go "carp fishing" it just seemed like a good idea at the time. They have two types of waders the £15 ones looked not too bad. All the reels come with mono loaded which is absolutely cr@p and will need to be replaced with some decent stuff. The weirdest thing they had was a 6 metre (18 feet!) telescopic rod and reel outfit. Fish finder thing's cable is 11.5 metres.

[ 26. April 2005, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: Gobio ]

Looked at the "Pike" kit.

Four 100g pirks, 1 150g pirk, a bunch of muppets and a few bits and oieces.

Unless Pike have taken up residence over the mid chanel wreaks, nothing in the kit is actually appropriate.

I'd actually checked it out in case the pirks had turned out to be 30 - 50g each in which case I'd have picked some up for fishing the tropics but there was no way to tell from the advert.

Also had a look at some of the other kist - all trash and one appears to contain illegal lead weights !

In fairness to Lidl, the pike' kit is marked 'pilk' which I think is a heavy norwegian cod/ling lure. So the description of the goods is about right, although they are a bit lightweight for cod. The rest of the stuff is surprisingly good, albeit typically continental. Undersize lures, oversize floats and the reels are a bit tinny. However its all great value for money. If you look at the cheaper end of the Askari catalogue you'll recognise a lot of it. The lure box, as I said before, is particularly good value at 9.99. They are apart from colour, absolutely identical to the Plano box that I once paid 43 quid for. Whover made them made the Plano boxes too. Almost bought one. Agree with Gobio, the 15 quid waders looked a steal, although you'll likely sweat buckets if you use them in summer.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

I've just bought the fish-finder, but not for finding fish! I wanted it as a very cheap depth finder for a sailing boat. Anyway, have already played with it, great. You need a string on a Smartcast transducer, here the wire does away with the need for a string. As a tackle box fish finder I guess it would be great. Use the transducer like a torch when pointing the beam to find whatever you are looking for.

Matthew,

I went to the other Lidl in Blackpole. I got the last carp outfit and the last fly outfit, they had a lot of other stuff but it is selling fast. The knife set is good value for a fiver, the rod rest thing looks interesting, the fish finder I would not know what to do with, in a way I don't really want to see what is under the surface, takes the mystery away for me I guess. The tackle boxes are good value even if you throw away the dodgy tackle inside.

I'm not sure if the fly outfit would have been much good for you. it is a stream outfit really but I have been looking for a very light outfit for a while for the wife, I am going to try and teach her fly fishing this summer. If I were you and wanted to take up fly fishing I would go for a 9' or 9' 6" No. 7 or 8.

the nuts and bolt kits in your local £1 shop are great value ,chuck away the nuts and bolts and you get a good box worth more than the contents :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I bought the fish-finder, just for curiosity, and tried it out on my local carp pond - I shoved it out with my landing-net handle, but the drift kept bringing it back in to the bank. It was just frustrating to watch, though - I could actually see fish swimming past my swim, but nothing was biting except some very small carp. I found out there had been a match the previous day so the fish just weren't intrested.

But I reckon it could be useful as a depth-finder.

Guest Ferret1959

Michael G:

I bought the fish-finder, just for curiosity, and tried it out on my local carp pond - I shoved it out with my landing-net handle, but the drift kept bringing it back in to the bank.  It was just frustrating to watch, though - I could actually see fish swimming past my swim, but nothing was biting except some very small carp.  I found out there had been a match the previous day so the fish just weren't intrested.

But I reckon it could be useful as a depth-finder.

Best used off a boat. :)

I bought one to plot my stretch of river which I'll be doing just before the season starts.

I know the fish are there, just want to know depths. :)