Lidl's latest fishing tackle range

chavender

(With apologies for verbosity :) )

I only started coarse fishing recently. All the time I was only salt water fishing I couldn't be bothered to try it as it meant getting a rod licence. Last year though I started fly fishing occasionally, and when I renewed my licence this year, decided I should make the most of it, and have a go.

So.. to get to the point, when I saw Lidls ad I thought this would be a great opportunity to pick up a few bits for the "new" bit of the hobby, as well as the old bits.

So on Monday straight to the Brighton branch after work and picked up some bits:

the fly vest, very nice at price,

2 rod rests, use 1 with the legs all the way out for sea fishing, use 2 with the legs in as a poor man's "rod pod" and they fit on a motorbike

the wind break, it does the job,

and the knife set, cracking value, even if the knives don't hold an edge long there's 3 of them, and the phoney swiss army knife is good enough to save taking my real one fishing.

The boxes of tackle were a disappointment though, the spinners and floats etc looked like they came out of a Xmas cracker, so I didn't bother.

Now from the ad I'd just assumed the rods and reels would be tat. When I saw the carp rod though I was very tempted, it looked better quality than I'd expected, and as a 3 piece it would fit on the bike, and a "baitrunner" type reel too. I didn't have enough cash with me at the time though. For a couple of days I ummed and arred 'til on Friday I decided to try and get one. Brighton and Worthing had run out but Burgess Hill had 1 left, I also picked up a landing net, not great but it beats using my trout net.

I took the new rod down to Passies Ponds yesterday, to begin with I used it as sold except for the barbed hooklength(!) which I replaced with a hair rigged barbless no 2(too big, but what I had). Had no luck with this, so popped into the shop and picked up a flat method feeder and a pack of no 8s. On my 2nd cast using bread paste in the feeder and luncheon meat on the hook, the baitrunner did exactly what it was supposed to and ran as I hooked into a 12lb 10oz common. The rod worked well (bearing in mind it's the first carp rod I've used) giving plenty of feedback and never feeling over stressed. The reel wasn't quite as good, as Matthew has already mentioned the main drag was a bit on the fiddly side, but a bit of hand dragging while I found the sweet spot did the trick.

So my Lidl carp rod caught me my 2nd best ever fish on it's first outing, result! :D

All the best,

Will.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ferret1959

Here's some one trying to cash in on the Lidl bargains me thinks.

Tackle box

Bite alarm

Can't blame um though. :):)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Just noticed a few hits to this thread, so I'm bumping it up to see if anyone can add to it....

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE