The future of fishing

Peter M

i can relate to being a youngerster as it werent long ago for me(23 now),saving my paper round money so i could buy maggots and fresh casters,and the odd bits n bobs, trips on the bus,the blanks,the "monsters" we hooked and lost.i remember it well ...infact i still fish with my mate,whom i've fished with since i was 13-14,i was self taught as i lost my dad at a young age.(my earliset manual if ya like was "the art of fishing" weekly)remeber that? and i still do pass on that knowledge when i see youngsters out there today fishing altho as peter says some dont need it!

[ 23. July 2004, 06:41 AM: Message edited by: Ratty46 ]

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the ways to develop a long-term love of angling is to make steady progress. This can be in terms of the fish caught getting bigger, the skill of the angler, or in the quality and sophistication of the tackle and methods used. A youngster who is bought all of the top gear and taken to catch a 'twenty' on their first outing may lose interest when subsequent outings prove less successful. I was concerned for the mum of an angler, who couldn't have been more than about twelve, in the tackle shop last week, who was being told by the lad that he needed a thirteen metre pole. He may have been a junior international match angler, I know, but it was more likely to have been an example of the 'I want what I want and I want it now!' mentality that can be so very damaging.

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.

Don't take your kid's (especialy girlies) fishing with you! - they will always get the best fish!!!! :D

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

My daughter had her first try last summer at the age of 13. We were staying on a farm that has some fishing ponds and one was a real fish a chuck type. I thought she'd be typically 'girlie' about it (sorry ladies!), but how wrong could i be! First practise cast in the car park went off at 45 degrees, the second went dead straight. Off to the pond and before i knew what was happening she'd cast, caught, swung the fish to hand, unhooked and was carefully slipping it back in the water. What a natural! Nearly every evening we were there she'd fish for these small carp, accurately loose feeding to keep them interested and catching many fish. She doesn't want to know at home, but we're back down to the farm next month and she says she can't wait to have another go.

[ 23. July 2004, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: Slyder ]

Gary

><((((º>`·.¸¸´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><(((º>

.·´¯`·.><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´><((((º>

couldnt agree more pangolin,i learnt that way,my fish have got bigger and the tackle better more sophisticated(and my skills too!).two of my mates (same age as me) fish for carp only, one is intrested in other species but mainly a carper, anyway,the other has only just started and he's got all the gear and yes hes caught several twenties,but i think hes missed that progression stage,wich is a shame as the other guy who goes with him hasnt he started with single figure carp at a younger age.

[ 23. July 2004, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: Ratty46 ]

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

I agree with a lot of the postings. The problem I find is with the kids who go to the water "for a lark". These are the kids who are dropped off by a parent of one of them who happen to own an MPV, who turn round as soon as the kids have peeled out of the car and say "I'll be back to fetch you at 5.00pm, behave!" and disappear before the owner can tell her that the kids are NOT welcome on their own.

Trying to help, showing one of them how to fish properly, you end up being told to eff off you effing pervert and spend the rest of the day being pelted with boilies.

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

John, I'm very heartened indeed to see the EA's figures for junior licences. Thanks for letting us know.

I've just taken Peggy's nephew fishing again. This time I taught him to cast, which I hadn't done before so that he could concentrate on actually catching. Simon's a real specimen hunter in the making - he's not interesting in small fish any more and is perfectly prepared to sit patiently for a big 'un, and he ended up with a good carp!

I'm also taking a neighbour's son lure fishing this summer. I just wish I had someone to show me the ropes when I was a lad - it would have saved a lot of blank trips!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Kendo, i think its because she has a siamese twin thing going on with her computer when she's at home! She also seems absolutely convinced that it's going to pour down if we're within 20 miles of our house, and she doesn't do rain!!

Gary

><((((º>`·.¸¸´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><(((º>

.·´¯`·.><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´><((((º>