Sturgeon

Jamie Thornton

I'm possibly going back to BC next year [2009] around August/September. Looking to perhaps get a party together, 6 days Sturgeon/Salmon fishing, 2 days traveling will cost around £2000 each. That's flights, transport, hotel [b&B] licenses, guides [tackle provided]. Evening meals are extra. Anyone interested drop me a PM. Nothing definite as yet but it would be good to get a few likely names together.

Colin

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went last year beginning of September with Cascade Fishing Adventures with nine others, six guys stayed for 5 days cost £1200, four of us stayed on and fished a further five days cost £1700, prices included air flights, transport to Chilliwack and back, hotel only (found it was easier and far better to eat away from the hotel having used the that hotel before in 2004), all tackle, bait and the very excellent guides.

So the only other extras were meals which in Canada are cheap and lots of it and your beer money, must admit we did struggle for a decent pint, strangest pint of Guinness I have ever tasted but the Canadians love it, if they went to Ireland they would think they had gone to heaven.

If you can afford it a wonderful holiday in a wonderful country there is no other fish in freshwater that can pull your string like the Great White Sturgeon.

Yeah, there are some big ones in the Fraser river as the picture in the Daily Mail shows.

Sturgeon2APX_468x282.jpg

I have seen them in the Colombia River (Oregon) up to about nine feet in length - that was at the Bonneville Dam. However when I was fishing at Hemingford Grey on the Great Ouse over 40 years ago, the owners of the house by the weir pool showed me a picture of a 186lb sturgeon that had been caught there. That was an impressive fish.

For those who might visit Oregon it is worth bearing in mind to try some smoked sturgeon, it is very tasty.

There was another Sturgeon caught from the 100 foot river at Mepal many years ago, I believe there is a photo in the Pickerels PH in the village. I must call in sometime and check it out.

I assume the smoked Sturgeon is farmed??

Colin

• 2 months later...

The great-grandfather of one of the bailiffs of my angling club in Kent used to be a professional sturgeon fishermen on the Medway.

Although very rare, back in the 50's 60's a few sturgeon were still turning up in UK waters.

Once a tributary of the Rhine, the Thames is just one of the rivers that used to hold sturgeon (sturgeon are one of those fish that move between the sea and the rivers).

Germany is now looking to bring back it's sturgeon populations

see: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/sto...geonexport.html

Maybe a few of those will find there way back to restock the UK rivers, especially as there is a programme for restoring other migratory fish, such as shads, lamprey and others, by fitting in fish passes and weirs to UK rivers.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

The biggest fish caught in UK waters on rod a line was a 388lb Sturgeon from the River Tywi in Wales in 1933.

You can read the story of it's capture here...

http://www.seatroutfestival.com/monster.htm

Chris

Sorry to drag up old posts but I have never read this story and what a story it is, that is something to pass down forever and to have such a wonderfull account and picture its excellent.

John