Sturgeon

Jamie Thornton

Jamie Thornton:

It was the first time I'd seen a wild one in real-life before - i'd only seen them in aqautic centres etc. Apparently they are quite rare!? Especially in lakes.

What you catch in the lakes originally came out of aquatic centres - they aren't wild fish. Many have been illegaly stocked by venues wanting a selling point, and some venues get them licenced as official fish farms so that they can stock them. Most of them are Sterlets with some of them being from the smaller species - they are not the same species as those that grow to 100's of pounds.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hereford_angler:

WOW! Hereford museum used to have a pike of about 30lb+ in it. I rember it in the papers. It stopped people letting their babies paddle in the Wye all together for years.

I think the Pitt Rivers Museum in Oxford has a largish pike wiht the also quite decent sized pike that choked it to death...both stuffed together, the smaller down the other's throat!

I seem to remember it's also got a coelacanth too!

Hi

Not caught any myself but my brother has caught about 4 all around the 3-4lb mark.They where all caught from a public fishery in apley bridge called beacon hill fishery(up norf near wigan) apperntly they get caught there quite regular.

Regards Paul Mc

I have a photo of an 18lb Sturgeon lumped out of a pond here in East Yorks. The guy who caught it said it was quite fond of Trigga boilies.

Rather strange looking fish if you ask me. The bloke who caught it thought he'd hooked a PB Carp at the time.

Tight Lines

Chris

There's a place called judges at a hall in kirklevington cleveland (kirklevington hall actually)just south of Yarm on the A19, which has them in an artificial pond (along with carp to 15lb)they look big, I don't know how dense they are but working on carp scales I'd say 8 to 10 lb. tHe pond is small(ish) and clear, though deep, and the sturgeon usually put on a good display swimming about..... a good place to start if you want to see one in the North East.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Think I'll rub it in a little. It is nearly impossible to catch carp on the Missouri river on lobworms in the hot months, damn Sturgeon get in the way! The shame is, No longer too many big ones, commerical fishermen take them.

Phone

PS Be careful for the bones if you eat one :)

"What you catch in the lakes originally came out of aquatic centres - they aren't wild fish."

I knew that but what I meant was, being caught in a lake or river, not being bred by any one or being owned by an aquarium. A little confusing I know - I just hadnt seen one before other than in ponds at aquariums etc.

[ 08 July 2002, 06:13 PM: Message edited by: Jamie Thornton ]