Sturgeon

Jamie Thornton

Anglers Mail this week page 4,story of a guy who caught three 60lb plus sturgeon in a day from a suffolk lake.Apparently all 3 fish bottomed out his 60lb scales so the true weight will never be known

Suprised know one else has picked up on this or has it been exposed as hoax?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anglers Mail this week page 4,story of a guy who caught three 60lb plus sturgeon in a day from a suffolk lake.Apparently all 3 fish bottomed out his 60lb scales so the true weight will never be known

Did they say where? A quick search threw up Fendick's Fishery for sturgeon, which is near the Norfolk / Suffolk border.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Here's one I caught on the Fraser River in Canada. A day's fishing cost me about 300 quid and the guide said it was the smallest sturgeon he had ever seen!!! Also lost a biggie after a long fight :(

Yeah, there are some big ones in the Fraser river as the picture in the Daily Mail shows.

Sturgeon2APX_468x282.jpg

I have seen them in the Colombia River (Oregon) up to about nine feet in length - that was at the Bonneville Dam. However when I was fishing at Hemmingford Grey on the Great Ouse over 40 years ago, the owners of the house by the weir pool showed me a picture of a 186lb stugeon that had been caught there. That was an impressive fish.

For those who might visit Oregon it is worth bearing in mind to try some smoked sturgeon, it is very tasty.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Norma and I had plenty of White Sturgeon in four days on the Fraser River

here's one - had to play them all from a sitting position as I ricked my back the day before the trip - hence the pain on my face!

sturgeon152dpix1.jpg

Have also had quite a few sterlet from various ponds in the South-east

like this

sterlet1stubszc8.jpg

They go like nuclear submarines - just look at the size of the tail and rear finnage and you can see why.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Hi Vagabond

See you were with Mark Laynes (great guide and bloke) went with him September last year with a few of my friends, we had them up to 335 lb. Not the cheapest holiday but if you can a holiday to remember.

Elton

Witch lake near mildenhall

Cheers for that.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Hi

I can assure you that it is no hoax I fished this lake last August and had 5 Sturgeon in 48hrs. 52lb, 3 x 56lb and the bigest 61lb I also had 46 carp and a small catfish 16lb. The owner told me the sturgeon go up to 150lb, some of the speciems I saw jump were huge.

One of my pictures is on the CCMoore website (link below) the picture is actually one of the 56 pounders and not the 61lb like they say.

http://www.ccmoore.com/galleries_feedback/...allery_2007.asp