Quirky lures

Fours

I fancy the idea of making my own lures this year.

How scientific does the design need to be?

I remember reading many moons ago about using an old door handle from a Cortina!

I don't know whether this was genuine, or if it would have been successful.

The idea of recycling some piece of 'junk' for the purpose appeals though!

Any thoughts?

In life we all have an unspeakable secret, an irreversible regret, an unreachable dream and an unforgettable love.

I wouldn't imagine the design would need to be scientific at all.

Just more ''Creative''

My dad who is currently making neolithic lures/hooks ect: has adapted almost like the ''Fly'' for pike fishing.

It comprises of a bone hook that has been hand made, laced with feathers, string ect: which will cause some nice shiny sparkles/flashes and movements through the water.

All you really need to do is ensure the size is adequate, and the lure would perform reasonably (My means of not weighing 7kg's and instantly hooking the bottom :lol:

Spoons are a personal favourite. I have saw people purchase a standard wooden brush handle. They cut it into 3-5 inch strips and that is the body of their lure. Then they just drill and attach hooks/swivels and paint/decorate it with bright colours and things like feathers ect:

You can also drill small holes and insert weights for different depths of fishing. I have even saw people drill a hold just shy of right through it, chuck in some ballbearings, and then seal the top with waterproof tape or resin creating a rattle.

You can angle the front of the broom stick slightly to create a wobbling effect.

The possibilities really are endless!

The only part where I would say you have to be careful is the design itself. You want a lure which you can be 100% positive will not fail (Thats why the spoons work well!) as they are metal. With wooden broom lures its always good to test the strength of the trebles fittings before doing the decorating. I personally liked putting them into a vice and then grabbing some sturdy pliers and ensuring the wood wasn't going to fail where the treble hole was drilled. The last thing you want is the trble to become detached.

Also a good sanding is recommended. Make sure there are no splinters/sharp edges on it. You can also use a waterproof varnish (The the stuff for your outdoor shed door) as this strengthens up the lure, provides water protection, and also seals it better protecting your paint/decorating.

Edited by larsagi2010

Species Caught 2011: Mirror Carp, Barbel, Ide, Rudd, Roach, Bleak, Perch, Bream,

Species Caught 2010: Perch, Pike, Roach, Rudd, Bleak, Bream, Gudgeon, Ruffe, Ide, Tench, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Barbel, Chub, F1, Crusian Carp, Goldfish

Try here:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/coarse-fishing...made_lures.html

The car-door handle thing relates to sea fishing pirks, I think.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Right at the moment, I'm keeping my eye out for cheap and relativly small waterproof vibrating adult "toys". .

The intention is to strap some hooks on and give one a go - both for pike and for barramundi at night.

I recently just missed out on some that were being sold for £3 a pop.

The point is that imagination is the only real limitation.

BTW, the history button on my PC brings up some very odd pages....

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Right at the moment, I'm keeping my eye out for cheap and relativly small waterproof vibrating adult "toys". .

The intention is to strap some hooks on and give one a go - both for pike and for barramundi at night.

I recently just missed out on some that were being sold for £3 a pop.

The point is that imagination is the only real limitation.

BTW, the history button on my PC brings up some very odd pages....

:clap: :clap: :clap:

LMAO, love it!

I have a really strong urge now to tempt a pike using a Dilly :yeah:

Species Caught 2011: Mirror Carp, Barbel, Ide, Rudd, Roach, Bleak, Perch, Bream,

Species Caught 2010: Perch, Pike, Roach, Rudd, Bleak, Bream, Gudgeon, Ruffe, Ide, Tench, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Barbel, Chub, F1, Crusian Carp, Goldfish

the table spoons are great for lures, i made a few of different sizes but never got round to useing them as summer had kicked in, will be bustin them out shortly.

the spoons handle could be used also, i have some short ones that are shaped oddly too :)

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Don't come quirkier than this...

:o

C.

That is nuts! Or maybe its carrots?? :lol: