Confidence casting feeders

Angly

Although I've returned to fishing, my previous experince didn't include much ledgering work, and so I find I have a problem. I now own a Shimano Hyperloop BX 12' medium feeder rod, rated for 100g casting weight about (3.5oz), which I take to mean total weight of feeder plus feed. I've read somewhere that I shouldn't have problems getting out to 40 yards or so with a rod of this class.

But here's the thing. Even casting lighter all up weights, I'm nervous of snapping the rod, no doubt due to my being used to casting far lighter weights when float fishing. Is it even possible to snap a rod casting the designed weight? Am I being paranoid? I was casting a pellet filled (half damp, half dry) 20g feeder on Tuesday, and getting that the required 25 yards was breaking me out in a sweat! (Stop laughing!). How do I get over this 'anglers block'?

:huh::rolleyes::unsure::(

I have a Shimano Nexave AX feeder, usually with a 3oz tip. I've used this for method feeders on numerous occasions, although never any higher than a 25g loaded feeder, and not had anything snap yet. The lob method always seems to work fine, and it's casting happily 30-40 yards accurately.

Just back from a couple of days working with Will Raison and, most pertinent to this question, we spent the second day looking at the technique of three anglers and helped them improve.

It was very noticeable that these three anglers were all very nervous of compressing the rod properly on the cast at the start of the day. I suspect this is the case here as well.

You need to use the 'meat' in the rod i.e. the middle and butt, to cast a loaded feeder in just the same way that you need to use it to play a fish as well. When you fully compress a rod in the cast, you are firmly in control of what happens. As soon as you ease back, you will no longer be fishing so consistently because you will struggle to use the same amount of force each time.

I would get out onto a lake, load up a feeder and cast to open water. Make sure you have a drop of around 4 feet from rod tip to feeder before you cast, that will help with both distance and accuracy. Try to put more bend into the middle and butt on each cast and don't worry too much about accuracy at first. You will need to work on one aspect of your technique before tackling other areas, so get casting distance right and then aim to hit the same distance regularly. Once you are happy that you are pushing the rod to the limit, you can then work on becoming more accurate.

Distances over water can be very deceptive, perhaps the 40 yards you're aiming for are more like 50? I would expect your rod to cast 40 yards fairly comfortably with the type of feeder you suggest, but unless your technique is spot on, that may be close to the limit. Maybe a slightly stronger and/or longer rod may help you hit the target.

Good luck,

Steve

The Mahseer Trust, working for one of the world's iconic fish and the rivers they live in

www.mahseertrust.org

Fishery info for the Westcountry:
www.coarsefish-torbay.co.uk

Want to learn from Will Raison and Neil Machin?
check out
www.v2vangling.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...

Right, thanks Neil, Rich, and Steve, all very helpful.

At the end of my session yesterday the lake was deserted, so I took the opportunity to practice casting for a few minutes. Using a 2.5oz bomb (the heaviest I had available at the time) I eventually managed to work up to casting a measured (Google Earth) 55yds (hard to be precise, I'm measuring off weed beds that change size over the course of the year and indeed season to season). It still feels very awkward and alien though to have that much weight on such a light rod (my Hyperloop Medium Feeder rod weighs less than my Catana Match rod!). I guess I just need to practice, practice, practice. Luckily my post 16th jaunts to the Thames will involve absolute minimum 40yard casts to the far bank tree-line, so I guess I'll get there eventually! :rolleyes:

Geoff

I have a pair of power loops the predesseor to the hyper loop. I've cast loaded feeders with these to about 70yds sO you should be quite safe to give a little more umpf . The biggest thing probably holding you back now is probably the style or size of reel. But a "BIG" pit reel would look right on a 12 ft medium heavy feeder rod lol. What would the camo squad say.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

Although I've returned to fishing, my previous experince didn't include much ledgering work, and so I find I have a problem. I now own a Shimano Hyperloop BX 12' medium feeder rod, rated for 100g casting weight about (3.5oz), which I take to mean total weight of feeder plus feed. I've read somewhere that I shouldn't have problems getting out to 40 yards or so with a rod of this class.

But here's the thing. Even casting lighter all up weights, I'm nervous of snapping the rod, no doubt due to my being used to casting far lighter weights when float fishing. Is it even possible to snap a rod casting the designed weight? Am I being paranoid? I was casting a pellet filled (half damp, half dry) 20g feeder on Tuesday, and getting that the required 25 yards was breaking me out in a sweat! (Stop laughing!). How do I get over this 'anglers block'?

:huh::rolleyes::unsure::(

Little tip for everyone, when reeling in or just before casting out, immerse the top couple of foot of your rod into the water to lubricate the eyes. It helps when casting heavy weights which drag your line violently across the eyes and wear your line. Worn line = snap offs = scratched heads!