Inflatable Kayaks

Renrag39

Had a look at a dinghy on eBay. 1) It wouldn't fit on my rack reliably, I have a saloon and I'm buggered if I'm changing my car to get a dinghy on it and obviously I could get extended racks but 2) Yeah it was fairly light but I tried to imagine trying to heave it on top of my car, alone, after a long days fishing, in the middle of winter with a puff of wind, as its getting or already dark... aint gonna happen, I'm fit (ish) but I can see me abandoning the boat after a few trips with the popular saying of 'f*** it, I'm knackered'.

This then got me thinking about inflatables. I initially dismissed the idea thinking sharp pointy hooks+inflatable=the inevitable 'pssshhhhh.... glub glub glub'. But the dismissal of the hard dinghy made me do some research. Hmmm, bit tougher than I thought. Good-o. Then comes the practicality. Small(er), light(er) then experience rears its ugly face. Many moons ago, my Dad had a 6' one as a tender. On goes 2hp O/B... Oh my, they're not the most efficient hulls are they? No they're bloody not, cue overheated O/B @ 2kts and a long row back, air cooled I know but it was mid-winter!!! And the rowing, well, forget it. It'd have been easier to swim, bugger the temperature!!!

Ok, can't really manhandle a hard dinghy, don't want to spend £20+ on petrol to move a glorified inner tube.

Admittedly, I totally overlooked hard shell kayaks and canoes, not the most stable (for my liking) and still unwieldy lugging to and fro (yep, I'm outrageously lazy) and humping gurt big fings onto roof. Hi ho, hmmm, inflatable kayaks...

So thats where I am atm. Any recommendations? Got iro £300 but can (reluctantly) pay a bit more for something of better quality/suitability.

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

Oh, suppose i'd best give a bit more info about myself and requirements.

Me- 5'10", 11st, fit(ish), experienced on the water with boats/kitesurfing/surfing etc.

Requirements- Tandem capability would be nice but not essential, to be used on slow to medium flowing rivers and broads. Would be nice if it could also be used on calm days on the sea for fun. Durability is everything. Don't mind secondhand. Think more of touring capability than outright speed. Good tracking ability another plus point.

Thanks in advance,

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

• 3 weeks later...
Oh, suppose i'd best give a bit more info about myself and requirements.

Me- 5'10", 11st, fit(ish), experienced on the water with boats/kitesurfing/surfing etc.

Requirements- Tandem capability would be nice but not essential, to be used on slow to medium flowing rivers and broads. Would be nice if it could also be used on calm days on the sea for fun. Durability is everything. Don't mind secondhand. Think more of touring capability than outright speed. Good tracking ability another plus point.

Thanks in advance,

Renrag

Avoid inflatable kayaks at all costs.

However, I have seen another type of kayak recently on the net, a 'foldable' one. Looked ok, ideal for what you need. I'll see if I can find it.

http://www.sea-urchin.co.uk/page21.htm

There you go, just the job.

Edited by maidstonemike

Way too late. Already gotten an IK, a Z-Pro Tango TA200. Would be interested to hear why I shouldn't have though and also if you have used one for any length of time?

Renrag

Way too late. Already gotten an IK, a Z-Pro Tango TA200. Would be interested to hear why I shouldn't have though and also if you have used one for any length of time?

Renrag

I'm always late....

Looked up your kayak, ok for what it is. Depends on what you need it for, still waters and lakes will be fine.

The sea is another thing altogether. My advice would be don't use it on the sea at all if possible.

However, it it's just a bit of fun on a very calm day very close in, with no offshore wind, then it's up to you.

You won't be able to go far at sea, much too hard to paddle, so don't try.

The Bic foldable kayak has one huge advantage, it has a rigid hull.

Keep safe and have fun.

I'm always late....

Looked up your kayak, ok for what it is. Depends on what you need it for, still waters and lakes will be fine.

The sea is another thing altogether. My advice would be don't use it on the sea at all if possible.

However, it it's just a bit of fun on a very calm day very close in, with no offshore wind, then it's up to you.

You won't be able to go far at sea, much too hard to paddle, so don't try.

The Bic foldable kayak has one huge advantage, it has a rigid hull.

Keep safe and have fun.

It'll be only for fishing the broads so nice and calm rivers and, erm, broads. Might take it on the sea but only in the conditions you describe. Am used to kitesurfing so am very aware of personal safety and wind effects. Might even rig the 'yak up to a kite for giggles with a sea breeze in light surf.

Thanks for the concern and advice.

Renrag